Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Atletico H Post Match 1-1 (1-2) on aggregate

Our lads have been the best English team in the Champions League this year going further than the so called big boys Arsenhole and Spuds and I honestly don't think the champions league has seen the last of us,can see us signing some decent players in the summer and fighting for a top four Premier League finish !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That game showed the whole world what we are about and our ethos. We almost did it. This feels like the time when we were dumped out of the playoffs by Watford, I am gutted. But I know deep down that we will rise again and next season we will win a cup.

Have to admire Athletico too. We were immense and by the end of the game you could tell there was mutual respect for two teams who had a proper battle over two legs. When you look at the teams we've faced and beaten, we shouldn't let anything dent our aspirations for Leicester. We proved that we have a style of play and a level of quality to compete with some of the best teams in Europe - something unthinkable a few years ago. The players killed themselves on the pitch today, more so than I've ever seen them. As always with Leicester, the next couple of seasons could well direct us to new, more sustainable heights - potentially even as regular challengers for the Europa League, but also in the domestic competitions. What a club. 

Hard not to feel immense pride at the end last night, not just for the effort during the game but for the effort in the last year and a half. (we'll forget about the majortiy of this season :P)

Unfortunately the away goal killed the tie in the end, stupid rule :ph34r: But we had our 15-20 minute spell at the start of the second half where we coudln't quite take our opportunity. Incredible effort, don't think we were at our best quality wise, Ndidi and Drinkwater were poor on the ball at times but we gave absolutely everything.

Atletico are a great side, i dislike Simeone's antics at times but I hope they go onto win it.

I'm warming to the idea of giving Shakespeare the job full time, shown he's not scared of making tactical changes. it wasn't pretty second half and I wouldn't want to watch that every week but it made for an interesting half of football.

Fingers crossed its not the last time we see nights like that at the KP.

Had to re watch the Champions League anthem being played about 5 times this morning...the roar at the end though!!

Have watched champo's league games all my life and I swear have never heard a noise like that at the end of the anthem.

What was it like in the ground guys and girls!? I bet spine tingling doesn't even come close.

So immensely proud of every player, every supporter and every person at the club this morning. We put on a hell of a display, a hell of an atmosphere and the players did all they can too, leaving every ounce of energy out on that pitch.

The look on the faces of Simeone and the Atleti players in particular summed it up for me. They knew they'd been through a hell of a second half and you could tell some of the players were thinking 'Thank **** that's over now!'.

Seeing that level of respect from some of the worlds best players and one of the wrolds best managers (despite how much of a nob he can be sometimes), made me so proud to be a fan of this club.

Thank you LCFC for nights like last night, and someday hopefully you'll give me more.

A great effort from the lads, It was always going to be a difficult game especially when they scored but we never let our heads drop and the lads did the club and the city proud.at least we gave the Atletico team a game of it. I just so grateful to have been there and witness a truly memorable occasion.

1 hour ago, Crinklyfox said:

I've been a City fan since the 60s and have contributed to Foxestalk in the last four years.

For almost all of my life I could never have contemplated the success we've had in the last couple of years.  It's all the sweeter for having waited so long.  I would have loved us to go through against Atletico but in truth we were beaten narrowly over two legs by a better team who are in Europe's elite.

The world now expects Leicester City to vanish without trace.  The best we can do is to prove them wrong.  We have a playing style that works for us both in the PL and in Europe, we have some decent players and a good team spirit.  If we can continue to build the quality of the squad there's no reason why we can't be challenging for European slots in the PL in the future.  We don't have to be bound by our 'Little Leicester' tag or our history, the future is there for the taking.  Let's keep the journey going and not say 'Goodbye' to Europe, just 'See you later'.

Your like my favourite chips...Crinkleylol...

Good post, we should concentrate on building, and there is nothing wrong in keeping many

(not all) Of the players, try to expand on the Unique character and ethos we have developed.

We have weeks rest, I doubt that all our defence will see the Arsenal game.

Why not Give the team that ended the game Last night a go...Try Gray for Mahrez.

Unlike some I still rate Riyhad, We should now put him in a more forward role...

But next week give him a rest...

Great effort from the lads and I thought we deserved to go through. They controlled the 1st leg without creating any clear chances and we hammered them last night. I don't remember Schmeichel making any major saves, but that save from Oblak was massive for them. Couldn't have asked for anymore from our lads, other than maybe finishing a few more of the chances we created.

Got to say though, I really do not like Atletico. Their antics in the 1st leg with the fake card waving, diving etc and then last night, going down injured to break up our rhythm and diving and winning cheap free kicks. Simeone has done a great job with Atletico but i just can't bring myself to like them as they are a terribly unsporting team. But I guess all that crap is accepted in la liga. 

We needed 'help' from the ref (or at least a flawless performance) and the fine margins to fall in our favour to be able to compete in this tie and we didn't get it.

Atletico were a level or two above us over both legs. They were just that bit more solid and organised than what we've faced in Europe and matched our work rate. Then they had quality on the ball which befitted their status as one of the favourites for the title.

All we could ask for is that the team tried. If we were playing with the same verve and quality as last season, this would have been even closer. Frustrating that our relentlessness and endeavour during the last 45 mins didn't yield more goals, but it's tough to be critical of the performance.

It was lots of fun and hopefully the players will have found some momentum and motivation from this CL campaign that will carry them beyond this season.

Guest CityFan 06

Fought to the end and gave a very good account of ourselves. We're out but with a sense of pride, Atletico Madrid are a top team.

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

lol so last seasons champions could not finish top four with some additions. We would have been knocking on that door this season had CR not got it totally wrong. Also we won't have Europe to contend with.

Everyone was hugely buzzed by last year, but even if you compare last year to this year, the points total needed to finish top 4 next season, we'd probably need 80 points, the standard is going to go up, huge money will probably yet again be invested by the big clubs i'm being realistic, finish the season in top half an next season an then with 3 top half finishes in a row we can push on, only 2 months most of us were contemplating the championship.

11 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I suppose I agree with everything you've said mate.

We weren't in the first tie and as soon as they scored tonight I said game over. Ultimately, we were still 2 goals shy of going through so we never came that close.

But, and it's a big but, in that second half, we could've scored 3. I didn't think it was possible, but we came mighty close. We really weren't far off it, and I think that is what disappoints me/what is my point. It's all a game of ifs and buts (obviously), it's just really hard (for me) to take this loss when we were just a couple of very fine margins away from a CL semi. I guess that's what top level football is most of the time though.

Exactly hit the nail on the head fine margins, some of their defending and blocks at 1-1 was top class an had it finished 2-1 Leicester an we would of went out on away goals I would of felt gutted, but as it was we have taken a top 4 European team, I guess they have to be classed as that making 3 semi finals in as many years, the boys played a level above themselves to get within a goal over 2 legs IMO!! also needing 2 goals in 30 mins I thought we need a miracle as drinkwater was just playing a lot of safe passes an Mahrez wasn't quite on it, the four I thought before the game may be able to threaten create a goal were Ndidi, Mahrez, Albrighton an Vardy an as they were so well organised, it prevented any of them hitting their top levels.

2 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Everyone was hugely buzzed by last year, but even if you compare last year to this year, the points total needed to finish top 4 next season, we'd probably need 80 points, the standard is going to go up, huge money will probably yet again be invested by the big clubs i'm being realistic, finish the season in top half an next season an then with 3 top half finishes in a row we can push on, only 2 months most of us were contemplating the championship.

Two months ago we were. And in the time since we are looking at a top half finish with the same players. Shows how bad CR's tactics were. We could have been hell of a lot better off had we not wasted 25 games.

8/10 wins from those games would have us top 6. Those wins would not have been impossible. Hull Sunderland Swansea and some of the others that we beat last season.

11 hours ago, Costock_Fox said:

I'm not sad we have lost, I think to me it signals the end of an incredible adventure that is difficult to see us replicating ever again. Will it ever get better than this period? History says not.

Be right back just necking some detol.

memories stay for a lifetime, an maybe it's false optimism but I believe the owners are here to stay an maybe it may take 5 years, but they have had a taste of champions league, that was their ambition within 3 years to finish top 5. I don't think they will be scared to put their hand in their pocket so long as they trust the manager an every transfer is part of a long term plan which maybe was not the case in the summer.

2 hours ago, lgfualol said:

I liked it and think it could work under Shakespeare. Was it 352 or 343 though? 

I think this could be a deadly team. Even more so if we were able to squeeze a target man in there, probably for Gray - moving Mahrez to CAM. 

Schmeichel                                                

Benny Huth Fuchs

Albrighton Drinkwater Ndidi Chilwell

Mahrez Vardy Gray 

Benny and Fuchs would improve our playing from the back by going to the wings and we can still counter. I like the idea at least lol 

It was a 3-4-3.

Vardy and Mahrez buzzing around Ulloa.

That was heroic. The proudest I've ever been of a Leicester City team apart from when we won the league. We came up against one of the best teams in Europe and had a right go. It'd be wrong to pick out individuals after that. These players have given me some of the greatest moments of my life. 

Archived