Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

I think this is one of those threads that might turn up again to embarrass a few in the future.

Any manager needs time to impress his ideas and players on a club, much more so than players.

You complain that Puel is producing boring turgid football at the moment, well you lot are producing boring turgid threads and posts.  I think I'll leave you to it for a while til the place cheers up a bit.

Be careful what you wish for, West Brom probably thought they were an established team and wanted to upgrade on Pullis. 

Oops..

• Like 4

Ironically if you look at the match stats from yesterday any neutral fan would believe we were unlucky to only draw we had something like 68 percent possession, 11 corners, 21 attempts at goal 6 on target.  Tis not the managers fault, we are so poor at corners?  He is trying to change the way we play, and this does take time.  He must be given a full pre season and the chance to bring in the players who he believes can improve us.  I believe part of the problem at City is player power.  Morgan comes back into the side after  Dragovic has done nothing wrong, old guard having their way again.

10 minutes ago, suffolk fox said:

Ironically if you look at the match stats from yesterday any neutral fan would believe we were unlucky to only draw we had something like 68 percent possession, 11 corners, 21 attempts at goal 6 on target.  Tis not the managers fault, we are so poor at corners?  He is trying to change the way we play, and this does take time.  He must be given a full pre season and the chance to bring in the players who he believes can improve us.  I believe part of the problem at City is player power.  Morgan comes back into the side after  Dragovic has done nothing wrong, old guard having their way again.

But he sent out our only two target strikers out on loan! That’s the problem with corners and all those crosses lol 

I don't fully agree with the criticism related to Puel's system not suiting Vardy. Of course it's true, it doesn't, but his hand has been forced by the fact that every team in the league knows what we want to do and they know to play a deep back line with an alert keeper ready to come out. Not only that, but we won't have Vardy's main attributes for much longer. Either he'll be sold, or he'll simply get slower/leas sharp with age. So now is absolutely the time we need to figure out how to play without him.

The possession football we're playing isn't the pretty type at the moment but it's going to take time and probably a few new players who can actually implement this style of play. Our days of having 20% possession and nicking goals on the counter attack are gone. We're now in a transition period and it's going to be ugly sometimes until we get it right. 

• Like 1

Are the people saying about us have alot more possession the same people having a go at spurs fans for saying the same a season and a half ago? I don't care about keeping the ball and having better stats, I want to win games and enjoy watching my team again. If Puel is to be successful he needs to find his strongest 11 and get them attacking again, go at teams and make them change their style to match us not the other way around. Setting up defensively against Stoke and Bournemouth is how you get sacked. Like others have said 2 up top at home. 

• Like 1

I keep seeing it said that Southampton were right to sack Puel and (some) of their fans were all in favour of it.  They have not exactly been pulling up any trees with their new manager though have they.  Be careful what you wish for!

1 hour ago, dayday said:

I remember reading the Southampton forum Saintsweb when we appointed Puel, and have just gone back and re-read  the Puel for Leicester thread.

This is what I’ve picked out from some of the posters.

1. I feel for Vardy under Puels possession tactics

2. Boring defensive tactics at home

3. Fell out with certain players

4. After initial good start at Southampton he lost his way

5. He communication skills failed to inspire the players in the end 

6. Lost the dressing room in the end.

Now I’m not going to slate the guy because he derserves a proper chance at this job, but it’s worrying that some of the above is happening.

Had my first wobble as to his position yesterday and did some research also. Could history be repeating itself?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2017/jun/15/claude-puel-southampton-premier-league-expectations

A bang average manager who plays bang average football, fans who are still believing are just kidding themselves.

We've had bad runs under every manager but I never felt this bored under Pearson, Ranieri and Shakespeare, first half yesterday made me feel tired.

Opposition fans are never wrong, Southampton fans got it bang on and over the last month we've started to see their words come true.

His style of football doesn't suit us and probably will never suit us. I said the other week our run in will determine how good Puel is or not, all games are winnable apart from maybe Spurs away and so far we've looked like shit.

Continue like we are then I don't want him here beyond this season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Forgive me not taking a word you say seriously.

Opposition fans are never wrong in terms of opinions on a manager or player who then goes to another side in the same league.

This just reminds me of the Reading and Matt Mills situation, we believed we were getting one of the best defenders in the Championship for 5 mill, Reading fans said he isn't that good and look what happened...they were right.

• Like 1

It’s about time we had a settled first 11 to be honest. Puel’s had enough time to assess the squad in training and matches, to not have to keep chopping and changing every week, surely.

This would be my preferred XI week in week out: 

Schmeichel

Amartey, Dragovic, Maguire, Chilwell

Mahrez, Iborra, Ndidi, Diabate

Okazaki

Vardy

The only players that need rotating are Chilwell/Fuchs as that’s our weakest position imo... Both of them have strengths and weaknesses that we need to manage.

Edited by foxes21
  • Like 2

Not one to name drop but last December I was st a lunch with Matt Le Tissier. I asked him about Puel. He said his brand of football was boring. Which is tolerable if your winning but it became boring losing football. Sorry to say history seems to be repeating itself.

24 minutes ago, NorthfieldsFox said:

He is managing a seriously poor squad ! We have to give him two seasons and the. Judge him 

A seriously poor squad? Vardy, Mahrez, Maguire and Ndidi, come on, the style of football does not suit our players and if he keeps setting up in the same way I promise you he won’t be given two seasons to judge him! 

• Like 2

Hard one and believe he is playing with what we have, trying a few things and planning for next season though we have an FA cup 1/4 final to come. He has brought in 1 player just the one for peanuts and a player showing plenty of promise. Our 2 target strikers have gone out on loan and neither Leo or Slim look to have much of a future here. Plenty wanted them moved on and perhaps there was nobody about we fancied to bring in to replace them in Jan which knocks one of our attacking options especially with the crosses being put in the box. Has not been great for a few matches and time will tell but still believes he deserves the chance to at least have a pre season and move on some and bring in his own players. This summer will probably see a lot moving on and plenty coming in and cannot see any point of more upheavals. Also people need to look around and look who and what is available, we have been linked with and many on here have endorsed the likes of Pardew, Fat Sam, Moyes, Coleman, Woy. Get rid of another manager and who is next in line Hughes,Keane,Koeman and what sort of manager will come to a club that changes manager twice a season.

He's taken us from the bottom three to 8th in the league and our first FA Cup quarter finals since about 2012. Done a good job for me.

I'd like to see a bit more energy though. I don't mind keeping the ball but with a higher tempo.

• Like 2

Puel deserves a Summer to bring in his own players and teach them the Puel way in pre-season.

I cannot believe people are already considering replacing him.  We are actually well placed in the PL, safe, and in with a great chance of finally winning the FA Cup.

I thought he would do more in January, but, maybe the deals were not there for a reasonable price.

He was only appointed in October 2017 after all.

14 hours ago, KJT said:

Sean Dyche would have been just the right type of manager city should have got. We would have played the the type of direct attacking football we were used to (not hoofball). The type of football the Puel wants us to play isn't right for the Premiership.

How far do you think "Dyche ball" would take us? He's an underdog manager who has teams who are solid and organised who can take advantage of set pieces. His way will keep a team in the division but they won't progress further than that. It would be like getting Pulis in.