Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bovril

Unpopular Opinions You Hold

2 hours ago, Dunge said:

I thought a lot of the England/Germany stuff was pantomime and nothing more than that. The cheer for the crying child was the worst part of it, although I’m still not entirely sure it was all for that given that (I think) Thomas Muller was being subbed at the same time.

As for taking the knee, I can understand why some have reservations about it but I haven’t heard any decent argument for booing. I’m kind of dreading yet also fascinated by what will happen when we’re all back at the KP. I expect it to happen; I intend to applaud politely. I have little gauge for what the reaction around me will be.

Some of the freaks laying in to that kid on social media make me pretty confident that's what people were cheering at in the ground. 

They absolutely don't represent the majority at all but that particular section of British society need to be chucked in to the sea. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Some of the freaks laying in to that kid on social media make me pretty confident that's what people were cheering at in the ground. 

They absolutely don't represent the majority at all but that particular section of British society need to be chucked in to the sea. 

Into a singularity would be better IMO.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RoboFox said:

The director should never have cut to an image of a child crying. 

Imagine being her family. Fvck. 

Awful and why did they show her? For dramatic, emotional effect. That child nor her parents had any say in what was shown and I guess no one does in a crowd situation but there should be some level of decency in what they show live.

Just now, The Bear said:

We're talking about the same host broadcaster who had no issues showing Eriksen's wife in bits or close-up of him having CPR. 

A kid crying is nothing compared to that. 

Still upsetting but on different levels, obviously.

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Just because other countries might boo our anthem it doesn't mean we have to boo others. It just sounds shite. We should be better than that.

Equally I don't understand why people boo taking the knee. It takes a few seconds, it doesn't hurt anyone yet for some reason it makes people SO angry.

And equally how do people get their knickers in such a twist over booing a song?

I guess national anthems occasionally add to the theatre of international football but what’s even the point of singing them

10 hours ago, leicsmac said:

WRT Murray there, I'm sorry but I have to agree that's irrational. By the rules of the ATP, when he steps on court he's representing the United Kingdom, not any of the home nations. Same as any athlete not playing football, rugby or a handful of other sports. There really shouldn't be an issue there.

Can see what you mean with the other two paragraphs, though.

I think there's far to many nuances to just be that straight down the line on who represents a certain country and I'm a little surprised you agree with The Bear tbh. 

If you're born to immigrant parents and have strong connection to those routes despite being born in another country why shouldn't you represent that country? With this thinking Cameron Norrie, born to Scottish and Welsh parents in South Africa and grew up from 3 in New Zealand has no right to represent the UK, but Emma Raducanu, who's just won the 2nd round, born in Canada to a Chinese mother and a Romanian father, but moved to the UK at 2, has the right. In what way is she British and Norrie not?

I think as it stands the rules are generally OK. If you are born in a country, have residence in the country or immediate family from that country you are eligible to represent it. There are obvious outliers who make you scratch your head how they've come to represent that nation but in reality they are a minority of sports people.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

For me it's all about the accent. Needs to be authentically British. It's why I could never really warm to Rusedski, Lennox Lewis and Kevin Pietersen.

So John Barrowman, I know he's not a sportsman but whatever, who was born in Scotland to Scots, somehow lost his Britishness when he lost his accent in America?

People who heavily criticise Southgate as England manager do so not based on the job that he's done in the past four/five years up until now. If an experienced/proven manager had done the job that Southgate has done then the reaction would be much different. 

4 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

So John Barrowman, I know he's not a sportsman but whatever, who was born in Scotland to Scots, somehow lost his Britishness when he lost his accent in America?

Of course he is whatever it says on his passport. I'm just talking about my own perception that culturally he's (probably) more American than British.

3 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Having a strong connection with your family history is great. Why should that mean you can play Sports for any of those countries when you might have never even set foot in there or have any current cultural connection to them? Norrie didn't spend the vast majority of her life in the UK, Raducanu did.

You can't just say oh I'm 1/16th Italian and I moved over there when I was 15, I'll go and play for them if they'll let me. It's your parents nationality or where you were born IMO. I recognise that her parents nationalities might be muddied by the same criteria but you can't keep going back in the family history forever. 

I also think if you want to play for your parents or nationality then you have to have lived in that country for a reasonable amount of time and become a citizen there. Meaning Konta could play for Australia or move to Hungary and become a citizen and play for them. Neither of her parents are from UK so she can't represent Britain even if she has citizenship. 

Similarly Norrie could represent Scotland or Wales too if she lived there for long enough. Raducanu the same for Canada, China, Romania or UK. 

That all might sound daft but its logical to me in my head! 

They don't go back forever thought do they. International football go back to grandparents, no further than that.

I also never said I agrees fully with the Konta situations, I did say there are a few outliers who make you scratch your head.

But on the whole i think the current rules are pretty much OK. You're making out you can track you family tree back to 500 years and start representing Germany or something, its not that bad. Like I said earlier, nation of birth, nations of close family and nation of residence (when a child not adult), I think that's fine.

Also you just said Norrie is a woman, so I think we'll stop there on discussing sports people nationalities when you can't get their sex right lol

2 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Djokovic is the greatest tennis player of all time. 

I think that's true. I think if we accept these three are the best ever, then you look at fact he's the youngest of the three and very likely to match their grand slam record already, and Will probably pass that record by the end of the year. He's won multiple slams on every surface, won against the other two on their favourite surfaces. He's been world number one for more weeks than anyone else.

That said, having the joy of watching Federer, Djokovic and Nadal over the years has been a treat. They won something like 59 grand slams in the last 15 to 20 years between them. Madness.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I think that's true. I think if we accept these three are the best ever, then you look at fact he's the youngest of the three and very likely to match their grand slam record already, and Will probably pass that record by the end of the year. He's won multiple slams on every surface, won against the other two on their favourite surfaces. He's been world number one for more weeks than anyone else.

That said, having the joy of watching Federer, Djokovic and Nadal over the years has been a treat. They won something like 59 grand slams in the last 15 to 20 years between them. Madness.

It’s genuinely insane how good they are. It’s the same as Messi and Ronaldo. It’s hard for many older people to acknowledge that they’re better than the heroes of their youth but statistically they’re all insanely good and the best at what they do, ever. I just find the Djokovic one weird as he still doesn’t seem to be talked about in quite the same way as the other two. I personally don’t like him very much and kinda don’t want him to beat their records but I’m pretty sure he will. If you add to that he has winning records against both of them I’d actually argue it’s not even a contest, I think he’ll retire comfortably the greatest of all time. Still don’t like him much mind.

I wonder if those three and Messi and Ronaldo are freaks and we’re just lucky to be witnessing them or, with the continued advances in training, diet, professionalism, etc whether these absolute beasts will become more common place. X