Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Buce

What are your views on abortion?

Since the subject has been raised in the Trump thread, I thought it might be interesting to deal with it in a dedicated thread.

Questions you might consider: Should it be legal? Or only under certain circumstances (ie when pregnancy has occured as a result of rape, or incest, or if the child will be born disabled)? If legal, at what stage of development should be the cut off point?

If a baby is born prematurely  at 24 weeks doctors can keep it alive, therefore it is a viable human being. Imo abortions shouldn't be carried out after that date unless there is a very good reason like incest, rape or a severe disability/life limiting condition.

I've said this before and had no good reason to change my viewpoint:

All other situations where bodily autonomy might be compromised to save a life and responsibility may or may not be a factor, such as giving blood or an organ when someone is going to die if you don't, are subject to freedom of choice. The choice is always there to say no. Yes, it's morally heartless, but the choice exists.

To view abortion as somehow different to these situations because reasons is a double standard and hypocritical, and given that only women face this particular choice directly, has some pretty bad connotations.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Buce said:

Since the subject has been raised in the Trump thread, I thought it might be interesting to deal with it in a dedicated thread.

Questions you might consider: Should it be legal? Or only under certain circumstances (ie when pregnancy has occured as a result of rape, or incest, or if the child will be born disabled)? If legal, at what stage of development should be the cut off point?

We have a friend that works in the termination clinic at the Royal and general hospital in Leicester. I’ve no religious views but I do think that the service is essential. 

Some women are not capable of looking after children due to medical reasons and obviously some women can be in abusive relationships and unable to provide a safe upbringing. 

It’s not something that sits comfortably with by any means though.

• Like 2

The cut off point I feel was just made as line in sand. It's not right or wrong, there just has to be a line.

Certain circumstances means a whole world of circumstances as every woman's situation is different.

So for now leave it as it is and after that line concentrate on the wellbeing of the mother and child.

10 minutes ago, Webbo said:

If a baby is born prematurely  at 24 weeks doctors can keep it alive, therefore it is a viable human being. Imo abortions shouldn't be carried out after that date unless there is a very good reason like incest, rape or a severe disability/life limiting condition.

It is only in extreme circumstances that it would be allowed on the NHS past 12 weeks.

1 minute ago, Webbo said:

The law is 24 weeks but apparently that's often ignored.

Yeah but on the NHS it’s only in extreme circumstances that they will go past 12. Private care will do it up to 24 weeks. The GP might pay for it if he believes it’s in the best interests of the patient.

Thats what I am reliably told.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah but on the NHS it’s only in extreme circumstances that they will go past 12. Private care will do it up to 24 weeks. The GP might pay for it if he believes it’s in the best interests of the patient.

Thats what I am reliably told.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_in_the_United_Kingdom

Subject to the provisions of this section, a person shall not be guilty of an offence under the law relating to abortion when a pregnancy is terminated by a registered medical practitioner if two registered medical practitioners are of the opinion, formed in good faith -

(a) that the pregnancy has not exceeded its twenty-fourth week and that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated, of injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman or any existing children of her family; or
(b) that the termination of the pregnancy is necessary to prevent grave permanent injury to the physical or mental health of the pregnant woman; or
(c) that the continuance of the pregnancy would involve risk to the life of the pregnant woman, greater than if the pregnancy were terminated
(d) that there is a substantial risk that if the child were born it would suffer from such physical or mental abnormalities as to be seriously handicapped.

Woman's choice.

Abortion should be a right.

Having said that I'm all for the obligatory neutering of all sorts of people so that they can never have babies at all so I'm probably not the right person to ask about it.

9 minutes ago, bovril said:

Like others on here I'm pro-choice although it really doesn't sit comfortably with me. Obviously some of the pro-lifers in the States are nutters, but I do completely understand why some people are against it. 

In an ideal world I’d be against it but in reality, the alternative is much worse.