Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

The media overreaction on Puel - we are still ruffling some feathers

Big enough for the appointment of a new manager to signal the death-knell of British coaching but small enough that we should just accept relegation with a whimper.

Quite a niche we've carved out in the world of sports journalism.

18 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Has there been a single positive remark from the media about this? Why do they never learn? They've written our team talks for the foreseable future, it's all we have left now is to make these prats look clueless. 

This is why a series s short term managers might work for us, it keeps us determined to prove people wrong.

I find your posts ever more confusing. All you've spoken about for the last week is how badly the club is being run. Now, it would seem, you applaud the idea of a series of short term managers.

The forum gets increasingly barmy...unless you're being ironic? I really don't know

Why should we be the ones to take a punt on the dross that is Curbishley, Pardew, Allardyce, Dowie etc? There's some great young English managers who are progressing, but they are employed in other job roles and many have little top flight experience, in which if they came here and flopped they would only get slated by the same faces in the media.

I wouldn't worry about the media. It's only because they still see us as a small club still that means we should look closer to home for ours managers like the Burnleys of this world. Like someone mentioned, in the last 20 years we've had 12 British managers and 4 foreign. 

Do Southampton get criticised for not employing a British manager since they sacked Adkins? When did Watford last have a British manager? You could name a few.. It's only because people want to bring us down after our amazing title season that they are critising this. If we hadn't won the league no one would care. 

And if Claude gets off to a good start it will soon be forgotten anyway. Good Luck Claude!! 

1 minute ago, Col city fan said:

I find your posts ever more confusing. All you've spoken about for the last week is how badly the club is being run. Now, it would seem, you applaud the idea of a series of short term managers.

The forum gets increasingly barmy...unless you're being ironic? I really don't know

The club is ran like a joke at the minute mate, however in the last year whenever we replace managers our performances and results improve dramatically. The media make us public enemy number one and it galvanizes the players and they go and settle scores.

I'd not be surprised to see Puel start well on the back of this but that doesn't mean I think this club is healthy right now. We need a strong leader who either has the influence to make sweeping changes top to bottom or our owners eventually realize that certain directors need hoying in the sea. Either way things need to change.

Thank fvck for that, I was worried the fans might not get behind Puel, but nothing fuels fan's passion like sticking it to media twats. Don't get me wrong there is a big issue with a lack of English managers, but we are hardly the problem. Watford's rotation policy of a different foreign manager every season was being lauded on the BBC, nobody said this when Southampton appointed Puel to replace Koeman, who replaced Potchettino, and nobody said it when they appointed Pelligrino. 

Maybe be you can appoint a foreign manager to replace a foreign manager but not an English one.

11 hours ago, Vacamion said:

The takes just keep getting hotter:

:rolleyes:

Seriously....Why would you go into International Cricket if you were English!!!!!!  You can't get ahead on the South African born players!!!!

24 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Thank fvck for that, I was worried the fans might not get behind Puel, but nothing fuels fan's passion like sticking it to media twats. Don't get me wrong there is a big issue with a lack of English managers, but we are hardly the problem. Watford's rotation policy of a different foreign manager every season was being lauded on the BBC, nobody said this when Southampton appointed Puel to replace Koeman, who replaced Potchettino, and nobody said it when they appointed Pelligrino. 

Maybe be you can appoint a foreign manager to replace a foreign manager but not an English one.

Oh don't worry. A couple of early losses and the fans will be anything but 'behind Puel'. You just need to see how this forum has reacted to Shakespeare not doing well.

11 hours ago, Vacamion said:

The takes just keep getting hotter:

:rolleyes:

Kevin Pietersen, Andrew Strauss,  Geraint Jones, Matt Prior, Ed Joyce, did I forget anyone? How many 'foreigners' played for England when he was captain? Bloody clown.

11 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Only at Leicester could we go from being the darlings of the football world, to become a laughing stock..in less than two seasons.

You couldn't make it up. We were in such an amazing position, loved by the media, by football at large..to really being disliked now by many, it would seem.

Yeah mostly for not giving Ranieri a good chance to rectify things after a bad half a season. A decision you were calling for around October time.

1 hour ago, Col city fan said:

Personally, I don't give a flying shite what the media think. But to think that it doesn't matter, is naive in the extreme.

We are now seen as a club that sacks its manager at the drop of a hat. Do you not think if Puel starts badly, the vultures will be circling almost immediately, especially because he has already failed at another Premiership club? He and we will now be afforded no time whatsoever to turn things around and the media will turn the screw a little tighter after each loss.

Anyone who considers that the media/pundits/fans don't have a bearing on how a manager and a club behaves, just look at how bonkers Pearson became under stress. Somehow, he had the strength to still motivate his squad to perform the great escape. I'm not sure Puel would have this motivating persona and, let's have it right, even some parts of this forum are wanting to dismiss him as a viable option already.

We can all give it the big un and state that the world of football can say what it wants and do what it wants....'we don't fookin care, we're Lester'... 

But what the media think, say and write DOES matter. When we won the league under Ranners, we were adored by all. Do you think the likes of Vardy wasn't encouraged by his own hype and was on the crest of a wave throughout? He must have been positively champing at the bit for the next game to come round. Ranieri did exactly the right stuff when he came out with 'dilly ding' and stating that avoiding relegation was the target for the club.

The point I was making is that the club, since winning the title, far from consolidating ourselves as a strong side that plays attractive football, has pretty much played into the hands of those who would sharpen their knives and stab us in the back. I believe the club hasn't been run at all we'll ever since. We have critics everywhere due to the sacking of two popular figures in the footballing world and even our own fans are pretty much constantly bickering about managers, formations, signings and of course, Jon Rudkin. So much so, we've even got plonkers making banners about him to hold up at football matches.

It all matters. We have gone from the epitome of how to run a football club to that of how not to run a football club in less than two seasons. 

Puel better start well. A few losses before Christmas and he could be the next fall guy.

I'm fine with Puel but this is spot on imo. His honeymoon is gonna be VERY short if we have a couple of boring losses early. 

You could counter balance this with how many British managers are abroad doing well. The only 1 I can think of is potter in sweden and although hes done very well it would be a massive gamble giving him the job. It's like if a job come available in la liga or bundesliga you can't see the owners going well actually that bloke at Burnley done well we should get him. I don't see dyche even getting the everton job. 

12 hours ago, Kitchandro said:

I'm not a fan of the appointment but which British coaches are they referring to?

I can only think of Dyche and he's very much a question mark.

Oh there won't be any names mentioned but don't let a silly thing like that get in the way of the hysteria.

Because of our success we're damned if we do and damned if we don't.

The management (high level) of the club's rise in the last 18 months has been pretty poor - but this is a fine appointment. 

He'll make us less shit at defending, cut out the long ball bullshit. He's got PL experience with a squad of similar ability. We'll finish top 10. 

The press and football pundits on BT Sports, BBC Match of the Day and Sky make me laugh so mush I almost piss myself.

So many long in the tooth ex footballers who think they know how to put things right,  so why are they not managers, because like most English managers they are so crap and out of date.

Take the 4 or 5 on Sky on a Saturday afternoon who try and out shout each other, Thompson heading for heart attack live on Sky.

And how many times do we see managers that have been sacked back on TV within a couple of weeks telling top half Prem managers how to run there teams.

My advice to you all, you've had your time, now go sit in the sun and Wright a book because it's all you have left after a shit life in football.

Leicester do enough for English football. In our regular first team we have five English starters in Simpson, Morgan, Maguire, Albrighton and Vardy. We also have Chilwell, Gray, James and even Hamer who make the bench. You'd struggle to find that in most PL clubs.

Who are these English managers we should be hiring? None of them have as good a CV as Puel with a French title and CL semi final place. Dyche has to be the best English manager and the rest of the names they come up with will be either failures or unproven.

7 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Leicester do enough for English football. In our regular first team we have five English starters in Simpson, Morgan, Maguire, Albrighton and Vardy. We also have Chilwell, Gray, James and even Hamer who make the bench. You'd struggle to find that in most PL clubs.

Who are these English managers we should be hiring? None of them have as good a CV as Puel with a French title and CL semi final place. Dyche has to be the best English manager and the rest of the names they come up with will be either failures or unproven.

Morgan is Jamaican :ph34r:

2 hours ago, LcFc_Smiv said:

Why should we be the ones to take a punt on the dross that is Curbishley, Pardew, Allardyce, Dowie etc? There's some great young English managers who are progressing, but they are employed in other job roles and many have little top flight experience, in which if they came here and flopped they would only get slated by the same faces in the media.

How can you say that Allardyce and Curbishley are dross? Allardyce always does a good job and Curbishley did well at Charlton. Not that those 2 were ever serious contenders -  I think Allardyce is out of the running at the minute for health reasons and Curbishley has been away too long.

34 minutes ago, Gerard said:

We have also brought in quite a few other English youngsters in the last few years. Some of them have left after not progressing but we have given them a chance.

Did Watford get all this "English Managers" nonsense when they appointed Silva,

Watford recent managers from Dyce to present

Sean Dyche
Gianfranco Zola
Giuseppe Sannino
Óscar García Junyent
Billy McKinlay
Slaviša Jokanović
Quique Sánchez Flores
Walter Mazzarri
Marco Silva

not alot of English talent there