Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sampson

Micky Adams on 5Live

Did a phenomenal job in that promotion season. Shouldn't be underestimated what an achievement that was in extremely difficult circumstances. Who knows what might have happened if we hadn't bounced straight back up.

1 minute ago, GaelicFox said:

Lives in Harborough still,  his wife runs the local netball club , proper locals now , lovely lovely people , he was so unlucky nice man and decent manager at the wrong time 

Ironically because he is so nice, that was exactly what was needed at that time. Anybody else would have walked away. He really did and does care about people. Too much to be a modern day manager for such an honourable man. If you see him, let him know how much he is loved. 

13 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

Did a phenomenal job in that promotion season. Shouldn't be underestimated what an achievement that was. Who knows what might have happened if we hadn't bounced straight back up.

+1

Shame about the next season though, his tactics were the main reason we went down. 

Tbf we did still have a superb attack that season.

Dickov and Ferdinand were both outstanding and one of the best strikeforces in the country that season and pretty sure they outscored any of MON' s strikeforces even. We just couldn't defend to save our lives and let in so many late equalisers/winners for the opposition.

18 minutes ago, bovril said:

+1

Shame about the next season though, his tactics were the main reason we went down. 

He helped us through our worst  period, in our history. "Administration" 

The whole club was in turmoil. Top players out of reach.

He was the last reason we went down. 

A bloody good manager, where fate wouldnt give him a fair ride over the years.

"Keep the faith"... 

Of the strong hsrdened terrace fans, I reckon they would find it difficult to

Name which manager they really loved...Ranieri...Adams

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

He helped us through our worst  period, in our history. "Administration" 

The whole club was in turmoil. Top players out of reach.

He was the last reason we went down. 

A bloody good manager, where fate wouldnt give him a fair ride over the years.

"Keep the faith"... 

I respect the guy massively but we were good enough to stay up and didnt, and I think a lot of that was down to him. I've seen him interviewed where he basically admits this.

8 minutes ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

That is very harsh.  We went up and had no money at all to strengthen.  Free signings and loans only.  

The fact we were in it until the last 3/4 games was an achievement in itself.

Tbf maybe you're right, it is very harsh and I shouldn't have said the 'main reason'. But, as nice a guy as he is, I think he was really out of his depth in the Premiership and I think we should have stayed up when you look at some of the players we had, both from the MON era and the newer signings, and when you consider the amount of games we blew. Also when you look at the teams around us that season. His tactics were terrible at times. 

Just my opinion though, and I do really like the guy and wish him nothing but the best. As others have said, he did guide us through extremely difficult times. 

41 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Tbf we did still have a superb attack that season.

Dickov and Ferdinand were both outstanding and one of the best strikeforces in the country that season and pretty sure they outscored any of MON' s strikeforces even. We just couldn't defend to save our lives and let in so many late equalisers/winners for the opposition.

There was that stat for the relegation season where (off top of my head) if all games had ended after 80 minutes we would have been comfortably top half or something along that line anyway. 

1 minute ago, moseeds said:

There was that stat for the relegation season where (off top of my head) if all games had ended after 80 minutes we would have been comfortably top half or something along that line anyway. 

Spurs home and away, Everton away, the dreaded Wolves 4-3 are just a few that come to mind.

23 minutes ago, bovril said:

Boro away is maybe the most depressed I've been after a Leicester game. 

I remember that, horrible. Can't remember the tactics that season as it was a long time ago.

what I do remember is every time he made a sub when we were winning/drawing towards the end would end up conceding late on

58 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Is he still in football management?

Apparently he declined the Port Vale job a few weeks' ago.

Heard he's often doing PR opportunities mostly now, alongside coaching locally.

2 hours ago, GaelicFox said:

Lives in Harborough still,  his wife runs the local netball club , proper locals now , lovely lovely people , he was so unlucky nice man and decent manager at the wrong time 

He still lives in Mkt Harborough. He manages the towns U18’s set up, my son plays for them. He works them hard, makes it fun but takes no crap. They are doing pretty well. He still works for the F.A. I think, and is often seen out having a beer or meal with his family. 

I like MA. He's clearly a genuinely nice guy. Did a great job getting us promoted with fvck all money, and we weren't far from survival in the PL, either.

Shame the squad was so elderly. I remember the transfer window before the PL season started it seemed like he had a bit of a scattergun approach to signings. Anyone remember Brooker? Paul, I think. I remember MA saying something like, "He's not fantastic, but he can do a job." I think we could have used some of the transfer/wages money getting a decent scout instead of collecting so many old duffers like Howey. Still, very good management under the circumstances.

Archived