Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

On 12/08/2019 at 14:13, leicsmac said:

Can you possibly elaborate on that a little?

On 12/08/2019 at 15:31, Finnegan said:

What does this even mean? 

On 12/08/2019 at 16:08, AKCJ said:

Can you expand on this?

On 12/08/2019 at 16:22, Carl the Llama said:

Fourthed. Could either be a salient point or remarkably suitable use of this thread lol 

I was watching documentary on mental health on BBC a few weeks back and there was a psychologist who basically said that some are confusing mental health issues with natural difficult times and that humans are resiliant. 

It is human nature to feel anxious at times, suffer from stress etc. I don't in anyway doubt, mental health is a real problem that needs to be tackled but I do agree that a minority of people mistake a stressful period as a long term mental health problem.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, CollinsLCFC said:

What do you mean?  The places you mention are completly different, or is it the cultural difference?

Is it because they dont have Blackpool tower and a pier?

Don't be silly. Not fancying Dubai doesn't mean I like to get kiss me quick hats.

It's a mixture of things. Dubai I find vulgar. Morocco and Egypt I wouldn't feel entirely safe. India and it's disparity between rich and poor...and tummy aches. And heat. 

Similar south east Asia...the humidity, pollution, the north european paedos, the size of the cities. The jet lag.

Plus, being honest, being so foreign, is unsettling too. Doesn't mean I'm closed minded....just that I do have a slight discomfort in being a rich white twat walzing around clueless and confused

5 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Although I agree with a lot of what Greta Thunberg says / stands for, I find her incredibly smug and irritating. 

And yes, I do realise I am slating a 16 year old girl lol

When someone is as sure of their worldview as she is then yeah, can definitely see the smugness and can also see why that's irritating. And sadly, that often means that the message being carried gets lost.

But IMO (and I know that other people view this wildly differently to me) the makeup of the messenger shouldn't detract from the message.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Although I agree with a lot of what Greta Thunberg says / stands for, I find her incredibly smug and irritating. 

No, you’re slating a sixteen year old girl with special needs...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Fully understand the people that don't like her/her message and find her irritating, but It's the crap like this that I don't understand:-

You get the same people who speak to you like that when they find out you're a veggie. 'OHH I'VE JUST EATEN A BACON SANDWHICH, WHAT DO YOU MAKE OF THAT?!' Ok, Dave. Noted. 

I understand it perfectly: they want to reassert power over the person they're talking to (the kind of folks that do that are often the ones obsessed by power over people, after all), so they say something to highlight that "you can't tell me what to do! I'm going to be contrary just to show that you can't stop me from doing it and I'm more powerful than you are!"

It's just another example of power play.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I actually think its worse. 

Eating meat isn't fundamentally bad for the planet. Some meat production methods (read: most of them tbf) are but the ethical act of being an omnivore is both naturally human and environmentally neutral. 

Air flight is neither. 

Now, I'm about to fly to Croatia, clearly I'm not suggesting we should all stop flying immediately but there's a difference between doing something you're aware isn't ideal and actually revelling in it. 

It's just revelling in your own stupidity. Climate change deniers are just anti vaxxers and flat earthers choosing a different misguided hill to die making themselves look stupid on. 

Edit: oh and if you're a grown woman mocking and, essentially, bullying a sixteen year old little girl that's trying to have a positive impact on the planet, even if you do think she's misguided, you're an unbelievably stupid, petty, mean spirited, nasty cvnt. 

Well yes.  Mind you, I rather suspect Greta revels in the bullshit as it means people are listening.  Or she just doesn't give.

Its ok, a "journalist in oz described her in his column as "deeply disturbed"

Fvckin right wing climate denier attacking a child 

3 hours ago, Nalis said:

5 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Well yes.  Mind you, I rather suspect Greta revels in the bullshit as it means people are listening.  Or she just doesn't give.

Thing is though, the bullshit gives the powerful the excuse they need to not actually do much at all in terms of policy about the message because "hey, we might have a plurality of voters who think we don't need to do anything!"

Not that they mostly need an excuse to kick the environmental future of the planet down the road for other people to deal with, tbf.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I doubt this’ll be an unpopular opinion with people over a certain age! 

I resent that insinuation, you young whipper-snapper!

bloody hell, its just dawned on me that at the ripe old age of 30 i may be classed as being "over a certain age"! lol

2 hours ago, Tommo220 said:

I resent that insinuation, you young whipper-snapper!

bloody hell, its just dawned on me that at the ripe old age of 30 i may be classed as being "over a certain age"! lol

Lol well I was thinking the under 30’s wouldn’t agree with your view and the over 30’s would 😊👍🏼

4 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

I really struggle to understand the disdain so many grown adults openly express for a young girl trying to improve the planet she's inheriting from them.

As per above, it's all about power:

16 hours ago, leicsmac said:

they want to reassert power over the person they're talking to (the kind of folks that do that are often the ones obsessed by power over people, after all), so they say something to highlight that "you can't tell me what to do! I'm going to be contrary just to show that you can't stop me from doing it and I'm more powerful than you are!"

It's just another example of power play.

They have had power and privilege (varying in magnitude) all their lives, and now they feel threatened that a girl is taking that from them, so they lash out (either verbally or through action) in order to reassert their perceived power over her.

11 hours ago, Buce said:

I don't think she's that at all - she is trying to draw attention to what is undoubtedly the biggest threat to humanity's survival since the Cold War.

I would be immensly proud of her if she was my daughter.

Yeah of course, I would be in the same position too as would many others on this forum.

As I mentioned in my initial point, I agree with her stance (eg, I recycle, reduce plastic consumption, dont own a car, dont have kids) and obviously dont agree with what Aaron Banks and the lady in the screenshot said.

Fair point previously, I didnt actually realise she suffered from autism until after our last exchange, that would explain the way the message is conveyed sometimes.

The cult of Andy King is weird. 

He's a mid table championship midfielder with no real pace, creativity or strength.

He seems like a genuinely sound guy but he's been surplus to requirements since we got promoted and he's a long way from a "club legend."

I'll give you cult hero at a stretch for his contribution to the League One season and his longevity. 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

The cult of Andy King is weird. 

He's a mid table championship midfielder with no real pace, creativity or strength.

He seems like a genuinely sound guy but he's been surplus to requirements since we got promoted and he's a long way from a "club legend."

I'll give you cult hero at a stretch for his contribution to the League One season and his longevity. 

He’s a legend. I love the bloke but at the same time I think he’s not been good enough for us for 5 years at least.

379 appearances, 62 goals, League 1 winner, Championship winner and a Premier League winner. 

It is actually an unpopular opinion I’ll give you that 

• Like 2