Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

Are the games really that boring!?

Granted for the first 60 minutes against both Stoke and Bournemouth the games were dull, but in both games we went for it thereafter, and in my opinion were very exciting. In both games we had tons of corners and lots of shots on goal. We didn't do much with the corners and not all of the shots were great, but I'd argue we made enough chances in both games to win them. I think it's a massive improvement over the end of Shakespeare's reign and the end of Ranieri's. We aren't just tamely giving up, we are actually going hell for leather at the end of these games.

If anything the frustration is that when we see those periods we all think we should be wiping the floor with the teams below us, and not waste an hour of the match doing nothing but passing it sideways.

If only we could play with the same speed and intensity we have shown when going behind at the start of the game.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

I tried to give Puel a good chance. He just isn’t producing the goods. We have some really good players in the squad and the rotation of players too frequently is causing more disruption in the squad creating negative attitudes. LCFC have some really positive youngsters and the rotation policy is ensuring they are held back and not progressing at the rate they should be. I’m all for Puel’s youngster policy but they must produce the goods and force their way into the team 

8 hours ago, chapero82 said:

I never wanted liked the appointment in the first place! But honestly I’ve never been so bored watching us as I have been with this guy in charge! And we have had some bad times! But at least they were exciting lol 

To be fair  I do think he's one step ahead of Gary Megson in terms of exciting football but the gap is closing!

5 hours ago, gurru991 said:

If we want to be a top club then we need a top manager  & Puel is not that. I see what Rafa is doing with a poor team at Newcastle & think what could he do with a decent team.

If you want boring football then Rafa is your man, Ruined Mazzari's Napoli and thankfully Sarri has revived them from his awful tenure.

5 hours ago, frany104 said:

I tried to give Puel a good chance. He just isn’t producing the goods. We have some really good players in the squad and the rotation of players too frequently is causing more disruption in the squad creating negative attitudes. LCFC have some really positive youngsters and the rotation policy is ensuring they are held back and not progressing at the rate they should be. I’m all for Puel’s youngster policy but they must produce the goods and force their way into the team 

Maybe like a player managers need to bed themselves in and learn what works.  He is not bad ...but we have lost edge.  He needs to understand this and solve it.  He has got rid of pkayers who cant help. We need to see how next season goes before we can ask if he is the guy who can take us fwd

• Like 1

The guy deserves a summer to sort his own recruitment. The money we've spent over the last two summers hasn't been great so he definitely should get that opportunity. Just hope results improve as otherwise he may not get that opportunity. Let's not forget though we're 8th, and in a cup quarter final so the remaining games will be interesting 

It’s so familiar how can we give him more time? 

What was said of why he was sacked by Southampton 

On the surface it looks a harsh decision, but what Claude Puel has really been sacked for is a poor end to the season and a lack of goals and ambition at St Mary's.

They only scored 17 goals in 19 home games and didn't score in six of their last seven home matches.

Despite that good league finish and the cup final, Puel never really convinced the fans and that was the biggest problem. They didn't really have confidence in him by the time the season ended

Just now, chris_lcfc_85 said:

The guy deserves a summer to sort his own recruitment. The money we've spent over the last two summers hasn't been great so he definitely should get that opportunity. Just hope results improve as otherwise he may not get that opportunity. Let's not forget though we're 8th, and in a cup quarter final so the remaining games will be interesting 

Deserves a summer of wasting money on players me may end up not needing again? 

Our biggest problem is that the players still rely on how we played 15/16 (and before for that matter). Unfortunately, most of the team is still here and they are not able to play a different way. Everything revolves around Vardy as the hitman but every team has figured this out and marks him out the game.

Defensively we still play deadwood like Morgan and Simpson who are not suited to Puels style. I am happy to give him a summer transfer and full pre-season to get the squad he wants, shift the likes of Simpson, Morgan, even losing Vardy to Everton isn't the end of the world (current rumor). Allows a rebuild of team players and strategies. It could be Iheanacho's chance to get confidence, maybe play him with Slimani.

The only loss in the summer will be Mahrez, as he is the only player that can make a miserable game into an OK result, or an OK game into a great result.

Sacking managers without a full pre-season is daft. I do think that right now, Puel doesn't know the best way to play this team and the players also don't get his philosophy. The latter cannot be blamed on the manager though.

Give him a full season to develop his style and judge him then.

• Like 1

I think Puel needs time, I don’t know what he was like in his first seasons at Lyon, Nice etc but in time he delivered success, that’s clear.

He is not a bad manager but right now he needs to realise the players we have at our disposal, need to play on the front foot u play 2 strikers at home you go for the initiative. Possession football is fine, but the way we are playing we might as well tell Vardy to go to the beach.

I can see Rudkin getting the bullet, if Puel doesn’t deliver us Europe either via the cup or A 7th place league finish.

Edited by Happy Fox

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I think Puel needs time, I don’t know what he was like in his first seasons at Lyon, Nice etc but in time he delivered success, that’s clear.

He is not a bad manager but right now he needs to realise the players we have at our disposal, need to play on the front foot u play 2 strikers at home you go for the initiative. Possession football is fine, but the way we are playing we might as well tell Vardy to go to the beach.

I can see Rudkin getting the bullet, if Puel doesn’t deliver us Europe either via the cup or A 7th place league finish.

Every cloud has a silver lining I guess.

14 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Our biggest problem is that the players still rely on how we played 15/16 (and before for that matter). Unfortunately, most of the team is still here and they are not able to play a different way. Everything revolves around Vardy as the hitman but every team has figured this out and marks him out the game.

Defensively we still play deadwood like Morgan and Simpson who are not suited to Puels style. I am happy to give him a summer transfer and full pre-season to get the squad he wants, shift the likes of Simpson, Morgan, even losing Vardy to Everton isn't the end of the world (current rumor). Allows a rebuild of team players and strategies. It could be Iheanacho's chance to get confidence, maybe play him with Slimani.

The only loss in the summer will be Mahrez, as he is the only player that can make a miserable game into an OK result, or an OK game into a great result.

Sacking managers without a full pre-season is daft. I do think that right now, Puel doesn't know the best way to play this team and the players also don't get his philosophy. The latter cannot be blamed on the manager though.

Give him a full season to develop his style and judge him then.

So why does he pick them then? That is an issue for me, his team selection. We seemed to be developing a nice style of football for a few games then he started to fiddle about and changed the personnel and the formations. You could understand a bit if he was trying to find a style and players to fit, but now he's just like a crap team doing the wall on Only Connect, pushing all the buttons without any real clue of what he thinks the answer is. Baffling.

We need to give him time but I agree about being concerned with the players he has been selecting. I have not idea why he selects James, he struggles all through the game and is no where near the run of play, how he is ahead of Iborra and Silva is baffling! Also he should have handled the Morgan situation better, dragovic was playing well and Morgan just gets his place back in the team.

Does he know his best team??

I remember reading the Southampton forum Saintsweb when we appointed Puel, and have just gone back and re-read  the Puel for Leicester thread.

This is what I’ve picked out from some of the posters.

1. I feel for Vardy under Puels possession tactics

2. Boring defensive tactics at home

3. Fell out with certain players

4. After initial good start at Southampton he lost his way

5. He communication skills failed to inspire the players in the end 

6. Lost the dressing room in the end.

Now I’m not going to slate the guy because he derserves a proper chance at this job, but it’s worrying that some of the above is happening.

This club has gone on a huge and very quick journey from League 1 to Premier League champions in less than a decade.  The foundations were put in place by Pearson and he got us playing a particular brand of football that was based on largely on pace and work rate of our players and quick passing and quick thinking. Over the years the squad was developed with that ethos and transfers were brought in to compliment that particular style. 

When Pearson left, Ranieri came in and inherited a squad that had, after several years in its making, reached its peak. The addition of Kante and Fuchs that summer were the missing pieces.

Time moves on though. Morgan isn't quite what he was, same with Fuchs.  Drinkwater and Kante have left and whilst still absolutely vital, Mahrez is wanting to leave and Vardy isn't getting any younger.  The point being that, the squad built by Pearson, nurtured by Ranieri has been and is still being broken up.  Shakespeare tried to carry on the predictable counter attacking style but the personnel just weren't there.

Now we have Puel and I place my trust in him. I also realise that we need to continue with the evolution of the squad and it is up to Puel to steer the team in a direction and style of his choosing.

At the moment we have a hybrid squad, some players excel at fast counter attacks, others are better suited for possession based football. We aren't one or the other at the moment. Dare I say we lack a bit of identity? 

The team is built around Vardy. And Vardy represents one of those "good to have" problems. His strength is in using his pace to run in behind the opposition defence. It works well when he is a lone striker, supported by pacey, attacking midfielders.  He doesn't have so much success when the play is slower with more time in the final third.

I wouldn't want to ever line up with one striker at home against a team lower than us but Vardy can't be dropped because his finishing is world class and he could get us a goal at any time.  

Eventually Vardy will slow and he will have a spell of not scoring which may be the key to properly changing the style. I see a future built around Nacho upfront with a Shinji style second striker supported by Gray or Diabate as a sort of front 3. Behind them, the likes of Ndidi, Iborra and Silva would be a strong midfield in my opinion. I think the back line could be a 3 or a 4. 

This summer should be interesting. I would expect the defence to be overhauled and that would give a good indication as to whether we'll set up as 3-5-2 or 4-3-3 next season. 

What we shouldn't be doing is sacking a manager half a season after taking on a squad that is in transition.

Back in the days of League 1 and the Championship, we had time to build the squad to prepare us for life in the Premier League. We now need to finish rebuilding this next generation squad that will see the next 3-5+ years, but given our recent relative success and the expectations of the supporters, Puel won't be given the time some of his predecessors were afforded by some fans.

Our owners want long term sustainable success. Setting that up isn't a five minute job. It takes years. Calling for the manager's head everytime we don't win a game we think we should win is counter productive. People need to look at the long game.

There will be ups and downs along the way. More than likely there will be more downs than ups in the short term, but in the end it'll be fine. I am confident of that. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dayday said:

I remember reading the Southampton forum Saintsweb when we appointed Puel, and have just gone back and re-read  the Puel for Leicester thread.

This is what I’ve picked out from some of the posters.

1. I feel for Vardy under Puels possession tactics

2. Boring defensive tactics at home

3. Fell out with certain players

4. After initial good start at Southampton he lost his way

5. He communication skills failed to inspire the players in the end 

6. Lost the dressing room in the end.

Now I’m not going to slate the guy because he derserves a proper chance at this job, but it’s worrying that some of the above is happening.

It could be argued this is a carbon copy.

There are no rumours or solid evidence of points 3 and 6, but every other point is spot on.

Maguire and Schmeichel throwing their arms in the air, looking clueless, wanting instruction and not knowing what to do was alarming yesterday - However that was deja vu from last season when Ranieri was losing it (Not Maguire, he wasn't here then, it was Morgan and Schmeichel doing it last season)

Edited by Matt