Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cityfanlee23

Thoughts on Dyche?

Thoughts on dyche?  

434 members have voted

1. 1. What is your general thought on Dyche as an all round manager?

• Generally Positive (would welcome here)
    • Generally Negative (pick someone else)

2 hours ago, Izzy Muzzett said:

I’m warming to the idea of Dyche I must admit.

Assuming we don’t get a ‘big’ name then I’d definitely have him over the likes of Coleman, Pardew and especially Moyes.

Could do better, could do worse. 

Considering the other options mentioned and the likes of Tunchel and Ancelotti who will not come here I would take Dyche. Is there not an issue of a Premier League club can not poach another Prem manager during a season? Not sure

Just now, weller54 said:

Who would be? 

I think Puel would be decent.  What's happening at Southampton now show's what a good job he did there.  

An outside shout also would be Laurent Blanc.  Progressive manager with a decent record and a reputation for being a good leader.  He could be a good figurehead for the club for a few years.

Would cost a pretty penny but if the owners want a big name that isn't over the hill, making a move for Blanc ticks the boxes.

Just now, Realist Guy In The Room said:

I think Puel would be decent.  What's happening at Southampton now show's what a good job he did there.  

An outside shout also would be Laurent Blanc.  Progressive manager with a decent record and a reputation for being a good leader.  He could be a good figurehead for the club for a few years.

Would cost a pretty penny but if the owners want a big name that isn't over the hill, making a move for Blanc ticks the boxes.

You're forgetting that they would have to work under Rudkin!... 

Not an easy proposition for anyone. 

Burnley have drawn at home to Huddersfield and West Ham whilst they lost to West Brom, I think some are probably getting carried away with the results against the top 6 which are impressive but typically don't define a season. My chief concern aside from the fact he's worse than toe-stubbing is that he (generally) plays a deep, compact 442  which concedes high shot volumes and looks to break which we've all seen isn't as effective as it was for us. To evolve as a side we need to be more capable with the ball and Dyche isn't likely to deliver that over the long term.

17 minutes ago, Wookie said:

Burnley have drawn at home to Huddersfield and West Ham whilst they lost to West Brom, I think some are probably getting carried away with the results against the top 6 which are impressive but typically don't define a season. My chief concern aside from the fact he's worse than toe-stubbing is that he (generally) plays a deep, compact 442  which concedes high shot volumes and looks to break which we've all seen isn't as effective as it was for us. To evolve as a side we need to be more capable with the ball and Dyche isn't likely to deliver that over the long term.

He's done really well on a ridiculous budget with limited players.

Difficult to say if he could adapt his tactics,probably never know!

If it was a choice of Moyes Coleman Dyche. It would be the latter for me. I think we need to be realistic. Surely your Ancelotties, ‘probably spelt incorrectly” of this world would see us as being a bit risky. What would it do for their reputation if Rudkin fired them after 2 months for losing a game or 2.

57 minutes ago, Tiny earl said:

He's done really well on a ridiculous budget with limited players.

Difficult to say if he could adapt his tactics,probably never know!

We're completely different though.

Generally managers tend to stick to one style of play throughout their career, of course they can change and it's hard to know for sure but I don't think Dyche evolves us.

2 hours ago, Wookie said:

We're completely different though.

Generally managers tend to stick to one style of play throughout their career, of course they can change and it's hard to know for sure but I don't think Dyche evolves us.

Isn't the fact Burnley's (winning) goal against Everton was the culmination of 24 passes evidence that his tactics will evolve? If you consider the players he has to work with, he does a great job. I doubt any of their players would get into our starting line up, Mee might be the only one close. 

However, as I presume we have had no approaches by now, I presume the owners/Rudkin don't want him. I do find it extraordinary they sack Shakespeare without (seemingly) anyone lined up to replace him.

23 minutes ago, oxford blue said:

Isn't the fact Burnley's (winning) goal against Everton was the culmination of 24 passes evidence that his tactics will evolve?

One goal isn't particularly strong evidence, for example when we played Liverpool in 15/16 the passage of play that should have been a penalty wasn't really how we typically created chances that season so it's difficult to use isolated incidents as a yard stick. 

Ted Knutson's (ex-data analyst at Brentfrord and Midtjylland) written quite extensively about recruiting coaches and makes the point that managers tend to coach the same style https://statsbomb.com/2017/09/the-right-way-to-hire-football-coaches/

Just read what carragher had to say in the telegraph and he does make a good point about if dyche wants to progress his career, coming to us is about his best opportunity. He’s not going to get a top 6 club and most clubs don’t play to his style. It’s a case of see his career out  at Burnley or back himself at a bigger and more ambitious club but be prepared to be under pressure to perform.

Burnley can / have played good football this season though. When did Leicester last score a goal with 24 passes? We have spent millions and millions, won the league and still a bunch of Championship standard players can dink it around better than us when appropriate and throw their body's on the line when needed. 

That last sentence is why we are 18th and they are 7th......

I say given a choice between other names mentioned tonight, SD is a good solid option, will make us very very organised and most importantly allow us to sign lower grade players (£) and get greater performances from them.

That said he won't be chosen and we will go for a foreign name, continue our delusion of grandeur and in 8 months time.......

23 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Burnley can / have played good football this season though. When did Leicester last score a goal with 24 passes? We have spent millions and millions, won the league and still a bunch of Championship standard players can dink it around better than us when appropriate and throw their body's on the line when needed. 

I say given a choice between other names mentioned tonight, SD is a good solid option, will make us very very organised and most importantly allow us to sign lower grade players (£) and get greater performances from them.

That said he won't be chosen and we will go for a foreign name, continue our delusion of grandeur and in 8 months time.......

SD would take no nonsense from the players and he would get them playing like we know they can 

25 minutes ago, Dirkster the Fox said:

Great post, totally and utterly agree.

the last time we pinched a manager from a "smaller" club that was outperforming us in the same division....we got relegated to League One.

I'm not convinced in the karma of these sort of moves, but he's obviously a manager who's coming on well.

I would urge caution to those believing we could currently be a side who could string together 20+ passing moves - even during the title win season i can only remember a couple of games where we really went full-Barcelona - and that seemed more due to momentum and atmosphere than actual quality. If we implimented that style right now with this starting 11 and our confidence levels - i believe we will go down.

What we need right now is someone to steady the ship and keep us up - and build from there.

Big interview with him in the Guardian today: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/oct/20/sean-dyche-burnley-manchester-city-leicester

Naturally, he doesn't specifically express interest in the LCFC job or say he wants to leave Burnley, but he doesn't rule himself out and talks about moving on at some point.

I assume he might well be interested if approached. Feel we could do worse, but maybe could do better, too (Pellegrini?).

This is the relevant bit:

"If Dyche was disappointed the Palace opportunity came and went he does not let it show. Leicester, he claims, is a similar media assumption based on the fact that he hails from the east Midlands. “We’ve been here before,” he says. “It’s nice to be recognised for doing well but it doesn’t mean there is any truth in it.” Not, he is careful to stress, that he is looking for a way out, just aware of the way football works. “There are no guarantees in this job but there’s usually a moment of truth,” he says. “There will come a time when people want you out or someone at a bigger concern wants you in. Examples of managers staying for ages at clubs are rare. You’ve got Sir Alex and Arsène but they had already reached the top of the pile; why would anyone want to leave Manchester United and Arsenal? Who else is there? I can only think of Paul Tisdale at Exeter, though David Moyes might have done longer than 11 years at Everton but for special circumstances. “I’m not running away from Burnley, I’ve never said I want to move on, but I can’t say for definite I wouldn’t in the future, because that happens in life. People change jobs.”

Archived