Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

Politics Thread (encompassing Brexit) - 21 June 2017 onwards

.We have had the Referendum, and a million plus people voted leave. That is done and dusted. I would be quite happy to have a second vote given to the people. However, it would have to be a democratic vote. Either, accept the Prime Minister's deal, or no deal at all.

Personally, I would hope for the latter, as the current deal is far too soft, and still will allow us to be shoved around by the E.U. A hard Brexit is needed imo.

Macron really expects us to allow E.U. fishing in U.K. waters!!! He and his cronies can go and do one. French piece of shi-.

23 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

.We have had the Referendum, and a million plus people voted leave. That is done and dusted. I would be quite happy to have a second vote given to the people. However, it would have to be a democratic vote. Either, accept the Prime Minister's deal, or no deal at all.

Personally, I would hope for the latter, as the current deal is far too soft, and still will allow us to be shoved around by the E.U. A hard Brexit is needed imo.

Macron really expects us to allow E.U. fishing in U.K. waters!!! He and his cronies can go and do one. French piece of shi-.

A million plus voted to stay too so what's your point? And how is a strongarm take it or leave it vote 'democratic'? Lol 

2 hours ago, FoxNotFox said:

I think I've said before but I could see a transferable vote being used, though one can't see remainers wanting to make a 2nd choice!

Despite having criticisms of the EU, I'd vote Remain again, but don't know which I'd transfer my vote to.

Autonomy, guaranteed short-term mayhem & serious medium-term economic damage (No Deal) v. More minor, if pointless short/medium-term damage but no guaranteed autonomy.....tough choice!

Mind you, which will a No Dealer prefer, Remain or Vassal State? And which will a May loyalist prefer, No Deal chaos or Remain sell-out? :D

Oh dear.  The Hammond/Treasury estimate is being torn apart so what do the government do?  Why of course panic and get Carney to come out and threaten us with the same thermonuclear garbage that we were threatened with prior to the referendum.  It's sad.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, SMX11 said:

The Bank of England really doesn't care about its credibility does it? 

The worst thing about it is they make wrong prediction after wrong prediction and still expect everyone to swallow everything they say, Carney has risked his whole reputation just to satisfy the treasury.

The way it's neutrality has been compromised has been terrible, are they going to stick their noses in when we have General Elections in the future and tell us not to vote Labour because of the economic cost - it honestly wouldn't surprise me these days.

11 hours ago, MattP said:

Here's a decent read from Martin Howe QC about why this deal is so bad.

Wow, reading through that and assuming that his points are valid, and that I’ve understood them, May’s deal really is the pits isn’t it? Surely neither Brexiteers or Remainers can be in favour?

Damn David Cameron for trying to patch up Tory divisions by putting such a simplistic vote to the country! I see no way out of this that keeps democratic credibility, sovereign integrity and the economy all intact.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

I find it amusing but a bit sad that "the people have voted" (regrettably, I voted leave) and therefore that's it, democracy has spoken, we're not to deliberate over the matter again. In practical terms leaving is just so difficult, even if there wasn't a massively divided party propped up by some Northern Irish seats and we had a competent PM I can't imagine negotiations running smoothly. 2 years is too small a window, a remain voter is leading the leave campaign, a leave voter represents a divided party whose supporters largely voted remain, the EU are belligerent, the actual decision was nebulous and the cabinet is incompetent amongst other factors. Really it couldn't have gone much worse whichever side you voted for (aside from some that wanted no deal from the beginning but I can't remember seeing anybody say so in 2016).

• Like 2

Anyone think we'll see a fit of outrage about how white, male, pale and stale the BoE is like we did with the ERG meeting last week?

Thought not, can't think why.

IMG_20181129_064209.jpg

7 minutes ago, Lionator said:

No deal would be catastrophic, there's no polishing it, people would die as a result of it, Phillip Hammond basically said so, so did the Bank of England, you'd think these people would know more than say JRM.

No, the whole world will be queueing up to do a free-trade deal a minute after midnight on the day we leave and the EU needs us more than we need them, remember?

Oh, and think of all those lovely unicorns.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Lionator said:

No deal would be catastrophic, there's no polishing it, people would die as a result of it, Phillip Hammond basically said so, so did the Bank of England, you'd think these people would know more than say JRM.

Really?

Sounds a bit dramatic to me...

1 hour ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

Really?

Sounds a bit dramatic to me...

There is an expectation that No Deal would disrupt complex supply chains for medicines, a large proportion of which are imported from the EU.

This is an obvious risk to anyone whose health depends on medication. The Govt has recommended that suppliers stockpile medicines, but this isn't always straightforward due to storage, shelf life and temperature issues.

Here's an article by the President of the Pharmaceutical Society: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/jul/31/prescription-drug-brexit-pharmacy-supply-chains-shortages

I'm not suggesting that anyone should be panicking. I'd still hope that No Deal won't happen - or that some provisional agreement can address this, if No Deal looks imminent. That's by no means certain, though.

• Thanks 1

answer me this - if all of the financial and economic forecasting is scaremongering and 'project fear' then why are they trying so hard to keep impartial legal advice on brexit covered up?

i'll take a stab - they are covering up the legal advice because it confirms that the financial and economic forecasting is correct and brexit has nothing to offer that is better than we already have.

easy.

3 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

answer me this - if all of the financial and economic forecasting is scaremongering and 'project fear' then why are they trying so hard to keep impartial legal advice on brexit covered up?

i'll take a stab - they are covering up the legal advice because it confirms that the financial and economic forecasting is correct and brexit has nothing to offer that is better than we already have.

easy.

Or that is explains that Mrs May's deal doesn't deliver what she claims......

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

I'm sorry but stating things like that completely undermines your argument. 

It seems May thinks extending A50 will invalidate her deal and they'll have to start again on a new deal...

Asked whether an extension could be made to article 50, the timetable which decrees the UK leave on 29 March next year, to allow time for a referendum, May argued this would invalidate the deal agreed in Brussels on Sunday.

... I wonder what the EU will say about that? Is May just tightening the thumb screws?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/nov/29/extending-article-50-would-invalidate-brexit-deal-says-may

Edited by FoxNotFox

1 hour ago, Kopfkino said:

The EU could have refused both options.

Maybe they could have done but it would be a lot harder to as precedents have already been set. As I said that would have been the starting point for me, it may not be as easy as I implied but you start there and work towards greater separation, but you have that agreed up front and then chip away at it. It may have exposed our hand, or lack of one, much earlier but it would have given a stability to the negotiations and a reassurance that a disastrous no deal could be avoided. 

That then becomes the alternative to the deal instead of no deal.

4 hours ago, lifted*fox said:

easy.

Not really - remember Carney and co said that even a leave vote (just the vote, let alone actually leaving) would lead to economic ruin. More or less guaranteed it, in fact.

It didn’t.

This is why when they come out with this guff again people take it with a pinch of salt 

2 minutes ago, Milo said:

Not really - remember Carney and co said that even a leave vote (just the vote, let alone actually leaving) would lead to economic ruin. More or less guaranteed it, in fact.

It didn’t.

This is why when they come out with this guff again people take it with a pinch of salt 

my original question though - if the deal is so good why are they trying to keep the legal advice hidden?