Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

18 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Ritchie De Laet has a championship and premiership medal with us and contributed more to our Championship promotion than King tbqh. 

In terms of on-pitch contribution I'd say that's probably fair.  In terms of overall contribution to the club though there aren't many above King.

• Like 1

On 14/08/2019 at 15:42, Tommo220 said:

Mine would be that Social Media is a parasite on society and will ultimately lead to the downfall of civilisation if it isn't canned completely or regulated to the max.

whether thats unpopular or just dystopian is another matter!

There's a documentary on Netflix about Cambridge Analytica and Facebook that suggests the dystopian part is likely to be true without strict regulation. Over the last decade they've influenced a scary number of elections around the globe. The thing is, Cambridge Analytica won't be the only company like this around - they're just the one that got caught. 

In psychology, there's various manuals that list symptoms and potential treatments for various conditions - including addictions. There's a movement to have social media addiction officially listed in these manuals, which would place it alongside things like drug and alcohol dependency.

On 16/08/2019 at 12:05, Finnegan said:

Ritchie De Laet has a championship and premiership medal with us and contributed more to our Championship promotion than King tbqh. 

RdL has a PL winners medal and a Championship promotion medal from the same season.

Bet not many others have managed that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Paddy. said:

Female commentators are just the worst.

I'm not suggesting that women shouldn't do the job, it's just that those that do are bloody awful.

I think Jackie Sparks did the Watford game yesterday on MOTD.She was awful considering she’s quite experienced and Isn’t usually that bad.Really shouting 

11 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

I think Jackie Sparks did the Watford game yesterday on MOTD.She was awful considering she’s quite experienced and Isn’t usually that bad.Really shouting 

Vicki Sparks isn't it?

She seemed to latch on to Mark Noble at the start of her commentary for some reason. He was back from injury, but she was talking like he was playing a landmark game for the club or something. 

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Vicki Sparks isn't it?

She seemed to latch on to Mark Noble at the start of her commentary for some reason. He was back from injury, but she was talking like he was playing a landmark game for the club or something. 

It was 15 years since he made his debut. 

• Like 2

On 24/08/2019 at 23:38, Paddy. said:

Female commentators are just the worst.

I'm not suggesting that women shouldn't do the job, it's just that those that do are bloody awful.

I think there are very few football commentators who are good anyway honestly. I think it's probably quite a difficult job - people are always going to disagree with what you are saying.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

I think there are very few football commentators who are good anyway honestly. I think it's probably quite a difficult job - people are always going to disagree with what you are saying.

If Commentators did their job right and just commentated on the facts and exactly what’s happening on the field of play, there shouldn’t really be anything to disagree with them on.

The reason some of them piss us off is when they start to impart their own ‘wisdom’ and opinions on the game. That’s not their job it’s the co-commentators job (usually an ex pro)

The reason Motty was so loved wasn’t because of his opinions but because he talked hard facts and accurate stats.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Can anyone actually name a current commentator or ex-pro co-commentator that actually contributes anything worthwhile to the football viewing experience?

Rob Hawthorne doesn’t actively wind me up so he’s the best there is

27 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Can anyone actually name a current commentator or ex-pro co-commentator that actually contributes anything worthwhile to the football viewing experience?

Personally I enjoy listening to Neville and Carragher. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fox92 said:

Personally I enjoy listening to Neville and Carragher. 

They're irritating at times, but they're pretty spot on with what they say a lot of the time. Neville in particular is first to pick faults with United when he feels he should.

But fan of Peter Crouch as well. He knows his shit and doesn't sound as boring or dull as the rest of them

3 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Bill Leslie who Sky are finally getting into their prem coverage is absolutely fantastic. Been doing EFL for years. Did the Deeney goal. Does excitement and drama without sounding as if he has a list of cliches written down. Best in England by a country mile and its criminal Sky keep Martin AND ITS LIVE AN-THON-Y MARTIAL Tyler ahead of him. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, ozleicester said:

I wouldnt know which sandwiches are good, or what the currently fashionable barnets are, if not for Stringer :)

On the other hand you'd hear interviews with the players on RL...

• Like 1