Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

Atletico H Post Match 1-1 (1-2) on aggregate

Anyone mentioned proud yet?

I could genuinely just sit in the dark and cry, will it ever be this good for a Leicester City fan? Probably not, Did I ever think I would see what I've seen from this football club in the last 2 years? Absolutely not.

I think against any other team in the world we would have gone through tonight, Atletico are just so good at sitting back and weathering the storm. Although it isn't the result we were looking for, there is so much we can build from this, especially the second half performance. We'll be back in Europe one day, more than likely Europa League, but hopefully Champions League and we'll enjoy it just as much as this campaign. So proud, so so so proud. 

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

No he wasnt. He got forward well enough, as there was nothing to lose..we had to go for it...but his final ball was piss poor too often. I'm hoping he gets better than this..and I think he will

It's all subjective Col.

Oh and despite the ref last week giving a wrong penalty even though the referee didn't exactly make any match changing decision i'd say tonight's was worse. Pathetic.

UEFA really do have some dodgy, arguably corrupt officials.

Was it the Porto home game we had a shockng ref too? Turkish if I remeber correctly? :dunno:

30 minutes ago, brucey said:

Our amazing 3-5-2 second half was the formation of the great escape - Pearson's legacy.

I hope Ranieri realises that, especially with the recent comments about 'his' 4-4-2.

Finish the season with this format...If Benny, Morgan and Slim have longtime injuries why not..??

Give Ulloa-Vardy the nod, then chose Mahrez /Gray behind them.

1 minute ago, ajthefox said:

1st leg we were outclassed, I won't deny that. We never even had a sniff of goal and if they had pressed, I think they probably could've scored again but seriously, tonight we were the better team.

We absolutely dominated that second half, and although they were resilient defensively it was not as if we didn't have chances to convert. They had 6 shots on target over two legs and so did we, but 4/5 of ours came in 45 minutes tonight. The last 45 minutes tonight we bombarded them. We won the ball off them time and time again and came close on several occasions. Kasper was practically asleep.

Make no mistake, we weren't even close in the first leg. But Sevilla pushed us far more defensively. Sevilla could easily have put 3, 4 or 5 past us in that first leg but it just so happened that they didn't and we converted the only chance we had against them. We all know what happened at home. Unfortunately against Atletico though, things didn't go our way. But over two legs, we were not outclassed. Over two legs, Atletico managed to stand strong and they held on, but in the same way Sevilla were very close to burying us in the quarters, it could so easily have been us in the semis. 

Don't think they were not in control of this tie at any point after greizeman scored the penalty to be honest, they sat back an invited us on, tactically we were good in the first leg poor in the first half tonight an that's where it was lost for me the first half tonight.

26 minutes ago, NotTheMarketLeader said:

Has he really.

Mahrez was playing - mistake number 1 created nothing again - no assists, no goals. He was an absolute disgrace in the first half and dually culpable for their goal with Fuchs.

Far too defensive 1st leg.

Far too defensive 1st half tonight.

We need two goals to progress so he replaces Morgan with Amartey.

Gray doesn't get a kick, but his subs inc the above plus Chilwell (he did ok) as an attacking midfielder.

Great effort from he players but the jury out on Shakey's tactical nouse. 

You'd rather us play Musa in a diamond formation decided 3 hours before kickoff then

12 minutes ago, Matt said:

I hope you're right, i'm not allowing myself to dream or getting that carried away, top 8 - 6 for me, but I hope you're right.

im not getting carried away.CR for some reason changed it. Shakey has proved it still works. But we do need a little extra. RB a CB and a CAM. If we keep our squad we will push top four.

8 minutes ago, Matt said:

Oh and despite the ref last week giving a wrong penalty even though the referee didn't exactly make any match changing decision i'd say tonight's was worse. Pathetic.

I have to say I disagree dude. I thought despite a few poor calls, tonight's ref was miles better than the ref in the first leg. He didn't even issue a single yellow iirc. Let the game flow and it felt pretty even. 

Last week's ref was blatantly ****ing incapable or bent, or both. 

7 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Anyone mentioned proud yet?

I could genuinely just sit in the dark and cry, will it ever be this good for a Leicester City fan? Probably not, Did I ever think I would see what I've seen from this football club in the last 2 years? Absolutely not.

I didn't feel sad as we got beat by the better team, but yeah the boys did what they could if we could change 3 players from that starting front 6 we'd be top 6 regularly Mahrez gets a lot of stick but I said to a friend before the game if I could, I'd take Gerrard even now over Drinkwater.

To get within a goal of Athletico was class but I don't feel gutted they were the better team all round.

1 minute ago, daz*dsb said:

I have to say I disagree dude. I thought despite a few poor calls, tonight's ref was miles better than the ref in the first leg. He didn't even issue a single yellow iirc. Let the game flow and it felt pretty even. 

Have to agree with this tbh, there were countless times in the game their players threw themselves to the floor and he just told them to get on with it

It was a heroic effort but we needed something special tonight from our best players - or a stroke or two of luck - to get through against a properly good team and it just didn't happen.

It was probably the best way to go out - fighting valiantly till the very end with the crowd at fever pitch - but I still feel really sad.

I feel immensely proud of the team and the whole club but still really, really sad.

3 minutes ago, sylofox said:

im not getting carried away.CR for some reason changed it. Shakey has proved it still works. But we do need a little extra. RB a CB and a CAM. If we keep our squad we will push top four.

This team is 8th-12th those 3 players would push us to maybe top 6 if they were supreme quality not top 4. Top 4 would be adding those 3 players hoping no injuries an no dips in form, top 4 would need 5-6 players not 3.

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

I didn't feel sad as we got beat by the better team, but yeah the boys did what they could if we could change 3 players from that starting front 6 we'd be top 6 regularly Mahrez gets a lot of stick but I said to a friend before the game if I could, I'd take Gerrard even now over Drinkwater.

To get within a goal of Athletico was class but I don't feel gutted they were the better team all round.

I'm not sad we have lost, I think to me it signals the end of an incredible adventure that is difficult to see us replicating ever again. Will it ever get better than this period? History says not.

Be right back just necking some detol.

14 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Don't think they were not in control of this tie at any point after greizeman scored the penalty to be honest, they sat back an invited us on, tactically we were good in the first leg poor in the first half tonight an that's where it was lost for me the first half tonight.

I suppose I agree with everything you've said mate.

We weren't in the first tie and as soon as they scored tonight I said game over. Ultimately, we were still 2 goals shy of going through so we never came that close.

But, and it's a big but, in that second half, we could've scored 3. I didn't think it was possible, but we came mighty close. We really weren't far off it, and I think that is what disappoints me/what is my point. It's all a game of ifs and buts (obviously), it's just really hard (for me) to take this loss when we were just a couple of very fine margins away from a CL semi. I guess that's what top level football is most of the time though.

King Dick let us down.....Dig him up and send him to York.They can have the bloody museum as well.

Rather old mother Riley....Rachel, well she blew it big time...No excuses no more pics...

We are now destined to find and dig up  new bones...Boadicea would be a start...

Now you young uns, go out and find a good honest faithfull pin-up...Dont be conned by those

sly silly smiles. Forget the Maths...:whistle:  :)

3 minutes ago, daz*dsb said:

Yeah the ref was nowhere near as bad as I was anticipating, infact its nice to be sitting here not having to mention him at all - he did good, a rarity in football nowadays!

Let's not forget he could have given them a peno for Kaspers challenge as well, in my eyes it's not - but they've been given and in the Champs League I was shocked we didn't get punished - that would have made it 2-0 (i believe it was before we scored, im a bit hazey) and then it's a totally different game, we'd all not be as proud if we'd slumped over the line with a wimper - or got done 3-0 on the counter in the end or something. If the block on the line was done with an intentional hand (havent watched it back yet) pre-Vardy putting it away then okay that's one mistake but i'm fairly sure even with 10 they'd have just not replaced Carasco (spelling) with Torres and still put up the wall, similar result.

I'm a bit down as it feels like the end of a really amazing chapter in the clubs history - and it's tough to write a better next one

But, what a ride and what a team

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

I'm not sad we have lost, I think to me it signals the end of an incredible adventure that is difficult to see us replicating ever again. Will it ever get better than this period? History says not.

Be right back just necking some detol.

History says not  heh... Well you send History around to me, I will have a few words with him/her.

History another one of those over hyped pundits..:rolleyes:

All I'll remember beyond tomorrow is being robbed of our Champions League ambitions by the away leg referee which was basically what I expected for all that it leaves a bad taste.

Tonight we didn't commit sufficiently. Ulloa should have started and Gray should also have had a roll. A 1-1 draw was commendable to a point but we never posed enough threat to disturb an organised defence more than momentarily and never really threatened to win the game.

For me modern coaches haven't got a clue how to attack. We might have had 24-5 chances in the second half but they weren't clear or memorable chances, just little more than gestures in the main.

Also our final ball was usually ppalling. We seemed to aim at areas rather than particular players and not very accurately in any case.

Yes, the result was commendable in that we didn't really get beaten we were robbed by the away leg referee and that is something I'll never forgive because the the guy will get quite enough understanding from others without needing anything of the sort from me.

Why we didn't start with Ulloa I'll never know but basically our lack of real striker options and a genuinely creative player did for us. We simply didn't have quite enough imagination, creativity or conviction to the concept of attack.

That said we punched almost right up to our capabilities and, like others, I'm pretty proud of our efforts. I'd just have been more proud had we won and there was nothing about Atletico to have prevented that in theory, especially considering we effectively played with 10 men.

I say that because, apart from a free kick that almost went in when it really should have been on  target, Mahrez was nothing short of a passenger and arguably worse than he was against Palace because at least he made a goal for Vardy that day.

Again, I don't know or care about the reasons, it's like he's treading water in football terms and the sooner he's gone the better.

Otherwise it was a gallant effort in difficult circumstances but never one that ever looked quite good enough.

Man of the Match? No-one.

We simply didn't have anyone who made enough difference though Vardy offered momentary encouragment with his goal.       

It almost felt during both legs that Madrid had about 16 players on the pitch, work rate and desire to win every single ball is incredible to watch.

Crazy how physically strong they all were too, some don't even look that big but our lads were bouncing off them at times.

4 minutes ago, Thracian said:

All I'll remember beyond tomorrow is being robbed of our Champions League ambitions by the away leg referee which was basically what I expected for all that it leaves a bad taste.

Tonight we didn't commit sufficiently. Ulloa should have started and Gray should also have had a roll. A 1-1 draw was commendable to a point but we never posed enough threat to disturb an organised defence more than momentarily and never really threatened to win the game.

For me modern coaches haven't got a clue how to attack. We might have had 24-5 chances in the second half but they weren't clear or memorable chances, just little more than gestures in the main.

Also our final ball was usually ppalling. We seemed to aim at areas rather than particular players and not very accurately in any case.

Yes, the result was commendable in that we didn't really get beaten we were robbed by the away leg referee and that is something I'll never forgive because the the guy will get quite enough understanding from others without needing anything of the sort from me.

Why we didn't start with Ulloa I'll never know but basically our lack of real striker options and a genuinely creative player did for us. We simply didn't have quite enough imagination, creativity or conviction to the concept of attack.

That said we punched almost right up to our capabilities and, like others, I'm pretty proud of our efforts. I'd just have been more proud had we won and there was nothing about Atletico to have prevented that in theory, especially considering we effectively played with 10 men.

I say that because, apart from a free kick that almost went in when it really should have been on  target, Mahrez was nothing short of a passenger and arguably worse than he was against Palace because at least he made a goal for Vardy that day.

Again, I don't know or care about the reasons, it's like he's treading water in football terms and the sooner he's gone the better.

Otherwise it was a gallant effort in difficult circumstances but never one that ever looked quite good enough.

Man of the Match? No-one.

We simply didn't have anyone who made enough difference though Vardy offered momentary encouragment with his goal.       

Mahrez should never have taken that free kick, he was always going to mess it up, a really poor effort from him. It never had a chance of going in. I was surprised he got it relatively close. 

Mahrez had the opportunity to stamp his mark on this tie but didn't take it. He has had a pretty dismal season and personally I won't be sorry to see him go. 

Also thought Okasaki was incredibly poor and IMO still hasn't got to grips with how football is played in the UK. He can go as well.

The rest of the lads played really well, although Drinky's tough spell continues. 

In in some ways I wished we had got stuffed, because the narrow defeat over three hours of football, and the chances we created, plus the referees gift of their goal in Madrid will take this elimination a very long time to get over. 

Well done to the crowd at the end, real class.

Over 2 legs they we far better then us in every department. They are a class team who have reached the champions league final twice in last 3 years. There fans were class too tonight especially singing leicester leicester leicester when we walked off the pitch. 

Having said all of that I can not put into words how bloody proud I am of our club. The players. Owners fans everyone associated with leicester. 

I am genuinly chuffed to bits that leicester are my team and wh little old leicester reached the quarter finals wow!  

Thank you leicester city

Archived