Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

While I agree with the sentiment that it's unfair that other countries are not playing by the rules where the UK are, most of European history has been full of various nations (and before that regions) playing by their own rules and pushing their own agenda. The UK, for instance, were spectacularly good at it in the 19th Century.

....was that really a good thing for a lot of people in a lot of places?

When other countries break the rules, that's a fault of enforcement, not that the UK should be breaking them too to level the playing field IMO.

If you can’t break the rules, break the rule book.

3 hours ago, breadandcheese said:

I see the problem as our country playing by the rules too much. We may not be allowed to negotiate trade deals under EU rules whilst still a member but we should be ignoring that and doing it so that citizens and business are not playing with an unknown quantity after brexit but can have confidence about trade deals in place.

In fact, if we played to our own rules more, the country probably wouldn't have voted for brexit and we wouldn't have this whole silly situation. 

You see it across Europe with other countries pushing their own agenda first and not following all EU rules to the letter.

In my line of work, we have common environmental and health and safety standards throughout the EU. Yet travel around Europe and see the difference in implementation. It is not the same. 

Look at the Schengen agreement. France has imposed border controls. Germany is now closing its Southern border to non EU immigrants. Austria will follow suit.  Italy doing it's own thing.

There's a lesson in there somewhere that we shouldn't follow everything to the letter if othera in the same club don't.

Surely we are following are own rules by not being in Schengen. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Strokes said:

If you can’t break the rules, break the rule book.

Tbh in most circumstances I'm totally with that (or at least changing the rule book). The world changes and humans have got to change with it.

However, given the evidence of history I'm inclined to be a little cautious about it in this situation.

6 hours ago, bovril said:

Surely we are following are own rules by not being in Schengen. 

True but my point was more how religiously we interpret European regulations. Our neighbours don't so get less riled about European regulations and so see the EU as less controlling than the perception here (some exceptions aside such as Greece).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, breadandcheese said:

True but my point was more how religiously we interpret European regulations. Our neighbours don't so get less riled about European regulations and so see the EU as less controlling than the perception here (some exceptions aside such as Greece).

If we don't follow every reg to the letter, somebody in this country would take the govt to court. It doesn't seem to happen in other countries.

18 hours ago, toddybad said:

of I'll grieve quietly, I'm sure.

You trouble for you is that you actually appear to believe the blocks that Boris etc spouted when even they clearly don't believe it. Does the fact there's no plan not bother you? You day it wouldn't be for long - what plan or blueprint have you read that tells you that? Or are you just making up what would happen? It's a complete and utter fantasy.

You are spouting complete drivel, purely based on your own unsubstantiated, shaky opinion.

Doom merchants are a sorry bunch of cynical souls.

Edited by DANGEROUS TIGER
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

You are spouting complete drivel, purely based on your own unsubstantiated, shaky opinion.

You tell him DT.

2 minutes ago, Webbo said:

You tell him DT.

Yeah cos DT has garnished this thread with some real nuggets of information and insight, popping in every couple of months to make some nothing post like "Brexit means Brexit" and other meaningless drivel. lol

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

DT I always knew you would be good for something....:doh:

24 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

It's only unsubstantiated if you ignore all of the available evidence. 

Thick Brexiteers have bet the entire future of our country on the whims of Boris and Farage without having any sort of plan for it. 

Fool.

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Thick Brexiteers have bet the entire future of our country on the whims of Boris and Farage without having any sort of plan for it. 

Fool.

Deary me, you're losing it toddy.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Yeah cos DT has garnished this thread with some real nuggets of information and insight, popping in every couple of months to make some nothing post like "Brexit means Brexit" and other meaningless drivel. lol

Oh dear, little one, are you still crying? Looks like it. :crylaugh:

Just now, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Oh dear, little one, are you still crying? Looks like it. :crylaugh:

See, exactly the kind of pointless, meaningless bullshit I was on about. You're old man, but you've got a little boys brain. Grow up.

24 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Fool.

A typical "Remain" response. Just a big bag of wind, from a sore loser. Clutching at straws appears to be your banal forte.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

A typical "Remain" response. Just a big bag of wind, from a sore loser. Clutching at straws appears to be your banal forte.

What does that even mean? Go at him with some facts. Prove him wrong. You spouting sound bites and nothings. Telling toddy he's a big bag of wind but offer nothing yourself.

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

See, exactly the kind of pointless, meaningless bullshit I was on about. You're old man, but you've got a little boys brain. Grow up.

Now that post does sum you up. Think tantrum toys and pram. Your just another sad little squirt, with a puerile attitude towards your peers, my lad. Empty words come forth from your empty head. Time you were in bed, anyway. :yesyes:

1 minute ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Now that post does sum you up. Think tantrum toys and pram. Your just another sad little squirt, with a puerile attitude towards your peers, my lad. Empty words come forth from your empty head. Time you were in bed, anyway. :yesyes:

Post something with some ****ing substance or **** off you bigoted old ****.

And so be it if that gets me ban.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Countryfox said:

:o ...    crikey ! ...   Flannel  and DT have really taken the gloves off ! ....      I’m outta here ....   :wave:

People are still waiting for him to explain his comments about Tom Daley and his husband adopting a new born child, but of course he makes disgusting hateful bigoted comments and the scuttles back under his rock.

1 hour ago, toddybad said:

Fool.

Our biggest single destination for trade is USA, we don’t have a trade deal with them. 42% of our total trade goes to places we have no deal with. Yes there would be shockwaves if we left with no deal and the Northern Irish border is a problem but it’s not going to be an apocalypse. The markets that are growing, we can strike deals with and given time I’m sure we could re engage with the EU and strike a trade deal if it’s willing. 

We are a large economy and an attractive trade partner but we seem to have no faith in ourselves, with people like you parroting guardian snipes at your own country. It’s a shame and you will hold us back.

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Our biggest single destination for trade is USA, we don’t have a trade deal with them. 42% of our total trade goes to places we have no deal with. Yes there would be shockwaves if we left with no deal and the Northern Irish border is a problem but it’s not going to be an apocalypse. The markets that are growing, we can strike deals with and given time I’m sure we could re engage with the EU and strike a trade deal if it’s willing. 

We are a large economy and an attractive trade partner but we seem to have no faith in ourselves, with people like you parroting guardian snipes at your own country. It’s a shame and you will hold us back.

Two things

1- we already do business with the US, as you say. Much of UK business doesn't want a trade deal with them though as it will mean our market opening to them. Our businesses can't compete with the size and scale of theirs and fear it will hit jobs here hard.

2- I wing hold us back at all. I have no say in what is happening. The complete lack of a plan and honesty is what will hold us back.

10 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Exactly. If @toddybad had just done as he was told and flown a Union Jack in his back garden since the day after the referendum, things would be so different.

6 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Take note @DANGEROUS TIGER that's how you respond. I might not agree with Strokes but at least at times he can put together a coherent argument.

@Strokes our biggest destination for trade is the EU surely, as it's a trading block? And people worrying about the outcome of something and pointing out concerns of themselves and others isn't having no faith it's just being realistic about the situation we find ourselves in. Whether Brexit is good or bad it's been handled terribly.

15 minutes ago, toddybad said:

Two things

1- we already do business with the US, as you say. Much of UK business doesn't want a trade deal with them though as it will mean our market opening to them. Our businesses can't compete with the size and scale of theirs and fear it will hit jobs here hard.

2- I wing hold us back at all. I have no say in what is happening. The complete lack of a plan and honesty is what will hold us back.

No 1 is not true.