Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
SheppyFox

Chris Smalling

1 hour ago, EnglishOxide said:

I wouldn't be suprised if we don't sign a CB until January. It's a bit drastic to overhaul that position in one go when we aren't desperate there.

Huth and Morgan still shown capability last season and were a dominant pairing the season before, don't write them off yet. Whilst Benny did an OK job, as did Fuchs when he stood in. We also have Amartey to try there as a last resort.

Let Smallings contract run down a bit, reduce the price and re-evaluate. Palace or West Brom might force our hand, but I don't think we need to overpay for this guy when he's a bit injury prone himself, we need a good deal.

Also have Simpson who I'm convinced would be fine in a back 3 with a more attacking right wingback.

11 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Depends really. Could be anything from retargeting (if he has visited the Spurs site before) to a hybrid interest/location strategy if he's based in London.

Probably more likely that this is contextually targeted based on domain, i.e. 'spurs' will be mentioned an awful lot on this forum. 

Probably not the best strategy from whoever it is dealing with Spurs' display given that most football forums will talk about them in some capacity. There are much better ways of isolating fans of particular clubs. (Based on searches, social sharing data, pages they've liked... Even regular visitation of the home ground would be possible with the right mobile DSP.)

Just chipping in since it isn't very often my line of work is discussed on here!

Oh by all means - likewise it's the industry I work in too (though I'm more on the content marketing and strategy side), and always find it interesting how little the general public really understand it all.

The campaign definitely need work, that's for sure. I'm wondering if maybe whoever was seeing those ads might have visited one of the Spurs forums via a link here or whatever. Could even just be a news story about transfers we've both been included in i.e. Adrien Silva.

54 minutes ago, Callabinho said:

Morgan is passed it

Based on what exactly? The whole team was rubbish last season, when the team improved towards the end so did he. You can't lay all the issues at his door when everyone was suffering the same way.

48 minutes ago, Worthington said:

Not sure Morgan & Huth have suddenly reached the end of their respective PL careers, but there is beginning to be a whispering doubt about the long term fitness of both!

Huth is out for apparently 6-8 weeks, fine...these things happen. Morgan though worries me. He seems to take a while to shake off  and this 'back problem' he's reported to have is a concern. I just wonder if nigh on 3 years of continual football has finally crept upon him!

There is no guarantee that, at some point, both won't be unavailable at the same time !

With that as a possible scenario I certainly wouldn't be confident of going into the season as we are. I'd rather we signed another CB now...If we wait for January, we might end up with another Wague!

Morgans had 3 or 4 injury free years and suddenly people are worried he's a crock? From what I remember the two injuries he had at the end of last season were different things. One being his back and then the other his hamstring, the latter he did after being rushed back for the Madrid game without training properly for a while. That was our own risk and it backfired.

A for guarantees, there are no guarantees the players in any position won't get injured and cause a bit of a crisis. There is nothing to suggest they've both suddenly become injury prone, Huth since joining has barely missed a minute though injury. These things happen.

If we bring in another one then we're likely to lose Benny on loan anyway, so we'll still be down to 4.

3 minutes ago, foxinsocks said:

Every season from now on will be worse for huth and morgan.  It's not their fault. ..

As value opportunities arise for us to bring in younger experienced cbs we should take it. Smalling is ideal

I don't think anyone is suggesting we don't think about long term replacements, but I'll argue against the fact that one or both suddenly finished.

4 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I don't think anyone is suggesting we don't think about long term replacements, but I'll argue against the fact that one or both suddenly finished.

Right..  there is no panic... but when opportunities arise then we need to be ready.  Smalling has great experience and may be 5 or 6 years at the top left in him.  It a yes from me...

Just now, Babylon said:

It's weird, people have been wanting to right him off for years.

He had a wobble in our first season up, a few own goals and shaky performances. Huth came in and he played better.

Now people think that he can only play with Huth. He played fine with Moore and Was before and I've seen nothing to suggest he can't play with Maguire, especially considering he is more athletic, younger and better on the ball than Huth who appears to be the fan favourite.

I thought this thread was about Smalling? If you want to argue about Morgan and Huths capabilities and injury problems. I suggest you start a thread in the general forum. "Rules are the rules" I'm hoping it's not certain rules for some and not for others? :)

Never rated him really, always thought you'd never hear of him if he wasn't at Utd

However, under LVG he was a very useful centre half

I'm super impressed with Maguire & his ball playing ability, I would do for someone similar... (who can still do all the usual Huth/Morgan-style heading, last-ditch blocking & obviously heading)

8 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

I thought this thread was about Smalling? If you want to argue about Morgan and Huths capabilities and injury problems. I suggest you start a thread in the general forum. "Rules are the rules" I'm hoping it's not certain rules for some and not for others? :)

Yes but surely we must be able to put any issues into context.

Yet.... I propose we ban putting context into context though.... oh... but now i am breaking that rule by putting your context issue  (querying the right or not to talk about any thing other than the merits of smalling) into context.... take me away... i will go quietly

Just now, foxinsocks said:

Yes but surely we must be able to put any issues into context.

Yet.... I propose we ban putting context into context though.... oh... but now i am breaking that rule by putting your context issue  (querying the right or not to talk about any thing other than the merits of smalling) into context.... take me away... i will go quietly

Nail on the head :thumbup:

31 minutes ago, Bluetintedspecs said:

If you can't tell the difference between people posting total and utter bollocks that has nothing to do with football or even remotely related to it. And discussing our centre backs, their merits and how that's actually linked to whether we need to sign a new centre back, then it's no wonder you seem constantly miffed in this area of the forum. 

Here is a link to them if you're struggling.

Archived