Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Atletico H Post Match 1-1 (1-2) on aggregate

We made probably the best defensive team in the world look pretty ordinary in the 2nd half, and with better luck could've scored the 3 goals we needed. The team stayed true to their word and left everything on the pitch and showed the world that we are the Champions of England. 

If we use Athletico as a template and build year on year with good recruitment and management, we may even be top 4. I just hope Athletico go on and finally win the cup.

Guest MattP

So proud of the team.

We went head to head with one of the best teams in the World and lost 2-1 over 3 hours.

Well done boys, you gave me dreams I never imagined.

Only just finished watching after work. So proud of the lads for that performance. Second half we were immense fought for everything.

No shame in going out like that, especially to a team like atletico. To be fair they got their game plan spot on over the two legs. Can't help feeling things could have been a bit different if we had tonights ref for both legs though. 

I'm bitterly disappointed for everyone in leicester tonight but i'm immensely proud of what our club has achieved. 

We were still a championship club when they were preparing for a la Liga/champions-league double in 2014, plus nearly half the team that played tonight were in the championship that in 2013/14. 

Hats off to atletico. The best side we've faced since the great escape. Close the deal this time. 

It might be the end of an era for our greatest and most iconic side but the memories will last a lifetime. 

:scarf::chant:

I can totally understand why CS started with Shinji as we couldn't afford to concede any goal in this match in order to progress.

That's why he changed tactic at HT as well but the injury of Morgan limited more attacking change for us at the end.

2nd half we were brilliant, had a go and that's all we could ask for against the best team I have seen since we have been back in the premier league or in the champions league.

we ran out of a little steam at about 80 minutes, that could have been a mental thing know we had to get 2. 

The penalty in the first leg gave us a mini mountain to climb, that shouldn't have been there.

Fantastic night, despite not going through. The team put in a tremendous effort in the second half. I said we'd need all the dice to roll in our favour to win and it didn't quite happen. If we'd have got a second, I think the roof would have come off. 

The ovation in the last minute or so was amazing. 

Guest Danny Clender

Masterclass of a first half from Athletico.

Masterclass of a second half from Leicester. 

Leicester's second half was immense, to put them under so much pressure was amazing to see.

Yes the chances and opportunities didn't quite come off, but it was still a proud moment to be a part of.

Fantastic to take so many positives from the game as well, but they'll be discussed in other threads for weeks to come.

Well done everybody involved with the club, everybody!

I thought that Atletico didn't play as well as they usually do.  This was a missed opportunity for LCFC.  Shakey, has done a great job, but on international games I think his inexperience shows.  Anyway, I suppose you need to start somewhere.  He'll grow into it soon enough.

The crazy thing is we needed 3 goals in 45 minutes against arguably the best defensive side in the world, and we probably should have done. Some last ditch blocks from them the only thing stopping us. Amazing second half performance! 

45 minutes ago, Sionnach gorm said:

I thought that Atletico didn't play as well as they usually do.  This was a missed opportunity for LCFC.  Shakey, has done a great job, but on international games I think his inexperience shows.  Anyway, I suppose you need to start somewhere.  He'll grow into it soon enough.

OK what do he do wrong? The only slight criticism I had was Amartey for Wes  (should've been Gray) but other than that he got us through Sevilla,  nearly masterminded a 0-0 in Madrid but for a dodgy pen call and then made a massive call at half time last night that quite clearly worked

I've been a City fan since the 60s and have contributed to Foxestalk in the last four years.

For almost all of my life I could never have contemplated the success we've had in the last couple of years.  It's all the sweeter for having waited so long.  I would have loved us to go through against Atletico but in truth we were beaten narrowly over two legs by a better team who are in Europe's elite.

The world now expects Leicester City to vanish without trace.  The best we can do is to prove them wrong.  We have a playing style that works for us both in the PL and in Europe, we have some decent players and a good team spirit.  If we can continue to build the quality of the squad there's no reason why we can't be challenging for European slots in the PL in the future.  We don't have to be bound by our 'Little Leicester' tag or our history, the future is there for the taking.  Let's keep the journey going and not say 'Goodbye' to Europe, just 'See you later'.

8 hours ago, Beachyboy said:

This team is 8th-12th those 3 players would push us to maybe top 6 if they were supreme quality not top 4. Top 4 would be adding those 3 players hoping no injuries an no dips in form, top 4 would need 5-6 players not 3.

lol so last seasons champions could not finish top four with some additions. We would have been knocking on that door this season had CR not got it totally wrong. Also we won't have Europe to contend with.

Wow, just wow.

Not the ending we all desired, but a tremendous performance regardless, and a top atmosphere that the Atletico fans contributed to massively.

Had the pleasure of having a chat and a JD shot race with a couple of lads prematch, should of known how the evening was gonna pan out after my very narrow defeat.

Its the end of THIS journey but now is the time to prepare for the next one because the one thing I'm certain of, is our owners, our team, our club are not just going to fade away, mark my words. This experience has just been the springboard for many future successes.

Next season a new chapter will start, and who knows? It may well turn out to be another thriller, have that faith in the team that has earned it.

Absolutely love this club!!!!!

What a second half performance!

I think most of us here were realistic enough to think that going through was unlikely, but if we had to go out, that was the way to go. Definitely had them rocking for large parts of the second and with a little more luck might have scored another 1 or 2.

Their goal was well taken but I can't help thinking that Huth would have somehow got to the cross if he'd been playing.

Best performance I've seen from Chilwell, very promising as a wing back. In fact I'm quite excited that we have discovered a new formation that seems to work well.

Play like that next season and I can see us top 6 as long as we don't lose too many players.

Is it just me thinks the ref had quite a decent match? I can't think of any howlers, perhaps just the odd throw or corner given the wrong way, but that's more the linesman.

4 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

What did everyone make of the formation second half? I thought it suited us really well. Is it something we could transition to for next season? What sort of games would it benefit us?

I liked it and think it could work under Shakespeare. Was it 352 or 343 though? 

I think this could be a deadly team. Even more so if we were able to squeeze a target man in there, probably for Gray - moving Mahrez to CAM. 

Schmeichel                                                

Benny Huth Fuchs

Albrighton Drinkwater Ndidi Chilwell

Mahrez Vardy Gray 

Benny and Fuchs would improve our playing from the back by going to the wings and we can still counter. I like the idea at least lol 

Archived