Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

Bad game management ... his decisions , coupled with some atrocious defending cost us in the end.

I really want to him to succeed but if we lose next week followed by a trip to United I fear that the

knives will begin to be sharpened just three games in. Next weekend is crucial as I don't expect

anything at Old Trafford.

Last nights substitutions cost us the game. It's too early to say but if that happened more often questions will and should be asked. Albrighton had a great game but he was out on his feet about 10mins before he was taken off as he'd ran himself in to the ground. And I just feel he felt obligated to bring Iheanacho on when he did. Either bring him on for Okazaki or just don't bring him on at all and then start him against Brighton. Don't just put him on because you promised him first team football defending a lead away from home and feel you have to give him a run out. 

• Like 2

Really negative posts on here as you'd expect from impatient people. For Ramsey's goal, our whole team lost concentration and Giroud could have been picked up more tightly but wasn't. Many, many teams will go to the Emirates this year and not even score; we got three away from home and looked absolutely lethal - surely that bodes well against lesser teams? 

The subs backfired on us last night but I'd cut him a bit of slack. We scored as many goals last night against arsenal away than in our last 4 games away to them combined. 

Last night was admirable. A club of our stature is going to be in that position down the home straight rarely and we were always going to come under pressure at the end. 

If our home form is bad then shakey will start to feel the heat but I would cut him a bit of slack for last night. 

Of the arsenal away games it was as well as we've played there. 

• Like 1

Anyone who doesnt realise Arsenal were there for the taking, should have another look at their backline for the game.

My worry is that he's not been able to sort out our issue of defending set pieces and cross, it's been our achilles heal for the last 12 months.

We were causing problems and as likely ti score as concede.  Shinji was key to getti g the ball fwd from midfield.  

Without his role we were pinned back...

Like for like would have been fine..... subs to see it ourt was disasterous.  

He should have sat tight to be ready to counter their changes.

An expensive lesson 

• Like 1

Iheanacho needs game time due to the time it took us to get him in

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending the subs decision

He thought he was doing the right thing and he got it wrong but he's not the only one to do it

Wasilewski comes on fouls in the very last minute Wellbeck scores

Why always Arsenal    :frusty:

He got 80mins game tactics right...His subs didnt translate his instructions.!!? Though I thought he got

the timing wrong, but All and I mean all managers, often get their sub-descisions wrong.

Too early far too early...we could win 90% of the games and still get subs wrong , how do we then judge!!

Its Shakespeares whole/alround team management, and results where he gets judged.

If we secure a good top 12, with few struggles, I would be the last to criticise him this season.

A certain Carte Blanche, he deserves to have, before we kick start collecting negatives.

On this, IMHO we had alot of negative, pathetic posts from last night. Not on the view of subs as such, but questioning his future....!!!

He started well, fulfilled objectives and we seem to be in good physical shape, with some positive additions. He's earned his chance whether he turns out to be the right man or not. Sacking him was a risk because of the disharmony it could have caused. It's allowed us to evolve, rather than overhaul. And there are more examples of coaches who make a go of the manager's job than some have suggested.

There are question marks too. Appleton came in, according to some, to reinstate the good-cop-bad-cop dynamic. If that's true, then I wonder whether this really works when the 'good cop' is the one who has the final say. Will the manager always back up his assistant?

I also understand people questioning his game management, including for the Arsenal game. Obviously the manager takes the ultimate responsibility, even if individual sloppiness cost us.

Will he get the balance right between showing faith in his big names, and showing too much faith in them? Will he be able to handle the ageing of influential players like Morgan, Fuchs, Huth? Drop important voices in the dressing room, like King, who haven't necessarily got a big role to play from now on? Deal with Mahrez? Deal with Gray?

In the context of the club's history he's likely to be the guy who came after the spectacular success of Pearson and Ranieri, and who managed us at a time when our greatest ever side was coming unstuck. He'll do very, very well not to be blamed (by some) for overseeing our gradual decline, even if he does achieve stability in the process.

13 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Bring two fresh players on in a game played at such a high tempo is always going to cause problems, 1 sub would of done it King on for Okazaki

Think Shakey has more than enough knowledge we looked devastating at times last nights.

Have you seen what our win percentage is like over the past two seasons with King on the pitch, compared to without him on the pitch? I'm inclined to agree that the substitutions may have been incorrect, but not because what we desperately needed was to bring King on for Okazaki, instead of Amartey on for Okazaki. 

Amartey did little wrong. Neither were the other two subs to blame, regardless of whether the back-and-forthing with formation failed to have its desired effect.

We know Okazaki struggles to make 90 minutes. And the manager said that James was struggling fitness-wise. So errors might have been made, but choosing to replace two pairs of tired legs is unlikely to be what killed our tempo. If anything, you need to make the subs earlier to maintain momentum.

We failed to regain the initiative, were perhaps a little too negative in trying to do so and dealt poorly with balls into the box, especially at set pieces. As much as I love him, Andy King is unlikely to be the magic wand that cures these ills.

Did the subs make any real effect on the two goals conceded? Both set pieces, awful decision making from players on the pitch. 

I have barely seen any credit for the good call in playing shinji and also targeting their left side of the back 3 is the area to attack

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Did the subs make any real effect on the two goals conceded? Both set pieces, awful decision making from players on the pitch. 

I have barely seen any credit for the good call in playing shinji and also targeting their left side of the back 3 is the area to attack

We lost our threat to go fwd.... we were never going to score more.  It could only go one way.... and did

18 hours ago, foxinsocks said:

We lost our threat to go fwd.... we were never going to score more.  It could only go one way.... and did

We shut up shop from 60 minutes before the players even went off. I was disappointed at that because we controlled the opening ten minutes of the second half. 

Whether that was a managerial decision or a mental thing from the players, very hard to say. 

Shakespeare's 2nd sub should have gave us more 'attacking intent' 

It didn't because we had a set of players who just booted the ball away wasting possession. Again not a managerial thing (although could be used in twelve months time, if we continually ignore technicality)

1 hour ago, Johnthefoxrayner said:

I respect your opinion. But give Shakey a chance please. 

To be fair he has had a chance. The squad rode the new manager syndrome to the best of their capability last season but the tactical frailties showed through towards the end and are now apparent now as well. I get the players respect him and thats a positive but i am starting to think it maybe better to sever all ties with the Pearson and Ranieri eras and start afresh.

• Like 1