Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Is Shakespeare the right man for the job?

8 hours ago, F1_AN said:

He doesn't come across as confident in his actions and i doubt he can grab this lot by the scruff of the neck to get a reaction. He's out of his depth and should never have got the full time position. 

Nobody in their right mind picks King as part of a 2 against a team with movement. 

Got to agree with this. Andy King was a star in Div 1 and the Championship. He's been a great servant to the club. BUT, King now looks way out of his depth in the Premiership, (as does a couple of others).

Shakespeare does not appear to know who to play where. The best example of this was playing Uljhoa and Slimani up front together in the League cup game.

As for having perspective because of our 'tough' start.  Liverpool are given far too much respect, their attack is brilliant but their defence is poor and will always give you chances. I also felt against Man U and Chelsea, that Shakespeare played for a draw when you might as well have a go (Man U like Liverpool, have a questionable defence).

Shakespeare seems a lovely bloke and I will forever be grateful to all those involved in winning us the premiership, however I have big doubts about him being the man to get us into Europe again (realistically the Europa league) and the owners have said that is what they want. 

Ok so I sort of accept that we've had a tough start and that we have been unlucky but now with Bournemouth, WBA and Swansea next up will most on here agree that he isn't up to the job should we not pick up at least a couple of wins here? 

I dread to think how boring and predictable we are going to look against average teams like ourselves. 

Don't know what to make of Shakey he just seems average imo. As caretaker last season he did the job and I commend him for that, but long term unless we want to be stuck in an relegation / lower midtable scrap then I think we could do better personally.

The fact the owners took an eternity to appoint him suggests to me he was our backup option.

He should have been more proactive in the summer transfer window with regards to central midfield, I am not saying he is totally accountable as Rudkin should take blame for some of his dealings.

He needs to get 11 points minimum in these next 5 games otherwise I can see the owners getting twitchy.

Next 4 games I will be judging him, more on the sentiment of last season and I like the bloke.

I can't say I have been overly impressed, Shakey can talk a good game.

You could say we have been unlucky with injuries in a few key areas.....I don't get how Iborra can start in the cup, and then not the league....if it was match fitness then how far behind is Iheanacho in terms of fitness, he didn't even feature in the cup!!

The recruitment isn't to much Shakeys fault it's just a mess/poor behind the scenes at the club....A Silva type situation can only ever happen at Leicester City.

I will say this, and Ranieri made the same mistake....Albrighton puts in crosses from everywhere....we take him off and put Slimani on, who craves these sort of deliveries....This substitution still baffles me to this day.

I know he steadied the ship after Ranieri, but that's where it should have ended for me.

A number 2, asking Appleton (who has managed at lower level only) and Stowell a GK coach, for advise in-game is just bound to fail.

Its the toughest league around and The Premiership isn't where you just start to learn your badges.

We need a proper manager who knows what he is doing, as I think the players have it too comfortable and are getting a bit complacent.

I hope he proves me wrong, I really do.

But I feel he knows he is a stop gap, until we get someone the Thais really want.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chico1958 said:

Where's Appletons input in any of this 

Perhaps we should have gone for a more experience ?

I know you haven't said it but other than at Oxford Appletons record as a manager is truly Shocking.  If we ever were thinking of getting rid of Craig Shakespeare I would not want Appleton managing our club.  It would be an even bigger step backwards.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, suffolk fox said:

I know you haven't said it but other than at Oxford Appletons record as a manager is truly Shocking.  If we ever were thinking of getting rid of Craig Shakespeare I would not want Appleton managing our club.  It would be an even bigger step backwards.

Agreed my friend........ and very true

• Like 1

He should never have taken the job - he could have been second in command here forever and 99% on here would have welcomed that - he stuck his head up and he will lose it...so much naivety yesterday and why buy all these players if none of them are good enough to play? Only Vardy, Ndidi Morgan Simpson should be guaranteed starts this season so far - I think Maguire will get there but Chilwell is nowhere near good enough as a defender, Kasper hasn't got a position correct this season yet and as for the rest, not good enough - Albrighton and Mahrez were passengers yesterday and King is pointless as a player, he never was really good enough over 90 mins and as for Okazaki, he loses the ball twice as much as he wins it but at least tries......we bought two new midfielders - someones head should have rolled for the Silva **** up and Iborra has to be better than King or WTF? Slimani offers us a different dimension up front and Fuchs should always get in ahead of Chilwell, always!!

Either Shakey sees something no one else and no stats support in the picking of some of these players and he will go because of it, or he will try to start with Gray, Iborra, Iheanacho, Slimani and at least go down fighting....I think the former sadly and prepare for King in the team for a long run...........at least until Xmas when Shakey sadly gets fired.

Edited by seenitall
spelling

1 hour ago, Weller in Tights said:

Got to agree with this. Andy King was a star in Div 1 and the Championship. He's been a great servant to the club. BUT, King now looks way out of his depth in the Premiership, (as does a couple of others).

Shakespeare does not appear to know who to play where. The best example of this was playing Uljhoa and Slimani up front together in the League cup game.

As for having perspective because of our 'tough' start.  Liverpool are given far too much respect, their attack is brilliant but their defence is poor and will always give you chances. I also felt against Man U and Chelsea, that Shakespeare played for a draw when you might as well have a go (Man U like Liverpool, have a questionable defence).

Shakespeare seems a lovely bloke and I will forever be grateful to all those involved in winning us the premiership, however I have big doubts about him being the man to get us into Europe again (realistically the Europa league) and the owners have said that is what they want. 

In Shakespeares defence if he had the option of Silva instead of King things might have been a lot different up to now.

I'm still behind Shakey, this shocking run of fixtures was always going to be tough and we've been in pretty much all of the games with a chance of getting something, yes the points return is behind where we'd want to be - but we need to see what happens the next few games, back to back wins are the name of the day however - with this fixture list we've got to get these next points without fail.

However I will be honest in that for the first time i am SLIGHTLY starting to wonder if we've got to have NP at the helm for this core of coaches and even this squad to work.

We need some perspective here!!

This shouldn't even be discussed at them moment, it's ridiculous.  We have played 4 of the top 6 already.  We matched Arsenal and should have got more out of the game, we contained Man Utd for large parts, batteled against Chelsea and could have got something at the end and just lost a thriller against Liverpool.  We haven't been torn apart and have looked marginally short against the top sides.  Why is that so hard for some people to take?

We have had upheval in Mahrez and Drinwater wanting to leave (Drinkwater subsequesntly getting his move) and a quality (supposedly) midfielder who is sitting in the stands because of a 14 second delay in his registration.  These are things beyond Shakespeares control!! 

People are questioning his tactics but I have only seen one glaring tactical mistake, and that was against Arsenal.  We have lost the central spine of our title winning season and that's where the problem unfortunately lies at the moment.

The fight is still there, as evident yesterday. 

Mahrez is out of form and needs to be dropped.

Chillwell is still learning his trade.

Had we not lost Drinkwater I think we would have won one of the close games we lost.  He has been a big loss as king (as much as i love him for his committment and loyalty) isn't quite good enough and Ibborra needs to get up to pace with the Premier league.

I refuse to get on N'did's back because you can see real talent in some aspects of his game and he (like Chilwell) is still learning his trade.

We need to see how we do against the Stokes, the WBA's the Bournemouth's, The Burnley's  before we get all hormonal, as these are the team we are currenlty competing against as we are not a top 6 side yet!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Even under Pearson we were harping on about being in games and never truly getting walked over.

We're treading over familiar ground - unfortunately.

Yes, I was thinking just the same this morning. No-one is spanking us (with the exception of Man Utd imo, who could have and should have scored more).

Given who we've played so far this term, this must be a good thing. The next few games will tell us what we want to know. Either that we'll finish happily upper mid table or we'll be in a relegation scrap.

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Didn't see much of those pressing tactics when for the majority of the season whilst Pearson was doing his best to get us relegated and keep us rock bottom. As for the great escape,  it was shit or bust time,  doubt he had much control over that it was so out of character. 

Do you really think Ranieri rode on the coat tails of the tactical pygmy Pearson?

Vardy had scored 5 goals that season under Pearson who had either played him wide left or behind the main striker. Remind me what Ranieri did and what happened. We'd been leaking goals left right and centre, so Ranieri dumped wingbacks DeLeat and Schlupp and replaced with Simpson (who hither to couldn't get a game under Pearson) and Fuchs. Yes, a conventional Italian esque back four which particularly helped to allow Marhez go forward. If it wasn't working, his substitutions were usually exceptional and could be made at any time, even half time, but you always had to wait until at least 60 minutes for one of NPS headscratching contributions to the game.

As for Ranieri's teams demise the next season its a different matter entirely and I like many have my theory. But, for that one season Ranieri was masterclass and had a good previous managerial record which bears scrutiny commensurate with a differing approach to hiring and firing in Italy. Pearson had no good record before and has been unceremoniously dumped out of his one effort since.

NP did a brilliant job for us here at Leicester and we shall be forever greatful  (particularly in getting rid of that shower left by the clown Ericsson). I even liked his pricklyness in interviews and certainly his no nonsense style, there was huge amounts to admire but....he was found wanting in the Premiership which is no disgrace as many have. Will he have learned from it...possibly. He would never in a million years have won the Premier league with us that year though, that needed Ranieri who was a genius that year.

You must have been blind then. Similar to now we were giving teams a hard time throughout the season but weren't quite getting results, but we certainly weren't whimpering out, we had also beaten Man U 5-3 by this point under Pearson playing those same tactics.  Admittedly we didn't put it all together consistently  until later in the season, but we did, and it was certainly that squad ethic of we're never beaten that Pearson instilled that kept us up. Yes it was shit or bust, but we certainly did it in style. 

I'll also remind you that this time last season we had already been thrashed by 4 or 5 goals against Liverpool and United and had a similar start and number of points. Didn't see people questioning Ranieri's 'experience' then, when the going to tough he had no idea how to this squad clicked.  We leaked goals under Ranieri's first few games, we never were under Pearson, games were always tight.

Yes I am a die hard Pearson supporter, that is because without him.and the way he built our club, we would be bumbling around in the championship or league one, like Wolves, Forest, Leeds etc... and we 100% would never have had that glorious season without him!

Edited by foxhateram
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Shakey is clearly a good coach and a good number 2. Like other posters I am surprised that he was offered the full time job, rather than being retained as assistant manager with anew,higher profile manager brought in. That could still happen.

Shakey has not had the best of luck with injuries ,particularly in midfield, and he has not been helped by the Silva fiasco. He has to address the weaknesses in MF with the available,fit personnel.

We have played 4 of what are expected to be the top 5 or 6 teams in our first six games. We always knew that it would be a tough start. Four points is a poor return and we could and should have at least 2 or 3 more. The next 3-5 games are key, if we do not get the wins and climb the table by early November Shakey's future will look decidedly shakey.

It is all very well saying we've had a tough start as though we're guaranteed to get a good return of points in the next set of games. We have some attacking threat but no organisation at the back and ultimately that will cost us more than we gain.

He's a good man but we employ him to get results and if they aren't better in the next five games then time is probably up.

2 hours ago, chris_lcfc_85 said:

At the end of the day it is a results business so he's under big pressure having lost 4 of our first 6 but let's have a little perspective, we've had a far from easy start and it's only small margins we've lost by. Sacking him now would be ridiculous. For me, our next 5 games will decide his fate 

Bournemouth away 

West brom home

Swansea away

Everton home 

Stoke away 

These games are huge, no more excuses of having a tough start etc, these will have a huge impact on our season! 

Not only have we had an almost unimaginably tough start against the top 4/6 sides, we've also caught Huddesfield riding the crest of a wave at their place. 

If we don't pick up at least 7 points in that list of games you've mentioned I think he'll be a gonna.. 7 points would mean 11 in total after 11 games which is still relegation form, perhaps slightly in our favour as we've got so many tough games out of the way.

What worries me is looking at that list 7 points isn't a give me, in fact my gut instinct is 6. 

Bournemouth away - 1

West brom home - 3

Swansea away -1

Everton home -1

Stoke away -0

The trouble is, having these tough games can ruin our confidence going into game we should win on paper. Shaky and the team are going to have to dig very deep mentally over these next 5 games....

• Like 1

Vardy and Okazaki were scaring the crap out of their defence with pressure. What does he do? Brings into the middle the least combative striker I can remember who didn't challenge a single Liverpool defender and left Vardy out wide and basically shut him out of the game . Bizarre