Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

Leicester v Fleetwood - FA Cup Replay Pre-match Thread

1 hour ago, SuperMike said:

WOW! That video! What a team! And what a crowd (I was there in the Spion Kop)!!!

Mind you - that pitch, eh!!!!?

team mates squaring off, defence all over the place, Lenny Glover, Steve Whitworth, Frank obviously very hung over. Total quagmire. Everybody knackered after an hour. Christ we've come a long way. I can smell the loos from here.

Wander if Kelly is still around? He deserved a medal for their cup run that year

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Crinklyfox said:

The game is about glory and this is Fleetwood's chance for it.  I expect a performance out of them, it doesn't matter that it's at our place, their motivation should still be high.  We take this one lightly at our peril.  I remember many years ago we were drawn at home against Leatherhead and were 2-0 down 15 minutes into the second half before Keith Weller kindly got a hat-trick.  We were a good Div.1 team at that time and Leatherhead were non-League but they were up for it.

Your memory is playing you false, Crinkly - Weller didn’t score a hattrick. It was Sammels, Earle and Weller iirc. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Redouane said:

I didn't say throw away the FA cup, I'm just saying that some here are suggesting that we go full strength. Yeah, we should definitely be more capable of winning, but we shouldn't start Vardy, Albrighton, Okazaki, Mahrez, Ndidi, Maguire, Morgan, ect. 

Sorry, I was more implying that we shouldn't prioritise the league, as you suggested. Neither should be a priority in my eyes. You set up with a team capable of beating the opposition in front of you.

We certainly shouldn't be using the players you have listed above tonight. Peterborough may be an opportunity to use Morgan if he's back from injury. If we make it to the latter stages, the stronger the opposition, the stronger our team we put out.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Buce said:

Your memory is playing you false, Crinkly - Weller didn’t score a hattrick. It was Sammels, Earle and Weller iirc. 

You're spot on Buce, I blame anno domini.  At the time Weller's goal was the one that stuck in my mind.  I stand corrugated.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Crinklyfox said:

You're spot on Buce, I blame anno domini.  At the time Weller's goal was the one that stuck in my mind.  I stand corrugated.

dick in hand, before the corrugated...out of there asap. Still got the sticker album from that year somewhere. Don't remember Sammels or our center backs at all...total blank. Either dementia or they were shyte...(or both)

33 minutes ago, Ecdysiast said:

dick in hand, before the corrugated...out of there asap. Still got the sticker album from that year somewhere. Don't remember Sammels or our center backs at all...total blank. Either dementia or they were shyte...(or both)

Cross and Munro.

Munro cleared off the line at 2 - 0, iirc.

Graham Cross with John Sjoberg formed one of our best centre back partnerships in my lifetime. I have a vague memory that he also played cricket for Leicestershire.

Edited by Buce
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Buce said:

Cross and Munro.

Munro cleared off the line at 2 - 0, iirc.

Graham Cross with John Sjoberg formed one of our best centre back partnerships in my lifetime. I have a vague memory that he also played cricket for Leicestershire.

Sorry Buce, Sjoberg rings a bell the other two not so much. No disrespect to players or your good self... Just before my time i suspect.  Balderstone played cricket and football too didn't he?

7 minutes ago, Ecdysiast said:

Sorry Buce, Sjoberg rings a bell the other two not so much. No disrespect to players or your good self... Just before my time i suspect.  Balderstone played cricket and football too didn't he?

I believe he did, yeah.

I just checked on Cross and he is City's record appearance holder, making an incredible 599 appearances! I reckon that qualifies him as a legend.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Cross

Edited by Buce
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very different for the players from back then

John Sjoberg was a really nice guy and one of the first members of Forest Hill Golf Club in the 90s ,printing business,not a huge man but if you are ten years old he looks massive.Died a few years ago sadly

Graham Cross plays a lot of golf around the county but football is not a talking point ever..Still a fit active man.Ypu have to remember these lads were making about 50 quid a week in the sixties and had to move on to other walks of life. Respect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dynamark said:

Very different for the players from back then

John Sjoberg was a really nice guy and one of the first members of Forest Hill Golf Club in the 90s ,printing business,not a huge man but if you are ten years old he looks massive.Died a few years ago sadly

Graham Cross plays a lot of golf around the county but football is not a talking point ever..Still a fit active man.Ypu have to remember these lads were making about 50 quid a week in the sixties and had to move on to other walks of life. Respect.

Indeed total respect.  Glad to know they had fulfilling "after" lives. thanks to them for their service and to you for the update. They just didn't stick in the memory of a naive young kid who worshiped, Weller, Worthington, Wallington, Whitworth, Earle, Glover, Birch, Rofe etc. Not glamour players, too stupid to notice...

Respect

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

We'd qualify for the Europa league if we won the FA cup.

If we won the FA cup I'd have seen us win everything we're ever likely to win. When I was a kid I was resigned to never seeing us win anything. Going to Wembley, seeing us lift that cup means more to me than getting knocked out in the quarter finals of a European Competition that nobody cares about.

Well said Webster !!  ...    was wondering how best to reply to Reds drivel without sounding too condescending or telling him to stop talking bolox ...     “cool if we won !!” ...    I’d be over the fookin moon !! ...    he’s only been supporting us a year or two so probably doesn’t appreciate our near misses and that ‘one that got away’ feeling ...   anyway, don’t need to now !   :)

• Like 1