Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

29 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Agree with that. What do you think about him as a centre half? He seemed to be highly acclaimed at AFCON though I recognise that that's not the stiffest test in the world.  Perhaps would have been worth at least the best part of a preseason game though to evaluate him? He'd also played there at Copenhagen. I don't think he's rb material and when fit,  half a team in front of him in midfield. 

Centre-back may end up his strongest position with his tackling becoming tighter, his strength/determination improving and his not having to worry so much about tracking runners from midfield.

It might enhance his strong points and negate his weaknesses to some extent. Huth is not an "urgent" player but then he's bigger and more dominant than Amartey and there's the rub.

Will Amartey ever be fearsome enough as a stopper centre-back? I have my doubts and, if he's not, I fail to see where his stand-out strengths are likely to be in any position.

As a footballer I'd see him as a machine minder rather than an innovator. Willing enough but not a ruthless warrior or busy go-getter. He's still coltish in his style but it's hard to see an astute, unfluttered thoroughbred emerging.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

I think that's partly my point though. If Marhez had a whole season and performed the way he did, then I'd sooner of had Gray get a run in the side. I agree he hasn't set the world alight to date but there's definitely talent there, but you can't really expect him to shine with the odd ten minutes or so here and there. Some of his cameos have resulted in him perhaps trying to do too much and failing but I see at least part of that being the pressure of being a very young man, knowing you've only got a few minutes to try and show something . Marhez has bundles of experience and still tried to do too much. Why should he want to be here when he can't get a game when the bloke who's supposed to be better than him doesn't make the effort and is a total disgrace and voices the fact he doesn't want to be here. Yet he still plays,  what sort of great managerial message can you glean from that? Would it make you feel wanted or part of any plans? He's at an age where he needs games to develop and if he were my son I'd be advising him accordingly.  You don't mind playing second fiddle to an individual who through form can't be removed, but in this case it's purely nepotism.

A couple of years ago Mahrez was still a self-contained footballer but he was regularly rating 7-9 for his performances - not because of his tenaciousness when we lost the ball but because he scored goals, made goals and ripped even organised defences apart with some regularity. Albrighton at the time was a solid team player rating 6's and 7s.

Now, for a good while too, Mahrez rates anything from four to seven - and too often at the lower end of those figures, while Albrighton has lived, learned and developed so become one of the best and most dependable players in our squad and one who's forever adding to his game at no cost to his incredible energy. 

From the sort of guy you could play or bench with equal justification he's all but indispensible at the moment and a guy who's so clearly committed to the cause and whatever part his asked to play I even feel guilty marking him down a touch when he's not quite been at his best because it's never for the want of trying and then trying some more.

Mahrez no longer reflects the sheer joy of football as the likes of Vardy, Shinji and Albrighton do - somehow he's become a peripheral figure who's tolerated for his undoubted ability to still do something or consequence but who's long since stopped being wedded to the group.

And it means that Leicester today are "all the one, one for all" minus about 20 per cent and it's that 20 per cent we want back if we're ever to realise our owners and our club's ambitions again.          

No. I am. Fuching stupid putting a playwright in charge of a football team. What's he going to do to motivate them? Pen a fuching sonnet. No way will that give them enough Verve. And it seems now that the other path cannot be walked, the drugs don't work. 

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to warm to him as a manager. Results and performances are what it's all about so I'll judge him on that but there's something missing at the minute on a softer level. I know not all managers have the happy go lucky character that makes the public and media love them, in fact Shakespeare comes across quite well in the press but there's something not quite right yet. Hopefully it'll come as he develops as a manager, so far he's done a very solid job for us.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I was thinking about this after last night's game and so far I think Shakespeare is doing a great job. Sure our opposition was "only" Sheffield United, but we scored 4 goals against them and looked class in the second half. It's the second time we've scored 4 already this season and our squad looks so strong.

Things that I have noticed so far this season and like:

- We are playing way less hoofball. Even against Arsenal we didn't just lump it. Maybe it's because Drinkwater is out of the team and Maguire is in it, but this is a huge improvement on last season. We still have some way to go, but definitely moving in the right direction.

- We are becoming ruthless. Some of the goals we have scored this season have been clinical. We've got that look of a strong team about us.

- We are being more aggressive. Slimani was chasing the ball down. Shinji is making more runs into the box and finishing. Harry Maguire is the most creative centre half in the country with some awesome runs upfield!

- Shakespeare's handling of Mahez has been first class. Whereas Van Dijk is on strike, Diego Costa is being a nob and Coutinho is getting his knickers in a twist, Riyad is playing some good stuff and not negatively affecting the team dynamic.

- Body language from the team looks great this season. A real throwback to two seasons ago. On the bench versus the blades you could see Mahrez, Vardy and Ablrighton cracking up together. Slimani has looked jovial even though he's largely been on the bench. Shinji has the killer smile that we all love as per usual. And look at the way the players celebrated Musa scoring! That was pretty hilarious and touching in a truly LCFC way. Only Gray is a bit pouty, and that's his personality more than his feelings.

- Fringe players are impressing. Matty James looks good, Slimani looks good, Gray looks good. Amartey and King looked good last night. Even though Mendy only played 10 minutes even he looked OK! Again this is a great sign - players know they are under pressure to perform and they are raising their game. Well other than Leo sadly.

- The way the team and players talk to the media is encouraging. Shakespeare looks comfortable behind the mic. Maguire was super eloquent and professional.

- The depth in our squad is the best it has ever been. As of right now I would go as far as saying we don't know what our best team is. But I mean this in a good way! Last night we had Vardy, Mahrez, Albighton, Morgan, Huth, Drinkwater, Okazaki, Simpson, Kasper all out of the team and still scored 4. Iborra and Ihenacho are yet to get going for us. I can genuinely say this is the strongest squad we have ever had. One or two might need to be moved on, but we look strong.

In writing this, we are about to go on a very tricky run where things could change. But credit where it's due. Shakespeare has done well and I am really excited for this season.

Said similar but in less words in the match thread, Very positive signs so far.

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'll be honest, I'm struggling to warm to him as a manager. Results and performances are what it's all about so I'll judge him on that but there's something missing at the minute on a softer level. I know not all managers have the happy go lucky character that makes the public and media love them, in fact Shakespeare comes across quite well in the press but there's something not quite right yet. Hopefully it'll come as he develops as a manager, so far he's done a very solid job for us.

So you don't like him for reasons unknown.

17 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I was thinking about this after last night's game and so far I think Shakespeare is doing a great job. Sure our opposition was "only" Sheffield United, but we scored 4 goals against them and looked class in the second half. It's the second time we've scored 4 already this season and our squad looks so strong.

Things that I have noticed so far this season and like:

- We are playing way less hoofball. Even against Arsenal we didn't just lump it. Maybe it's because Drinkwater is out of the team and Maguire is in it, but this is a huge improvement on last season. We still have some way to go, but definitely moving in the right direction.

- We are becoming ruthless. Some of the goals we have scored this season have been clinical. We've got that look of a strong team about us.

- We are being more aggressive. Slimani was chasing the ball down. Shinji is making more runs into the box and finishing. Harry Maguire is the most creative centre half in the country with some awesome runs upfield!

- Shakespeare's handling of Mahez has been first class. Whereas Van Dijk is on strike, Diego Costa is being a nob and Coutinho is getting his knickers in a twist, Riyad is playing some good stuff and not negatively affecting the team dynamic.

- Body language from the team looks great this season. A real throwback to two seasons ago. On the bench versus the blades you could see Mahrez, Vardy and Ablrighton cracking up together. Slimani has looked jovial even though he's largely been on the bench. Shinji has the killer smile that we all love as per usual. And look at the way the players celebrated Musa scoring! That was pretty hilarious and touching in a truly LCFC way. Only Gray is a bit pouty, and that's his personality more than his feelings.

- Fringe players are impressing. Matty James looks good, Slimani looks good, Gray looks good. Amartey and King looked good last night. Even though Mendy only played 10 minutes even he looked OK! Again this is a great sign - players know they are under pressure to perform and they are raising their game. Well other than Leo sadly.

- The way the team and players talk to the media is encouraging. Shakespeare looks comfortable behind the mic. Maguire was super eloquent and professional.

- The depth in our squad is the best it has ever been. As of right now I would go as far as saying we don't know what our best team is. But I mean this in a good way! Last night we had Vardy, Mahrez, Albighton, Morgan, Huth, Drinkwater, Okazaki, Simpson, Kasper all out of the team and still scored 4. Iborra and Ihenacho are yet to get going for us. I can genuinely say this is the strongest squad we have ever had. One or two might need to be moved on, but we look strong.

In writing this, we are about to go on a very tricky run where things could change. But credit where it's due. Shakespeare has done well and I am really excited for this season.

Totally agree with that.

It's early days so we shouldn't get carried away, but I said from the start that Shakey has been integral to us winning League One, the Championship and the Premier League.

He has learned from the best and worst traits of Nige and Claudio. His interviews are honest, to the point, light hearted, guarded and crucially down to earth.

I believe he adheres to a philosophy that has been key to all our success and is sticking to it (442, counter attacking, percentage and sports science and psychology led).

Look at all the other clubs who have gone flavour of the month with 3 at the back? That is short termism thinking. Compare that to us and we are thinking about the long game and maintaining an identity, much in the same way Barca are known for their tika taka. We are keeping faith with what we are doing and looking to improve in other areas (better players, better individual coaching, instructional tactics).

I believe Shakey is the man, his immediate challenges are losing key players at the end of the transfer window, our tough run of fixtures and his match management/subs, etc.

1 hour ago, Babylon said:

So you don't like him for reasons unknown.

It's not that I don't like him as he's proven to be a great part of this club for ages now, it's just a feeling I've got as him being manager. Hand on heart I don't see him lasting the season. 

1 hour ago, EnglishOxide said:

Look at all the other clubs who have gone flavour of the month with 3 at the back? That is short termism thinking. 

Interesting comments by Shakespeare about our formation counter-acts the 3-5-2 tread as if you play it right you can consistently catch the wing-backs out of position. 

The trend sees the third central midfielder doing a job where he rarely attacks. He sits in the front of the defensive three, filling in and knocking it around. Does that player ever mean we are outnumbered in midfield?

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I know exactly what you mean. I always stick up for him when talking with other fans, I think he was the right choice at the time and I'm pleased with is performance so far, but................

I kind of get the idea that he doesn't believe completely in himself yet. I think it was after the Arsenal game he said "I'm still learning too" - You could congratulate him on his honesty but that's something that I'd never admit in the Premier League.

I fear for Shaky when he inventively has a poor run, which will happen to him at some point like it does for everyone. I don't think he'll have the tin hat and resilience to get through. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

With NP he was abrasive and very protective of the team to the outside world, which I loved. Then Claudio was the polar opposite, the media darling, so to speak. Shakey falls somewhere in between, quite boring really lol. Maybe this is why you've struggled to warm to him?

I like the fact that we're giving a relatively young English manager a chance and he's shown encouraging signs for us so far. If he genuinely is learning as he goes along while also putting some decent building blocks in place for us then I'd be happy for us to stick with him for a prolonged period as that bodes well for the future.

It'll be interesting to see what we're saying here in October though following a few very difficult matches, before going into some "easier" ones.

• Like 1

Absolutely no complaints, did have a whinge when he was given it permanently but I suppose I was secretly holding out for Tuchel to come along. That said I'm more than happy to stand by Shakey and give him the time he needs. Personally think we will be in top tier of the table but if we're in a relegation scrap than probably would have to reconsider.

To early to call wether he's going to cut it as the manager, we know he's a very good coach, without a doubt this is a massive step up for him.

I have seen things that concern me with his abilities as manager, and I have saw bits to be positive about.

Before his appointment, I thought he wouldn't get us relegated, and wouldn't be the man to move us on, still think that, but only time will tell, but I hope he can push us on, and not be sacked, as this manager merry go round isn't good for club.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Monsell1976 said:

To early to call wether he's going to cut it as the manager, we know he's a very good coach, without a doubt this is a massive step up for him.

I have seen things that concern me with his abilities as manager, and I have saw bits to be positive about.

Before his appointment, I thought he wouldn't get us relegated, and wouldn't be the man to move us on, still think that, but only time will tell, but I hope he can push us on, and not be sacked, as this manager merry go round isn't good for club.

Agree with every word

He's a very good coach, and doesn't make too many mistakes when addressing the media.

As some have said, his true tests lay in the future when we go through a patch of poor form, but he has got us playing some good football so far. There's goals in this team, and we're going to be fun (and probably infuriating, at times) to watch this season.

He seems to be right out of the Pearson mould in terms of building the football club as a whole, which can only be a good thing. Tactics look like his weakness so far- if he can learn to make the right subs at the right time and tweak the shape as and when required, I have no doubt he can take us forward.

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

I know exactly what you mean. I always stick up for him when talking with other fans, I think he was the right choice at the time and I'm pleased with is performance so far, but................

I kind of get the idea that he doesn't believe completely in himself yet. I think it was after the Arsenal game he said "I'm still learning too" - You could congratulate him on his honesty but that's something that I'd never admit in the Premier League.

I fear for Shaky when he inventively has a poor run, which will happen to him at some point like it does for everyone. I don't think he'll have the tin hat and resilience to get through. 

I dont mind him admitting that he's learning if he takes it into subsequent games. It does look like he's motivating the team pretty well and we're playing good football. Hopefully he'll learn quickly about game management and make the right subs and keep us playing football for 90 minutes. I think things could work out well. We'll probably know by Christmas if he's good enough or not

I think he was possibly the best available to the owners at the time. I think they looked elsewhere at who would be willing and able to come and came up short. Maybe some of a prospective managers reluctance would have been the squad he would inherit and what happened to our last manager. Suspicions, rightly or wrongly so, of the colusion of players and backroom staff.

Shakespeare has got to be allowed to grow to some extent but it's a multi million pound business and how he dealt with Arsenal was worrying substitution wise. Brighton were a no show, but you still have to beat them. Sheffield were poor but even then, despite a decent victory there were varying opinions of his initial team selection, not only in blend of players used but worry regarding injury to certain key players, Maguire for example, our only fit first team centre back. Bet Shakespeare's arse was half a crown and sixpence when he got crocked in  the early stages! A possible clearer picture will form after the next 4 matches is my bet, not necessarily just on results, because three of them are against potential top four teams, but on tactics employed and players picked. However, that's what he's paid for and it goes with the territory. 

Edited by volpeazzurro