Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Chris Smalling

4 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Not sure he would want to go to Stoke, CP or W Brom either. We would be favorite over them easily. He has won pretty much all there is to win & has played at the highest level, I suspect he would want a chance at Europe. Maybe the promise of Europe next year might swing it for us. The other three have no chance

Who's making a 'promise of europe'? I know we're anbitious but promising European football is a big shout. 

On 11/07/2017 at 23:09, CloudFox said:

It's likely based off demographic data collected as you browse the Web. It's not always spot on with its targeting...

Depends really. Could be anything from retargeting (if he has visited the Spurs site before) to a hybrid interest/location strategy if he's based in London.

Probably more likely that this is contextually targeted based on domain, i.e. 'spurs' will be mentioned an awful lot on this forum. 

Probably not the best strategy from whoever it is dealing with Spurs' display given that most football forums will talk about them in some capacity. There are much better ways of isolating fans of particular clubs. (Based on searches, social sharing data, pages they've liked... Even regular visitation of the home ground would be possible with the right mobile DSP.)

Just chipping in since it isn't very often my line of work is discussed on here!

2 hours ago, Leeds Fox said:

Who's making a 'promise of europe'? I know we're anbitious but promising European football is a big shout. 

I think he meant 'promise of' as a phrase that means has the 'potential or hope of' rather than promise as a guaranteed assurance.

For instance, Harvey Barnes is a promising footballer or put another way has the promise of being a quality footballer.

As you were.

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

It has to be our target this year

4 hours ago, murphy said:

I think he meant 'promise of' as a phrase that means has the 'potential or hope of' rather than promise as a guaranteed assurance.

For instance, Harvey Barnes is a promising footballer or put another way has the promise of being a quality footballer.

As you were.

Gurru, of course but it's still quite an ask.

Murph, yeah I understand :thumbup: it's far from a given and will take a mighty season for it to happen, but as we all know, anything can happen. 

5 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

It sounds a bit too good to be true, I'm just wondering whats the catch.

Bags of experience, I just hope he still has the desire. But he would be great for Maguire to learn from.

World Cup year, he'll have the desire to be on the plane to Russia.

For that price, he can go to shit next year lol

It is a potential England international pairing at the back though.

Would be a very decent acquisition, but can't help but think he's similar to Sol Bamba.

He's very strong and can be often reliable, but can have a few blunders in him that could happen at any point that affects his overall reputation.

Just now, Wymeswold fox said:

Would be a very decent acquisition, but can't help but think he's similar to Sol Bamba.

He's very strong and can be often reliable, but can have a few blunders in him that could happen at any point that affects his overall reputation.

True, but most centre backs are the same. It's highlighted more because it'd often lead to a goal.

Similar to if a keeper makes a mistake. If a striker misses an open goal, it's not criticised as much.

Put it this way, Sakho for 30m, Smalling for 15m?

It's a no brainer.

4 hours ago, tom27111 said:

True, but most centre backs are the same. It's highlighted more because it'd often lead to a goal.

Similar to if a keeper makes a mistake. If a striker misses an open goal, it's not criticised as much.

Put it this way, Sakho for 30m, Smalling for 15m?

It's a no brainer.

I think he'd thrive here, being experienced and one of the best around the club. It'd be completely different to his time at Utd for him. 

29 minutes ago, Leeds Fox said:

Gurru, of course but it's still quite an ask.

Murph, yeah I understand :thumbup: it's far from a given and will take a mighty season for it to happen, but as we all know, anything can happen. 

Nothing is a given in the Premier League but our goal has to be top third. I feel a top player would want to come to a club with big ambitions. Clubs like Stoke & W Brom are just looking to survive.

15 hours ago, Chico1958 said:

I know it shoudn't make a difference

But Pulis and Mourinho get on very well

10 million though   :dunno:

I don't think Mourinho likes us either ever since our players stopped playing for the guy he used to be a **** to

19 minutes ago, Walkers said:

I don't think Mourinho likes us either ever since our players stopped playing for the guy he used to be a **** to

Nothing to do with Jose, if we make an offer on par or better than the others, Ed Woodward is listening. 

Managers don't deal with that anymore. 

10 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Not sure he would want to go to Stoke, CP or W Brom either. We would be favorite over them easily. 

Why do people think a player should favor us over these other clubs?  You read it so often on here, "surely we're a better proposition than this or that team'.  Why?  

Just in this example alone; Stoke have been regulars in the Premier League longer than us.  Jonny Evans and Darren Fletcher left Utd for West Brom so obviously it's not that impossible.  And Palace have the London factor and he might just fancy working for De Boer.

I'm not in any way dumbing down Leicester City.  And yes we should be able to compete with these clubs.  But the idea that surely a player would automatically see us as a better option has no bearing in reality.

gurru, this isn't aimed specifically at you and is much more of a general point.

I wouldn't be suprised if we don't sign a CB until January. It's a bit drastic to overhaul that position in one go when we aren't desperate there.

Huth and Morgan still shown capability last season and were a dominant pairing the season before, don't write them off yet. Whilst Benny did an OK job, as did Fuchs when he stood in. We also have Amartey to try there as a last resort.

Let Smallings contract run down a bit, reduce the price and re-evaluate. Palace or West Brom might force our hand, but I don't think we need to overpay for this guy when he's a bit injury prone himself, we need a good deal.

Archived