Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

Guest MattP

David Davis is about the only bloke left in the cabinet who will stick to his principles, not the first time he's resigned rather than do something he doesn't agree with, fair play to him.

Hopefully this is finally the end of Theresa May and we can take a much stronger approach to negotiations, only problem is who replaces him, no proper Brexiteer is going to take the role with the government's current position.

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I suppose it's a good thing the remainers insisted on a meaningful vote in parliament because there's no way this deal gets voted through.

The only possible way is could get through is with support from the opposition, with a TLW they'll probably get 200 odd Tories voting for it.

Unfortunately I can see that happening as deep down I think those Labour frontbenchers know they don't want anything to do with a Brexit negotiation.

52 minutes ago, MattP said:

The only possible way is could get through is with support from the opposition, with a TLW they'll probably get 200 odd Tories voting for it.

Unfortunately I can see that happening as deep down I think those Labour frontbenchers know they don't want anything to do with a Brexit negotiation.

Absolutely this. 

Its the reason why up until now, nobody has challenged May for Leadership.  Now if they get a bad deal, they can blame May for weakening their position.

Personally, I think this is now going to end up one of two ways.  Hardest possible Brexit (no deal), or Article 50 revoked and we stay in.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

David Davis is about the only bloke left in the cabinet who will stick to his principles, not the first time he's resigned rather than do something he doesn't agree with, fair play to him.

Hopefully this is finally the end of Theresa May and we can take a much stronger approach to negotiations, only problem is who replaces him, no proper Brexiteer is going to take the role with the government's current position.

Sounds like he isn't cut out to be an MP.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I wonder if she might appoint Gove? For months now he's been arguing for acceptance of a short-term compromise to get Brexit over the line - clearly seeing ways of making it a Hard Brexit over coming years, probably after a general election.

He might now have lost credit with purist Hard Brexit types, but frankly I don't think they have much room for manoeuvre short-term: the parliamentary Tory party surely won't overthrow May at this point, even if there's a challenge, so the only option for the Hard Brexiteers is presumably to bring down the govt through an unholy alliance with Corbyn......not sure that would even work (due to Labour Remain moderates) but would the Hard Brexit crew do that, even if they could? And risk a Corbyn govt, maybe even without an election?

I suppose May might prefer a Soft Brexit type who genuinely supports her plan, now that open civil war will be happening in the party anyway.

Your new problem seems to be that there is now not even unity among the Hard Brexiteers....though they may coalesce behind Davis & co, leaving Gove isolated -  and Boris working out which side best suits his career prospects.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I think your problem might be Labour moderates on the backbenches, not the Labour frontbench. Corbyn might be happy to join the Hard Brexiteers in voting any deal down in parliament, but would enough of his backbenchers follow this line?

When the result would be either an immediate Corbyn govt or a general election, I wonder if the Labour moderates would be prepared to do that?

I suppose a lot depends on what would happen if any deal gets voted down in parliament - and if there is any deal, in the first place. Most commentators seem to expect the EU to reject May's proposals or, at least, demand further dilution & less cherry-picking.

As for the "meaningful vote", none has been formally guaranteed, has it? Grieve accepted non-binding assurances from Davis/May that parliament would have some sort of say as defined by John Bercow, as speaker.

As I recall, certain Hard Brexiteer posters on here welcomed the defeat of Grieve's "meaningful vote" amendment. Would be ironic if a Soft Brexit deal were now passed without a meaningful vote...

10 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Shouldn't have been given the job in the first place.

Just the latest in a line of politicians who seem to have come to the conclusion, 'stuff that, looks like hard work', since the exit vote. Started with Cameron the morning after the vote and has continued ever since.

Edited by Max Wall

I bet the handover notes left from Davis are well informed and well prepared. 

Lets face it, Leave never had a fully formed plan and didn’t have a clue who it was going to deal with the fallout. 

It was simply a set of bullet points with nothing behind it. You’ll find people within the public who have a far clearer view of what actions should happen upon leaving the EU. 

• Like 1

Guest MattP
1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

I wonder if she might appoint Gove? For months now he's been arguing for acceptance of a short-term compromise to get Brexit over the line - clearly seeing ways of making it a Hard Brexit over coming years, probably after a general election.

He might now have lost credit with purist Hard Brexit types, but frankly I don't think they have much room for manoeuvre short-term: the parliamentary Tory party surely won't overthrow May at this point, even if there's a challenge, so the only option for the Hard Brexiteers is presumably to bring down the govt through an unholy alliance with Corbyn......not sure that would even work (due to Labour Remain moderates) but would the Hard Brexit crew do that, even if they could? And risk a Corbyn govt, maybe even without an election?

I suppose May might prefer a Soft Brexit type who genuinely supports her plan, now that open civil war will be happening in the party anyway.

Your new problem seems to be that there is now not even unity among the Hard Brexiteers....though they may coalesce behind Davis & co, leaving Gove isolated -  and Boris working out which side best suits his career prospects.

I can't see Govey taking it, he seems to be enjoying his remit as Enviorment Secretary and his position in the party would be diminished given his views, very popular with party members and surely no reason at all to throw that away behind a deal that will be voted down anyway.

If this is going to be Brexit in name only then the job will have to go to a remainer, no one who genuinely believes in leaving the EU can seriously put their name to this plan.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

I can't see Govey taking it, he seems to be enjoying his remit as Enviorment Secretary and his position in the party would be diminished given his views, very popular with party members and surely no reason at all to throw that away behind a deal that will be voted down anyway.

If this is going to be Brexit in name only then the job will have to go to a remainer, no one who genuinely believes in leaving the EU can seriously put their name to this plan.

Dominic Raab, Leave campaigner during referendum but "pragmatist" appointed: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44763998

Appointment welcomed by Davis & Mordaunt, apparently.

Time to kick back and watch the Leave lot blindly try and defend this cvnt now. 

Your new man is an utter bellend chaps, how do you feel? 

How do you wake up every morning and pledge your allegiance to 'men' like this? Do you feel good about it? 

Theyll defend anything.

NO DEAL IS BACK BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amazing. Lets celebrate the very real possibility of tens of thousands of people losing their jobs and the country losing billions in investment. Lets embrace the tariffs and the chaos at the ports with our new expensive customs plans.

SOVEREIGNTY!!!!! FISH!!!!! PASSPORTS THAT DONT LET ME TRAVEL FREELY AROUND EUROPE!!!!

They could tell you brexit is shit in a bucket and some goon would embrace that its british, immigrant free shit

Edited by Donut
  • Haha 2

It seems to me Theresa May has ultimately realised that any sort of Brexit deal with the EU that would benefit this country would mean moving away from the previously stated hard red lines.

The JRM led crowd are of course fiercely    against this... that is understandable, but it doesn’t make their red line wishes any more workable in terms of establishing a deal with the EU. 

I’n not sure “No-deal” is possible anymore  given the ‘backstop’ agreement now in place, we’d simply remain in eternal transition.

So where we go from here is anyone’s guess and is liable to change by the day...

...but one certainty is with so much at stake both on a party political and personal basis, the final outcome that will be said to be “for the best interests of this country” will be anything but and require everyone else to make the best of it.

Parliament vote overwhelmingly yes to the 12 point Chequers plan

The new fella sells it to the EU - piece of piss

We all crack on

What's the problem?

Edited by Izzy Muzzett