Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox92

Puel

23 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I Seen If totally different. I Seen us conceding,No Matter what we did.

Simpson,when He was fit,was upto pre-injuries,Our best backline Player.

A Change WAS IMO needed,because of Man.city,Not ourselves the change didnt Matter.

We were Not holding MC,we were being overran,in both flanks,and through the middle.

Man.city,we're Not only left with long range shots,Drago and Maguire,were Block shotting,

and intercepting In front of their own 6yard Box or within the  pbox itself..

Go watch the firsthalf Game again...

Sometimes there is no winning solution, but you still want to play a tactically optimal match. There was almost no chance we could get a sniff at goal without at least one MF who is strong with the ball at his feet, as we could not beat the press without such a player. We are in a difficult situation against elite pressing sides, as while we need Ndidi as a screen in front of our backline, but he doesn't have the ability to play as a pivot against a press as good as MC's. Perhaps we needed to bring on Iborra in a deep-lying playmaker type role where he could take the ball from Wilf and look to get the ball forward, which might've worked bc he doesn't tend to make the long runs Silva does, so he might've been able to get the ball fwd while still maintaining the defensive shape Puel wanted. The problem there though is he is too slow to run a fast counter, and speed is probably the most efficient way to beat the press, which Silva used effectively in the 1H along with some basic 1-2's to Diabate to get the ball into MC's half and initiate scoring opportunities. 

You also have to take into account what it does to a team's mentality when they suddenly have their ability to attack excised. The frustration is damaging. We saw that yesterday. The defense did not have anywhere to go with the ball in the 2H that had much hope of a good outcome. This is the second time Puel has ignored our defensive MF's lack of on-ball ability against a quality press, and it has again f'd us. When you make a decision that leaves your team defending almost exclusively, you're f'd. 

Playing those personnel, we were better off letting Kasper hoof it fwd for us. Which I hate personally, but there was no realistic alternative, as we were incapable of building from the back with our personnel.

What I find most troubling is there is almost no discussion of what actually happened yesterday from our squad. I hear Puel discuss the match and he doesn't seem to understand the problem. Which is insane bc Puel knows more about football than all of us put together. But he seems blind to the failings of our MFs with the ball at their feet. His halftime move might've been correct with different personnel, but not with our MFs. Disappointing to think this is a mistake that will continue to be made. You have to be a threat to get the ball forward against a team like MC or else you allow them to simply unleash everyone without worrying about defending. Which is what we saw happen yesterday.

3 minutes ago, vanity said:

Sometimes there is no winning solution, but you still want to play a tactically optimal match. There was almost no chance we could get a sniff at goal without at least one MF who is strong with the ball at his feet, as we could not beat the press without such a player. We are in a difficult situation against elite pressing sides, as while we need Ndidi as a screen in front of our backline, but he doesn't have the ability to play as a pivot against a press as good as MC's. Perhaps we needed to bring on Iborra in a deep-lying playmaker type role where he could take the ball from Wilf and look to get the ball forward, which might've worked bc he doesn't tend to make the long runs Silva does, so he might've been able to get the ball fwd while still maintaining the defensive shape Puel wanted. The problem there though is he is too slow to run a fast counter, and speed is probably the most efficient way to beat the press, which Silva used effectively in the 1H along with some basic 1-2's to Diabate to get the ball into MC's half and initiate scoring opportunities. 

You also have to take into account what it does to a team's mentality when they suddenly have their ability to attack excised. The frustration is damaging. We saw that yesterday. The defense did not have anywhere to go with the ball in the 2H that had much hope of a good outcome. This is the second time Puel has ignored our defensive MF's lack of on-ball ability against a quality press, and it has again f'd us. When you make a decision that leaves your team defending almost exclusively, you're f'd. 

Playing those personnel, we were better off letting Kasper hoof it fwd for us. Which I hate personally, but there was no realistic alternative, as we were incapable of building from the back with our personnel.

What I find most troubling is there is almost no discussion of what actually happened yesterday from our squad. I hear Puel discuss the match and he doesn't seem to understand the problem. Which is insane bc Puel knows more about football than all of us put together. But he seems blind to the failings of our MFs with the ball at their feet. His halftime move might've been correct with different personnel, but not with our MFs. Disappointing to think this is a mistake that will continue to be made. You have to be a threat to get the ball forward against a team like MC or else you allow them to simply unleash everyone without worrying about defending. Which is what we saw happen yesterday.

Your over analysing..we Just played the best team at the Moment in Europe.

We are in a rebuilding Phase,Puel has  more Importantly agendas,aS Your own Point

scoring. Let it Go..

34 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

I do feel for any fans who have started supporting us in the past 6-7 years as the history of our club shows we are a bit of a yoyo club.

We all have been spoilt in the past few years be it the rise from League 1, The Great Escape or The 5000-1 Story - I for one never ever thought I would see anything like in my lifetime and it really has been a dream However, it is clear that the club need to start on creating an identity and hitting the ball on the break to Vardy cannot continue to be the only route to success.

Sadly we need to start evolving and the likes of Ulloa, King as well as Drinky and Kante moving on means we need to progress. Riyad and Kasper will be next in the summer and hence we will need to develop a different way of playing. Vards is not getting any younger although he is real quality but we need to start building a formula throughout the club and through the U23's especially if we are to match the owners aspirations. There is very little between 16 sides and it is the quality of Riyad and Vardy which give us something extra to keep us out of the battle at the bottom end - our recruitment remains patchy and we still lack a quality creative midfielder and No.10 whilst if we were to lose Riyad, N'didi, Kasper or Vards then we become even more standard Prem.

Whether CP is the man I am not sure but continuous change will not help anyone - it is clear he is trying to evolve us but is limited by the quality of certain players - not convinced by Chilwell, Gray, Simpson, Iborra, Silva etc so developing a new way of playing without him having a proper pre-season and window to change things it is difficult to tell if we are standing still, moving forwards or backwards.

I am half expecting to do a typical LCFC and become a relegation candidate - cant help it because over the last 40 years that is what usually follows other than the new owners have a clear aspiration to be successful but hopefully we can move forward and not backwards.

I think the rest of the season and preseason will be pivotal for the next 3-4 years as we have quite a lot of rebuilding and hence CP moving a few dead wood or players on that will not be part of his plans - he has and is giving a few youngsters the chance to show their talent although I am not Gray or Chilwell are actually good enough.

One thing I would not be doing however is changing the manager than less he clearly does not have a vision and know how to execute it but that will only really be clear internally but he needs scope on youth and recruitment to stamp his blueprint on the club!! - I hope he is the right man but not 100% convinced yet!

Def have to keep Puel. It is very easy for me to see the improvement across the squad. We are talented enough to be a top-6 side, but we lack consistency, which will come I believe as we add new MFs who are more to Claude's standard, players who can defend but also are comfortable with the ball at their feet. Shakey began the process of removing one-dimensional players from our squad, and began bringing in players with more skills. Iheanacho is evolving into an alternative to Vardy, and if we replace Mahrez with a lesser attacking player but one who is a quality defender who gets back regularly, it will allow us to field a more balanced, less predictable attack.

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Your over analysing..we Just played the best team at the Moment in Europe.

We are in a rebuilding Phase,Puel has  more Importantly agendas,aS Your own Point

scoring. Let it Go..

That's just an excuse so we can pretend Puel didn't F up tactically. Of course he did, we all saw it. 

Myanalysis is basic: we need a MF on the pitch who is good with the ball at his feet. I may use too many words, but that is all I'm saying. When he pulled Silva for Simpson, we were instantly f'd.

Sure, MC are really good, and we'd likely have lost no matter what we did. But this is the 2nd time Puel made the precise same mistake of deciding not to play either Iborra or Silva against an elite pressing team. It needs to be the last.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, vanity said:

That's just an excuse so we can pretend Puel didn't F up tactically. Of course he did, we all saw it. 

Myanalysis is basic: we need a MF on the pitch who is good with the ball at his feet. I may use too many words, but that is all I'm saying. When he pulled Silva for Simpson, we were instantly f'd.

Sure, MC are really good, and we'd likely have lost no matter what we did. But this is the 2nd time Puel made the precise same mistake of deciding not to play either Iborra or Silva against an elite pressing team. It needs to be the last.

No He didnt...ITS only Your perception....

7 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Match of the Day say he changed to 4 at the back at half time. Is this correct ?..as radio commentary said it happened during the first half.

We definitely changed long before half time, before our goal I think. Albrighton went right back and Chilwell left wing

24 minutes ago, Guest said:

We definitely changed long before half time, before our goal I think. Albrighton went right back and Chilwell left wing

Therefore I feel the change at half time was justified even though we went in level. When we went to 4 we had too many players out of position and bringing on Simpson remedied that.

16 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Therefore I feel the change at half time was justified even though we went in level. When we went to 4 we had too many players out of position and bringing on Simpson remedied that.

Remedied it to the extent of being overrun, letting in 4 more goals, and having no forward-going threat at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, fox in the sox said:

Bringing on Simpson was not the problem. That was taking off an experienced central midfielder and moving someone there who is definitely not a central midfielder, let alone an experienced one. 

15 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Bringing on Simpson was not the problem. That was taking off an experienced central midfielder and moving someone there who is definitely not a central midfielder, let alone an experienced one. 

Who? We had Ndidi and James in midfield. Albrighton and Chilwell on the wings, with Diabate next to/behind Vardy.

We were struggling to contain them no matter who or what system we played. They're going for the title and giving it everything, Plus they have a very fluid system with plenty of movement. That makes it extremely difficult to pin them down. There movement off the Ball is so good and they don't worry too much about defense, knowing that they will unlock you eventually.

The first half was ok because we were containing them further up the field. when we went to a four we invited them to the edge of the Box and that's where we struggled. They were able to move more players forward from defense into midfield and attack.

Had we have stayed the same 2nd half I doubt it would have made much of a difference. Puel made a choice that's what he's there for. Sometimes they work sometimes they don't., but at least he was proactive looking for a solution. 

One thing I will say for him is that some of football interplay in the first half was absolutely sublime. Especially from Silva NDiddi and Diabate. Long may it continue. I just hope we learned something from the game for the future.

• Like 4

Seems like no shortage of posters ,self included , willing to give the Puel Project a go to bring the changes to personnel and playing staff that he and maybe his superiors at the club require. You just have to hope that the players buy in too. Once Claudio started changes to our playing style his reservoir of good will evaporated very quickly and we know where that went 

• Like 1

We need a modern day Keith Harris to let Puel sit on his knee with his hand up his jacksie and whisper in his ear for the pre/post match interviews. I think that would give him far more charisma and improve his street cred no end !

Edited by Tringfox

4 hours ago, surrifox said:

Seems like no shortage of posters ,self included , willing to give the Puel Project a go to bring the changes to personnel and playing staff that he and maybe his superiors at the club require. You just have to hope that the players buy in too. Once Claudio started changes to our playing style his reservoir of good will evaporated very quickly and we know where that went 

I think it’s because when we’ve been good under Puel we’ve been very good with a style that’s easy on the eye. We are super inconsistent but we’ve seen a glimpse of how the team of the future could play, and it’s an exciting vision. 

• Like 1

On 11/02/2018 at 18:03, vanity said:

Def have to keep Puel. It is very easy for me to see the improvement across the squad. We are talented enough to be a top-6 side, but we lack consistency, which will come I believe as we add new MFs who are more to Claude's standard, players who can defend but also are comfortable with the ball at their feet. Shakey began the process of removing one-dimensional players from our squad, and began bringing in players with more skills. Iheanacho is evolving into an alternative to Vardy, and if we replace Mahrez with a lesser attacking player but one who is a quality defender who gets back regularly, it will allow us to field a more balanced, less predictable attack.

I really do wonder if Mendy's got a bigger part to play than people realise. Puel's captain at Nice and he was in the Leon Britton mould over a Kante. People were deceived by the fact Mendy is of a similar stature when his game is about recycling play. I actually think he'll feature for us next season.

On 11/02/2018 at 18:09, vanity said:

What's the other game you're referring to? Liverpool? Which Silva wasn't eligible for in fairness.

On 11/02/2018 at 19:33, fox in the sox said:

Match of the Day say he changed to 4 at the back at half time. Is this correct ?..as radio commentary said it happened during the first half.

It is false. Just plain wrong. Sky said it and were wrong, BBC said it and were wrong, most on here said it and were wrong. We changed to a four with the score at 1-0. The personnel was the issue above the formation for me.

On 11/02/2018 at 20:11, fox in the sox said:

It didn't remedy it though as Albrighton went into midfield.

Edited by Dan LCFC

I'm a little surprised to see how quickly some people are ready to write Puel off. He's a coach, not a magician.

For all the admiration I have for the guy and his past achievements, I can still safely make the prediction that he will make mistakes. He will put faith in some players who may ultimately not fully deserve it, and he will reach some decisions that may look puzzling to most of us. He is human, and unless he has a crystal ball some of his choices will fail to pay off. But that's part of his job description: he has to make these choices, and that way put his ass on the line. From the comfort of our sofa, we can fantasize all we want about how things might have been different with such and such player on the pitch, or with 5 defenders instead of 4, but these are conjectures. Puel has to deal with reality, and that includes a set of variables we have no real knowledge about.

Among these variables is the Mahrez fracas. Given that part of the team's resurgence under Puel hinged on Mahrez finding renewed commitment to the play, the transfer window circus has undoubtedly created shockwaves whose effects may take a while to be controlled. For the sake of the team, I hope Mahrez can once again focus and be his brilliant self before he finds a new club during the Summer transfer period, but the Manager can only do so much. Right now, Puel is attempting to come up with contingency plans. And while I have confidence that he'll navigate the team out of these treacherous waters, it may take a few more match days. Frankly, I'm happy not to be in Claude's shoes right now!

• Like 1