Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

6 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

It’s genuinely insane how good they are. It’s the same as Messi and Ronaldo. It’s hard for many older people to acknowledge that they’re better than the heroes of their youth but statistically they’re all insanely good and the best at what they do, ever. I just find the Djokovic one weird as he still doesn’t seem to be talked about in quite the same way as the other two. I personally don’t like him very much and kinda don’t want him to beat their records but I’m pretty sure he will. If you add to that he has winning records against both of them I’d actually argue it’s not even a contest, I think he’ll retire comfortably the greatest of all time. Still don’t like him much mind.

I wonder if those three and Messi and Ronaldo are freaks and we’re just lucky to be witnessing them or, with the continued advances in training, diet, professionalism, etc whether these absolute beasts will become more common place. X 

Andy Murray could have dominated at least as much as Pete Sampras did, arguably more.

The poor bastard just happened to have been born around the same time as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

Edited by tom27111
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, tom27111 said:

Andy Murray could have dominated at least as much as Pete Sampras did, arguably more.

The poor bastard just happened to have been born around the same time as Federer, Nadal and Djokovic.

I think it's a credit to Murray that at times be went toe to toe with these guys. He's made multiple slam final, one of only 10 players in history I think to have made all 4 finals. He's won numerous titles, two Olympics, a tours finals, and almost single handedly a Davis Cup. This era of tennis has been dominated by those three, but you can argue Murray was a class below them, but a class above to rest.

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

It’s genuinely insane how good they are. It’s the same as Messi and Ronaldo. It’s hard for many older people to acknowledge that they’re better than the heroes of their youth but statistically they’re all insanely good and the best at what they do, ever. I just find the Djokovic one weird as he still doesn’t seem to be talked about in quite the same way as the other two. I personally don’t like him very much and kinda don’t want him to beat their records but I’m pretty sure he will. If you add to that he has winning records against both of them I’d actually argue it’s not even a contest, I think he’ll retire comfortably the greatest of all time. Still don’t like him much mind.

I wonder if those three and Messi and Ronaldo are freaks and we’re just lucky to be witnessing them or, with the continued advances in training, diet, professionalism, etc whether these absolute beasts will become more common place. X 

I think it comes in waves. We might get a dip and won't have players on that level for a few years and then eventually the next phenomenon will arrive. Like athletics, it's been a few years now since Bolt set that ridiculous time in the 100m, and I'm sure it'll stand for a little longer, but eventually I think someone will beat it and be the next super star. Sport needs it, athletics can't stop with Bolt or it loses viewers, and with tennis, eventually someone had to reach the levels of Federer and Co or there's no excitement, people will just hark back to a better time.

2 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Crazy that he’s ended up with the same amount of grand slam titles as Wawrinka.

Its an a bit of anomaly really isn't it. Murray was clearly a level above Wawrinka, but the Swiss had those 3 exceptional slams and took his chances. Fair play to him.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Just a thought on why Djokovic isn't spoken about in the same way, and it might be due to style. Federer is so graceful, Nadal is flamboyant, but Djokovic is a machine. At times its not always most exciting tennis, but its effective. 

Edited by Facecloth

2 hours ago, tom27111 said:

Just in response to the German girl, Rapha Honigstein retweeted this earlier 

I can't look at her without having tears in my eyes and it should never have been shown IMO.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if that image isn't used in some way or another to promote something or other to do with something or other and her family will get some royalties. If that happens, who's being exploited and by whom?

5 hours ago, Facecloth said:

I think there's far to many nuances to just be that straight down the line on who represents a certain country and I'm a little surprised you agree with The Bear tbh. 

If you're born to immigrant parents and have strong connection to those routes despite being born in another country why shouldn't you represent that country? With this thinking Cameron Norrie, born to Scottish and Welsh parents in South Africa and grew up from 3 in New Zealand has no right to represent the UK, but Emma Raducanu, who's just won the 2nd round, born in Canada to a Chinese mother and a Romanian father, but moved to the UK at 2, has the right. In what way is she British and Norrie not?

I think as it stands the rules are generally OK. If you are born in a country, have residence in the country or immediate family from that country you are eligible to represent it. There are obvious outliers who make you scratch your head how they've come to represent that nation but in reality they are a minority of sports people.

Allow me to clarify: I don't think I agree with the Bear on this one, but I do agree that there is at least a debate to be had, hence the "see what you mean".

Unlike the comment on Murray on which the topic is pretty much cut and dried and a matter of record rather than debate IMO.

12 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just because other countries might boo our anthem it doesn't mean we have to boo others. It just sounds shite. We should be better than that.

Equally I don't understand why people boo taking the knee. It takes a few seconds, it doesn't hurt anyone yet for some reason it makes people SO angry.

Fvcking snowflake woke doogooder lefty. :ph34r:

11 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The director should never have cut to an image of a child crying. 

Given how thick football supporters are in general, basing their entire vapid personalities around it (especially English football Twitter) they should have known better and exercised way better editorial judgement. 

Outside of the stadium reaction which was pretty dreadful, some of the stuff I've seen makes for grim reading. Imagine being her family. Fvck. 

More harmful and badly judged than the footage of Errikson.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just because other countries might boo our anthem it doesn't mean we have to boo others. It just sounds shite. We should be better than that.

Equally I don't understand why people boo taking the knee. It takes a few seconds, it doesn't hurt anyone yet for some reason it makes people SO angry.

44 minutes ago, ozleicester said:

Fvcking snowflake woke doogooder lefty. :ph34r:

You've described me perfectly there Oz lollol

• Haha 1

Part of me would have been interested to see what have happened if the super league went ahead, resulting in the six clubs being expelled from the English football pyramid. For far too long football clubs in this country have not been living within their means and without the added pressure on clubs feeling that they  have to spend to compete, we could have seen a reset which overall could have been healthy for English football. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Buce said:

Yep.

Over-priced plimsoles that have somehow acquired a cult following.

Yep. Crazy how many people you see walking round with ripped pairs. Grim. 

5 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

What makes you say that?  What do you think its purpose is?

You only ever really see (she/her) marked against female profiles, so I'm not sure. To make liberal women feel good about themselves?

Mine are he/him, but you already knew that, didn't you? Yes, so it was pointless me telling you.

17 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

You only ever really see (she/her) marked against female profiles, so I'm not sure. To make liberal women feel good about themselves?

Mine are he/him, but you already knew that, didn't you? Yes, so it was pointless me telling you.

The principal reason is to respect trans people's gender identities.  Trans people are a small minority so it makes sense that most of the people you see doing it aren't trans, most of the people you see doing anything aren't trans.

One good example of the practice in action is Games Done Quick:  They're a twitch/youtube channel which showcases speedruns of various games and hold charity events throughout the year for various good causes, for instance they have an even on right now (Summer Games Done Quick) in support of Medecins sans Frontieres.  On their streams they'll display the name of the runner and any people co-commentating along with their pronouns.  It's quite handy because speedrunning is an inclusive community with a few trans people and it's not always immediately obvious from a person's voice or appearance what their gender identity is, adding that reminder helps people in the comments to respect them.  Cisgender people indicating their pronouns is generally an act of solidarity, normalising the practice.  Of course there'll be attention seekers jumping on the 'bandwagon', but where they aren't causing harm just call it the right cause for the wrong reason.

• Like 2