Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wattolcfc

Jonny Evans

18 hours ago, Foxy_Bear said:

It's never a bad place to start. Who do you think could tell me more about Christian Fuchs for example?  You or a random Stoke fan? 

Getting the opinion of a player from someone who watches him week in week out is the closest that we as fans can do to scouting. 

Clearly someone doesn't have Football Manger Mobile...

11 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

He's better than most of you are allowing, 'Irreplaceable' to most Baggies, he's left footed, has nous, has won the league, etc.

IMHO, he's worth, within reason, whatever the fee & wages add up to. That is, the approach we should have taken last summer with Deeney & Keane,..

This. Because of my job I saw west Brom quite a few times over the last two seasons. He's far better than the general consensus in this thread.

14 hours ago, weller54 said:

Baggies want £20m!! 

...Jonny be good for that price! 

Yes... but giving us a price is movement from "not for sale" which was the original line. I also believe I read somewhere the Baggies had offered a 100k a week contract to him, after the £10 million bid, but before saying £20 million.

Some more to run on this.

Rate Evans very highly but 20m + 100 grand a week so another 20.8m over 4 years (if its true west brom have offered that) no resell value. I'm not sure it makes sense. West Brom/Pulls are no mugs and apparently looking at Wimmer as are Southampton. That would make more sense for us IMO. Can't see Spurs getting 20m and his wages won't be that high at Spurs. 24 too.  

Good to see that we are still in the market for a defender though. Morgan and Huth have been immense for us but are getting to the game management stage.

Still can't see why we have never given Amartey a chance at CB as he seems decent there for Ghana and was at Copenhagen but trust in Shakeys judgement. 

17 minutes ago, desertfox2 said:

Rate Evans very highly but 20m + 100 grand a week so another 20.8m over 4 years (if its true west brom have offered that) no resell value. I'm not sure it makes sense. West Brom/Pulls are no mugs and apparently looking at Wimmer as are Southampton. That would make more sense for us IMO. Can't see Spurs getting 20m and his wages won't be that high at Spurs. 24 too.  

Good to see that we are still in the market for a defender though. Morgan and Huth have been immense for us but are getting to the game management stage.

Still can't see why we have never given Amartey a chance at CB as he seems decent there for Ghana and was at Copenhagen but trust in Shakeys judgement. 

The value would be in improving the squad and the starting XI.

Correct me if I am wrong, but if we had finished 7th, that would have been an extra 10 mil in the prize fund?

Which over 4 years pays for Evans, it's obviously not as simple as that. But finishing 7th and qualifying for the Europa league season after season increases the clubs profile and sponsorship deals.

Within reason I say if they improve the X1 on the field bring them in. 20 mil is the equivalent of about 5mil in the O'Neil days. 

Spoke to a West Brom supporter who lives across the road from me earlier.

Said he'd be very surprised if we get him, Evans has been quality for them and he'd be absolutely gutted if he leaves. First bid was an insult and if Maguire is worth 17 mill, Evans is definitely worth 20 mill.

Can't see the point in not bidding the £20m if we want the guy. Some of the fees we paid last season for a rubbish return are embarrassing but this bloke's a proven Premiership defender and still not ancient for a centre-back, especially with his build. There'd be no "time to settle" needed either.  

19 hours ago, desertfox2 said:

Never mind Shakeys judgement Amartey's crap in most people's judgement.

I know a proper United fan who was disappointed when they sold him, really rated him. He was well thought of there. He'd be a huge loss to wba and a big gain to us.

But paying for 20m for any 29 year old centre half seems a bit much.

7 minutes ago, weller54 said:

It's fair comment to say that if Harry Maguire is valued at 17m then Evans IS worth 20m... 

We just need to get used to these mad numbers! 

We need to get used to paying these mad numbers too if we want to get to, and stay at the next level ie top 8. The next tier is a different world again when you look at the figures being bandied about by the top guns.

33 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

If Evans is our man, pay the 20m and get him over the line. We have Hughes for the future so don't worry about his age, worry about 2-5 years of consistent top 8. Same approach with everyone else.

This. We only end 2 points off 8th this season. If we can get into top 8 next year and also show players we mean business by spending money on quality then we start to build our brand like Everton have done. Once at that point we'll really be in a position to kick on. It's the position Southampton got to except they don't seem so willing to really take risks and keep selling players. We need to fight off bids for players we want and spend to beat the competition to new signings. 

3 hours ago, Thracian said:

Can't see the point in not bidding the £20m if we want the guy. Some of the fees we paid last season for a rubbish return are embarrassing but this bloke's a proven Premiership defender and still not ancient for a centre-back, especially with his build. There'd be no "time to settle" needed either.  

This, definitely this.

Sick of transfers that might or might not come good in the end if we give them enough time (whatever that is) and keep playing them while they are not good.

26 minutes ago, murphy said:

This, definitely this.

Sick of transfers that might or might not come good in the end if we give them enough time (whatever that is) and keep playing them while they are not good.

Taking a punt on Mahrez, Kante and Vardy, none of whom were proven in the league we were playing in, turned out alright in the end. 

Just now, foxfanazer said:

How much did they cost though? 

Fair point. Perhaps I should have said N'Didi who cost substantially more. My point is, I wouldn't like to see us give up on recruiting in other leagues just because of one poor window when we've had considerable success doing exactly that over recent years. 

That said, I think Evans would be an excellent signing.

Archived