Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Tuna

FA Cup 2017-18

The rule change means it’s probably not a red, reason being you still have the chance to score from the pen. Only a red if the foul is outside the box, I think there has to be a genuine attempt to win the ball though and I’m sure Jones knew he wasn’t getting it. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Michael Oliver really is bollocks isn't he. 

1 minute ago, PhillippaT said:

The only reason I can see that not being a red is that Man Utd had another player run back in front of the goal by that point? :dunno:

Just now, foxes_rule1978 said:

Should be a red 100% unbelievable, oh well at least United need to come out now and cooldmake for a better game 

Just now, Finnegan said:

That rule change was that "accidental fouls" that deny a direct goal scoring opportunity in the box will be downgraded to a yellow card. 

I'm not sure how diving in to take someone's legs can be called accidental really. 

I assume Oliver's interpretation is that because Jones is trying to win the ball as opposed to simply just tripping him up then the foul is accidental.

I think that's a poor interpretation of the rule tbh. 

correct.

Oliver's made the right call there, for me. Always a yellow as Jones made a genuine attempt to get the ball. if he pulled his shirt back or 2-footed him down the back of the legs to stop him then yeah it's a red.

• Like 2

Just now, The Bear said:

You're 100% correct. 

It's amazing how many people don't know the rules now. Including Conte it seems. 

As I just said, it has to be an "accidental foul" to only be a yellow. If that's considered accidental then deliberate must literally just be rugby tackling a guy or kicking him in the face tbh. 

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

That rule change was that "accidental fouls" that deny a direct goal scoring opportunity in the box will be downgraded to a yellow card. 

I'm not sure how diving in to take someone's legs can be called accidental really. 

I assume Oliver's interpretation is that because Jones is trying to win the ball as opposed to simply just tripping him up then the foul is accidental.

I think that's a poor interpretation of the rule tbh. 

it looked like a genuine attempt to take out the player, nothing accidental about it

• Like 1

Guest ttfn

Great call by Oliver.

Hazard’s first two touches in that run for the penalty were absolutely perfect, brilliant play.

The low sun is really annoying.

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

correct.

Oliver's made the right call there, for me. Always a yellow as Jones made a genuine attempt to get the ball. if he pulled his shirt back or 2-footed him down the back of the legs to stop him then yeah it's a red.

I don't agree. I'm well aware of the rules, obviously you've just quoted me saying as such, and I'm sorry but surely that still has to be a red card. 

Accidental for me would be two players coming together and the defender tripping a forward whilst they're running for the ball not a diving slide tackle that completely takes the legs out of the striker as he's about to shoot. 

1 minute ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

So, if they were outside the box would that still be a yellow?

No if it was outside the box it would be a red card. The penalty makes it a yellow card. Double punishment etc. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I don't agree. I'm well aware of the rules, obviously you've just quoted me saying as such, and I'm sorry but surely that still has to be a red card. 

Accidental for me would be two players coming together and the defender tripping a forward whilst they're running for the ball not a diving slide tackle that completely takes the legs out of the striker as he's about to shoot. 

No if it was outside the box it would be a red card. The penalty makes it a yellow card. Double punishment etc. 

I was thinking this. Means a player just has to make it look vaguely like a genuine attempt for the ball even though he knows he wont get it. As Jones did.

I feel a bit funny about this law. One minute it makes sense, the next i dont like it

But i suppose this game would be dead without it. Would be 1 - 0 against 10 men

• Like 1

Just now, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

I was thinking this. Means a player just has to make it look vaguely like a genuine attempt for the ball even though he knows he wont get it. As Jones did.

I feel a bit funny about this law. One minute it makes sense, the next i dont like it

But i suppose this game would be dead without it. Would be 1 - 0 against 10 men

The idea is to not double punish a team, especially for something that's clumsy or unfortunate. The idea is still to punish someone that's essentially just cheating. 

Given Jones went off the ground and straight through Hazard as he's literally about toe shoot I'm not particularly sure why some in here are acting like Oliver got it spot on and these idiot pundits don't know the rules. 

• Like 1