Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

Just now, Nickfosse said:

Fair point. Perhaps I should have said N'Didi who cost substantially more. My point is, I wouldn't like to see us give up on recruiting in other leagues just because of one poor window when we've had considerable success doing exactly that over recent years. 

That said, I think Evans would be an excellent signing.

Agreed. Every transfer should be done based on thorough scouting and suiting our club. Shouldn't rule out deals just because we've had our fingers burnt previously 

45 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

Taking a punt on Mahrez, Kante and Vardy, none of whom were proven in the league we were playing in, turned out alright in the end. 

Kante and Mahrez didn't need 'time'.  Vardy was making a step up from non-league.  

Off the top of my head I give you:

Inler

Benalouane

Musa

Hernandez

Amartey

Kapusta

Mendy...

Give them time, give them time......... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Proven PL quality is the way ahead for me.

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

Kante and Mahrez didn't need 'time'.  Vardy was making a step up from non-league.  

Inler

Benalouane

Musa

Hernandez

Amartey

Kapusta

Mendy...

But when we signed Kante and Mahrez we had no idea if they needed time or not. 

You're saying that we should only buy proven PL quality which means you're ruling out the possibility of recruiting the next N'Didi, Kante, Mahrez, Morgan, Drinkwater, Gray, and Vardy. 

15 minutes ago, Nickfosse said:

But when we signed Kante and Mahrez we had no idea if they needed time or not. 

You're saying that we should only buy proven PL quality which means you're ruling out the possibility of recruiting the next N'Didi, Kante, Mahrez, Morgan, Drinkwater, Gray, and Vardy. 

Well I suppose it depends on the oulay, you can buy for the future such as this guy from Norwich but if you are addressing the first team we need to get proven quality IMO.  Mahrez, Morgan, Drinky & Vardy were signed in the championship.  We could hardly buy prem quality then.  We are now established in the prem and with the names we are being linked with, this approach of buying from the PL seems to be adopted by the club after so many imported flops.

If you buy players that need time to adapt, if at all, it stands to reason that you have to play them through that transitional non-performing period.  We can't afford passengers.  

I take your point about Kante and Mahrez.  Buying PL quality means you know what you will get but doesn't give you any scope to unearth a diamond so take some calculated low risk punts for the future but get proven quality for the first team.

If you've got the physical / technical attributes you're good enough for the league. 

I'd suggest language barrier would be more of an issue. 

11 hours ago, murphy said:

Inler

Benalouane

Musa

Hernandez

Amartey

Kapusta

Mendy...

Ive been saying this for a while. Im not against us signing players from abroad but if we have the option to get a good proven prem player then that's what i think we should be doing. Evans, gylfi and kelechi would be an excellent window to add to maguire. Cant see us signing all them 3 though unfortunately 

1 minute ago, jayfox26 said:

Ive been saying this for a while. Im not against us signing players from abroad but if we have the option to get a good proven prem player then that's what i think we should be doing. Evans, gylfi and kelechi would be an excellent window to add to maguire. Cant see us signing all them 3 though unfortunately 

We've always gone for a mix, some from home some from abroad and it has worked. Too many new faces needing to adapt to a new team and new country / language all at the same time is a recipe for problems!

11 hours ago, murphy said:

Inler

Benalouane

Musa

Hernandez

Amartey

Kapusta

Mendy...

I'm in the "balance" camp. But with proper "due diligence".

Football is all about the right approach to people trading.

Buying low and sell high is a big  part of it though because that's a way to keep the accounts in credit.

But, barring the truly exceptional, emerging players need experienced people around them too.

Evans ticks that box and I'd welcome him but there's no more sense filling a team with experienced players whose value will inevitably diminish as the years rush by as filling a team with bargain buy youngsters who won't all burst through at once, if at all.

Kids in my experience are helped by having proven brilliance around them. It's inspiring.

But however successful a team it needs to be replenished year on year.

Not dramatically, necessarily, especially if things have gone well and are built with a pre-conceived plan, but thoughtfully, and with the core aims of the plan in mind which, as with any other business plan, should seek to grow the company soundly. which means it needs to make money.

There are only two direct ways of making money from football. Winning things and selling/increasing the value of your team. Almost everything else is connected to those things to a greater or lesser extent like advertising/shop sales/global image/even Academy development.    

We didn't replenish very well last season, as far as our first team was concerned.

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/06/23/michael-oneill-sir-alex-ferguson-was-shocked-at-jonny-evans-west-brom-move/

"When I look around the Premier League and see British centre-backs, I don't see anyone better," said the Northern Ireland boss in an interview with the Belfast Telegraph. 

"I look at Gary Cahill at Chelsea and Chris Smalling at Manchester United and Jonny Evans is every bit as good as them. 

"His move away from Manchester United to West Brom was maybe the right thing for him at that stage in his career but he is a player who I believe can play right at the top of the Premier League. 

"He was an absolute bargain at £6million which I believe West Brom paid for him and if you are asking me is he worth £20million, I think he is a bargain at that price. 

"Given that people are talking about Southampton's Virgil Van Dijk as a £50million player, that makes Jonny Evans sound cheap at £20million. If he goes to Leicester I think it is a good move for him.

28 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/west-bromwich-albion/2017/06/23/michael-oneill-sir-alex-ferguson-was-shocked-at-jonny-evans-west-brom-move/

"When I look around the Premier League and see British centre-backs, I don't see anyone better," said the Northern Ireland boss in an interview with the Belfast Telegraph. 

"I look at Gary Cahill at Chelsea and Chris Smalling at Manchester United and Jonny Evans is every bit as good as them. 

"His move away from Manchester United to West Brom was maybe the right thing for him at that stage in his career but he is a player who I believe can play right at the top of the Premier League. 

"He was an absolute bargain at £6million which I believe West Brom paid for him and if you are asking me is he worth £20million, I think he is a bargain at that price. 

"Given that people are talking about Southampton's Virgil Van Dijk as a £50million player, that makes Jonny Evans sound cheap at £20million. If he goes to Leicester I think it is a good move for him.

Sounds good to me, I'd prefer smalling but honestly he may not want to be here, I'm good with Evans :) 

18 hours ago, murphy said:

Inler

Benalouane

Musa

Hernandez

Amartey

Kapusta

Mendy...

Amen, for every one of Steve Walshs wonder signings there was an equal dud he had his hands in bringing to the club.

How do people think he compares to Nathan Ake? Just read he is moving from Chelsea to Bournemouth for the same fee we are being quoted for Evans.

Personally would go for Ake as he is younger and can learn from the experienced pros we have at the back.

34 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

How do people think he compares to Nathan Ake? Just read he is moving from Chelsea to Bournemouth for the same fee we are being quoted for Evans.

Personally would go for Ake as he is younger and can learn from the experienced pros we have at the back.

Surely Sam Hughes fits that bill.?

On 2017-6-24 at 01:28, Nickfosse said:

Fair point. Perhaps I should have said N'Didi who cost substantially more. My point is, I wouldn't like to see us give up on recruiting in other leagues just because of one poor window when we've had considerable success doing exactly that over recent years. 

That said, I think Evans would be an excellent signing.

Ndidi is "allegedly" young though and should have a resale value if we ever wanted to cash in. I still think Evans would be a great signing and its up to the owners what they do with their money. A younger player may be a better bet financially though.

1 hour ago, Aus Fox said:

As of right now, Evans is better than Ake, Keane, Gibson. Maguire, etc. However all of them players might turn out better than Evans in the future.

So it's a question of, are we looking towards the short-term or long-term. I think at this moment in time, it's important we break into the top 6 so Evans would be better than buying a young prospect.

We already have decent prospects imo and if we buy too many, our squad becomes unbalanced. Right now we have a good balance between young talent and experienced pro's.

Evans linked with Everton in an article in the sun today (yes i know it`s the sun!) . The article was mainly about how Swansea have supposedly rejected a 30 million pound bid for Sigurdsson from them, and them having to up their offer for Koemans number 1 target.

1 minute ago, smudger63 said:

Evans linked with Everton in an article in the sun today (yes i know it`s the sun!) . The article was mainly about how Swansea have supposedly rejected a 30 million pound bid for Sigurdsson from them, and them having to up their offer for Koemans number 1 target.

I'm beginning to hate Everton more than The Spuds!!!! 

15 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Agreed - besides, Eduardo Macia who leads the transfer team now (I think) has a pretty good record for me - one signing, one Wilfred Ndidi... Then again that could mean if it's anything like history we're gonna get a couple flops this summer?Hopefully that's just me thinking like a Leicester fan

Wilf isn't Mascia we scouted him for ages.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

If Walsh was aware of him, i would have expected Everton to have been all over Ndidi, but then maybe he didn`t feel he fitted with what Everton needed.

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

How do you know out of interest? Not saying your right not saying your wrong but don't ever remember him being linked before the Jan window we signed him in.

Because there were quotes/articles at the time stating that our long held interest in him swayed his decision to come here. It said we'd been watching him for a long time and he and his family knew we were tracking his career. Something like that.

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

No we didn't. He got reccomeneded to us by a Nigerian scout who use to have connections with us. We watched him during his break through season & half of last season n went ahead with the deal. 

But In terms of scouting a year n a half isn't very long at all. 

17 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

No we didn't. He got reccomeneded to us by a Nigerian scout who use to have connections with us. We watched him during his break through season & half of last season n went ahead with the deal. 

But In terms of scouting a year n a half isn't very long at all. 

"Firmed up our interest 18 months ago"

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4375944/amp/Shakespeare-Ndidi-stay-Leicester-long-time.html

If you "firm up" interest on him 18 months ago, then it suggests you knew about him prior to that.

“We did a lot of homework on him and I think we were one of the first clubs, if not the first, to show an interest in him,” Shakespeare said.

“I think he, and his family and agent, remembered that so we were in the driving seat. When other clubs came in for him he remembered the way we went about it first. He had other options.

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/ndidi-takes-to-twitter-to-refute-man-utd-speculation

Either friggimg way, whether you think 18 months / two years is quite a while to be tracking someone or not, it's all still prior to Mascia which was the bloody point.

Archived