Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

1 hour ago, Koke said:

I watched Southampton v Man Utd yesterday and the way Southampton pinned United back into their own half and dominated them was impressive. Southampton had 61% possession and United were camped in their own half 2nd half.  We didnt and couldn't do that against Chelsea or Liverpool. 

I fear Shakespeare will tactically be shown up against Southampton, just like he was against Huddersfield, and just like he will against Bournemouth next week. 

We never have done that to anyone even during the title winning season and with the actual system we play, never will.

Our DNA is of a lethal counter attacking team, which thrives in sucking the opposition's pressure out for 90' and killing them in the break, period.

Problem is, our midfield went from being utter quality to mediocre at best, and our aging CB pairing needed renewal.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kitchandro said:

He didn't really keep us up as such. He didn't do anything different to what Ranieri was doing, the players were simply putting in more effort for him. The tactics were very similar but the work rate improved and we cut out some errors.

We finished the season looking like a very boring, very average side and there's been no improvement in the opening games.

He's been given a chance to show us how he likes to play football and it isn't good enough. You can see he is tactically inept. 

Why give him any longer?

In answer to your question, there was no point hiring him in the first place, we shouldn't have done it. But we need to rectify that mistake before it's too late.

He will get a couple more months regardless I think. The owners will give him a fair shake. We need to win a couple of the next 5 at the very least.

I just get the impression that the owners ambitions have changed short term. I think they’d be quite happy just staying up for the next few seasons. I agree that he isn’t the right man to turn us into a top 8 club.

• Like 1

I don't think Shakey is the right man for the job. I was worried when we gave it to him in the first place.

It's not very often in modern day football that an assistant manager gets the promotion to the top job and then takes the team to the next level. It's more likely the case that they are sacked after the standard honeymoon period of results.

I would be very excited to see us show a bit of ambition and go for Tuchel, but I don't think he would be too interested. And other than that, there's not many other names out there at the moment that I would be bothered about at all.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Well done to orangecity23 for making relevant points although the thread wouldn't exist if someone didn't want to have a pop at the manager so it's not really a surprise to see it attract comments from those who don't believe in him 

I'm confident that the owners of the club are intelligent enough to wait for us to get to December and then see where we are. Of course if we lose the next four games then that would be a problem for craig. 

That said, I remain surprised that at no point has he tried 3-5-2 thus far. Maybe because we have never really been out of games he hasn't felt he has nothing to lose. I think he lacks a bit of confidence and is therefore a tad too conservative in his game management 

I Wonder were all these crying out for shakes to get the job. Most probably ?

• Like 1

Said it at the time and I'll say it again, we should have gone for Marco Silva ... he was available same time and what a job he's doing at Watford! A more forward thinking progressive manager with a good tactical mind. They understand football on the continent. Look at Shaks and Appleton it's cringeable

1 hour ago, somebum said:

Said it at the time and I'll say it again, we should have gone for Marco Silva ... he was available same time and what a job he's doing at Watford! A more forward thinking progressive manager with a good tactical mind. They understand football on the continent. Look at Shaks and Appleton it's cringeable

Not the cudda shudda sh1te again ! ...   how do you know he would have done a job here with this team ? ..   with those players that Shakey is choosing from ?  

• Like 1

When you have limited midfield options surely the best thing would be to put 3 in midfield, shakeys faith in the 442 system and Mahrez is going to cost him is job, the first half against Liverpool in the cup was an embarrassment and the first 40 mins against them in the premier was an embarrassment, why is it that a lot of fans can see we are out numbered and asking to much of a midfield 2 and Shakey cannot see this and he's supposed to be the professional!

9 minutes ago, the messenger said:

When you have limited midfield options surely the best thing would be to put 3 in midfield, shakeys faith in the 442 system and Mahrez is going to cost him is job, the first half against Liverpool in the cup was an embarrassment and the first 40 mins against them in the premier was an embarrassment, why is it that a lot of fans can see we are out numbered and asking to much of a midfield 2 and Shakey cannot see this and he's supposed to be the professional!

Maybe he has no choice other than to play 442. Ranieri said himself that he asked the players about changing formation and they all wanted to stick with 442. I doubt Shakespeare wants to get on the bad side of any of his mates.

I just wonder what our team would look and play like if we did hire someone like Marco Silva. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, the messenger said:

How easily people forget quite how bad we were last season. For the 40 minutes on Saturday we were not an embarrassment. Ok, perhaps a bit open, but with the midfield options we have at the minute you can see why. We were creating chances, working hard and unsettling their defence. It was a typical performance from us that on another day could have seen us go into the break ahead.

11 hours ago, lcfcrinaldi said:

I don't think Shakey is the right man for the job. I was worried when we gave it to him in the first place.

It's not very often in modern day football that an assistant manager gets the promotion to the top job and then takes the team to the next level. It's more likely the case that they are sacked after the standard honeymoon period of results.

I would be very excited to see us show a bit of ambition and go for Tuchel, but I don't think he would be too interested. And other than that, there's not many other names out there at the moment that I would be bothered about at all.

I hear this "he isn't the right man for the job" a lot but it's rarely followed up with substance or reasoning.

On paper he is very much the right man for the job. 4 points out of 18 isn't great, but we've played well in 4/5 of those games and we all know the issues he'd had with players being injured, unavailable or sold. Play those matches again with identical performance levels and I'm confident we come away with more than 4 points.

Unfortunately, after a season of only losing three times, a lot of our fans can no longer deal with us losing matches and overreact, desperately searching for a scapegoat. The recently promoted assistant manager is an easy target.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, the messenger said:

Not sure Shakey is entirely to blame for the Mahrez problem?

I mentioned this in a separet thread a few weeks ago that our determination/intransigence NOT to sell Mahrez below our own valuation (which no other club is willing to pay so therefore its NOT the market value of the player!) ensures Shakey now has to accomodate TWO unhappy players (Mahrez who doesnt want to be here and Gray who doesnt want to be on the bench!) and I wouldnt be entirely surprised if there was pressure from above to keep Mahrez playing so he is kept in the shop-window for January.

Consider this.....if the highest bid we received in Aug was £38m and that was considered 'unacceptable', what will be the likely highest bid in January if we 'bench' him for the next few months? 

Said it at the time that we should just have accepted the money and moved on as it is potentially upsetting the dynamcis within the squad and its just pride/ego that stopped us from accepting a bid lower than our valuation.  We are a very wealthy club now and the Mahrez and Drinkwater transfer hagglings were unnecessary and ego-driven IMO and are now starting to cost us.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Foxes1 said:

Which wasn't his fault, still I suppose golden b*******s Rudkin will get away with it.

If Shakey gets toasted and Rudkin survives the much warranted cull, that would be scandalous in the eyes of most human beings.   I can imagine the press slaughtering the Owners' again.....if this scenario were to happen.

13 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I hear this "he isn't the right man for the job" a lot but it's rarely followed up with substance or reasoning.

On paper he is very much the right man for the job. 4 points out of 18 isn't great, but we've played well in 4/5 of those games and we all know the issues he'd had with players being injured, unavailable or sold. Play those matches again with identical performance levels and I'm confident we come away with more than 4 points.

Unfortunately, after a season of only losing three times, a lot of our fans can no longer deal with us losing matches and overreact, desperately searching for a scapegoat. The recently promoted assistant manager is an easy target.

I'm sorry Ricey, I agree with 99.9% of your posts as you're a footballing man but I can't have that. We were good vs Arsenal, we were very mediocre vs Brighton it was one of the most boring victories I've ever witnessed but we got the job done as they were toothless. We were not interested in going forward much vs Man Utd and it was inevitable we would lose, we were again absent vs Chelsea until we went 2-0 down and then we took risks and posed a few problems. We were diabolical against Huddersfield and had we been 2 or 3-0 down like we should have been this place would be even more depressing right now. On Saturday we just invited them to go ahead and score again so that we could relax and take the shackles off, it's a catastrophic footballing mentality. You can't keep going behind and expect to get anything from games.

We badly need a win from somewhere and then this run of easier games could see us picking up confidence and form but whether that will teach Shakespeare anything I'm not so sure. It's the manner in which we've been approaching games and the tactics that disturb me and long term I don't see him being what we aspire to be. I'd expect someone with far more tactical class, regardless of what's he's helped us achieve as assistant.

• Like 1

We could have had Woy whose not exactly tearing up trees at Palace

Shakey has been dealt a bum hand by the recruitment fiasco but

Tactically not looking good

Surely he should try a variety of setups flexibility?

Please drop Mahrez

Please include the new recruits in the plans/ team

Time is running out we are going backwards and the " he can turn it round" quotes

So depressing 

21 minutes ago, Foxy-Lady said:

Not sure Shakey is entirely to blame for the Mahrez problem?

I mentioned this in a separet thread a few weeks ago that our determination/intransigence NOT to sell Mahrez below our own valuation (which no other club is willing to pay so therefore its NOT the market value of the player!) ensures Shakey now has to accomodate TWO unhappy players (Mahrez who doesnt want to be here and Gray who doesnt want to be on the bench!) and I wouldnt be entirely surprised if there was pressure from above to keep Mahrez playing so he is kept in the shop-window for January.

Consider this.....if the highest bid we received in Aug was £38m and that was considered 'unacceptable', what will be the likely highest bid in January if we 'bench' him for the next few months? 

Said it at the time that we should just have accepted the money and moved on as it is potentially upsetting the dynamcis within the squad and its just pride/ego that stopped us from accepting a bid lower than our valuation.  We are a very wealthy club now and the Mahrez and Drinkwater transfer hagglings were unnecessary and ego-driven IMO and are now starting to cost us.

Interesting point and I doubt we will ever know ..  well not for a long while anyway ...   when we play 'better' teams Mahrez really lets the side down ..  On saturday there were two want away players out there ..   him and Coutinho ..   I know which one I would rather have, their display and attitude were poles apart.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, fairbanksh said:

We could have had Woy whose not exactly tearing up trees at Palace

Shakey has been dealt a bum hand by the recruitment fiasco but

Tactically not looking good

Surely he should try a variety of setups flexibility?

Please drop Mahrez

Please include the new recruits in the plans/ team

Time is running out we are going backwards and the " he can turn it round" quotes

So depressing 

There's a caveat to my moaning which I need to remember, be careful what you wish for as the alternative could be worse or at best equally as unpleasant. I keep forgetting who we have in charge of bringing in new personnel, it's scary. You've just got to hope when he is replaced (it's a matter of time) a very capable manager who's exactly what we need to go forward applies for the job, smashes the interview and is appointed before our big wigs deliberate and go to what they know, a certain former employer.

• Like 1