Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCb0y

Man City make £50million offer for Riyad Mahrez?

7 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

The air quotes imply that you think to some degree I'm being serious about roofying Natalie Portman.  I mean come on pal. X

So sorry, my apologies for any confusion as that's not quite what I meant, the the air quotes did not mean I thought you were being serious so much as they symbolised me using the term "jokes" to describe what you put in the loosest possible terms, i.e. simply not amusing in any way.

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Actually I could give a toss if somebody thinks I've done something wrong, and if somebody who's read my comments takes legitimate offence to them I'll apologise and redact if it seems like a fair response, I simply disagree with the faux outrage in this instance.

I wasn't surprised to see Rumble playing the virtue signal game because we all know it's something he's partial to but at the end of the day everybody can see it's ott humour which I can agree is on controversial ground but I think context is always important when judging these things.  If you don't find any humour in the idea of pretending to give advice on how best to approach the topic of ensnaring Natalie Portman for nefarious purposes that's fair enough, just chalk it down to a difference in opinions and realise that it's ultimately a harmless if stupid remark and nobody got hurt.  If we all piled in every time a controversial joke was made on here the forum would be blocked up with virtue signals.

Just to extra clarify my above post.  The "joke" was simply not funny in any way.  I like lots of very "controversial" comedians who joke about delicate subjects but there is a need for nuance and context.  What you put forward was simply just not amusing.  No wit, no intelligence.  Just the kind of thing a 13 year old may say.  I certainly was not "virtue signalling" although nice term and well used but merely pointing out that what you said just wasn't funny.  Again, I apologise if I wasn't quite clear.

Moreover, please quote to me the part where I said I was offended?  I believe you have created what annoying people like myself define as a straw man. 

Edited by RumbleFox

Hmmm We'll have to beg to differ on this, if he is as good as you think he will improve a big clubs team, which I doubt, no doubt he improves any club in the worlds squad tho, nobodys bigger than the club, its disrespectful to each an everyone of us that buy the tickets, merchandise an he needs to be taught a lesson an allowed to rot in the reserves for a month.

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Just to extra clarify my above post.  The "joke" was simply not funny in any way.  I like lots of very "controversial" comedians who joke about delicate subjects but there is a need for nuance and context.  What you put forward was simply just not amusing.  No wit, no intelligence.  Just the kind of thing a 13 year old may say.  I certainly was not "virtue signalling" although nice term and well used but merely pointing out that what you said just wasn't funny.  Again, I apologise if I wasn't quite clear.

Moreover, please quote to me the part where I said I was offended?  I believe you have created what annoying people like myself define as a straw man. 

Thanks for clarifying, I think the post you quoted already tells you what my response to that is.  Have a good day pal.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, turtmcfly said:

What's funny about drugging someone and fvcking them when they're unconscious?

Offended isn't the word I'd use. Somewhere around 'deflated/disappointed'. I have nebulous recollections of enjoying your posts in the past. This will take the shine off any of you future ones. To save you replying, I know you couldn't give a toss.

Nothing; but that question is hilarious

All subjects have to be open to humour. If you ban certain subjects we're on a very sticky wicket. Life's hard and serious enough as it is. Dark humour is fine.

11 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Why are the media painting us as some kind of bad guys in all this?  They really all an odd bunch, so obsessed with the big teams.  Makes me mad. 

yeah I don't get it either. Man City tried to get one of the most creative players in league with a low ball last minute offer, and then we are the bad ones for saying no...??? It actually annoys me that Man City is not getting more heat for this. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Why are the media painting us as some kind of bad guys in all this?  They really all an odd bunch, so obsessed with the big teams.  Makes me mad. 

We are like many clubs supposed to know our place. But the press have failed to realise its Leicester City again. I thought after 15/16 then 16/17 CL they would realise 

WE DON'T GIVE A FVCK

WE DON'T GIVE A FVCK

WE'RE LEICESTER CITY

WE DON'T GIVE A FVCK

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

yeah I don't get it either. Man City tried to get one of the most creative players in league with a low ball last minute offer, and then we are the bad ones for saying no...??? It actually annoys me that Man City is not getting more heat for this. 

Martin Keown was cool about it on Premier League tonight. Savage was embarrassing as ever

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Jonezy said:

It just sums up the bias nature of the press.  They pretended to enjoy our miracle but really they can't cope.  They don't really want this game to be exciting, romantic or beautiful, they want "teams to know their place".  I am not saying Riyad should stay, nor am I saying he does not have the right to move to a bigger team but to paint us as the bad guys is just mental.  I genuinely don't get it?  I thought we were supposed to like the underdogs in the UK?  Surely one of the "little boys" standing up to the unfair and unjust financial muscle of a team that are trying to buy the league should not be condemned?  I don't even mind if they buy him from us but turning down £50m for a player who is 26 and potentially one of the best in his position in the league is by no means unreasonable.  People are weird.  Fvcking weird. X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

Martin Keown was cool about it on Premier League tonight. Savage was embarrassing as ever

Who keeps giving shit for brains Savage media jobs ?He's not pithy well informed or capable of marshalling arguments to support his contrarian  point of view he's just the annoying git in the pub who goes against the consensus and keeps shouting until everyone checks their watch or  goes off to play the quiz machine 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

8 minutes ago, surrifox said:

Who keeps giving shit for brains Savage media jobs ?He's not pithy well informed or capable of marshalling arguments to support his contrarian  point of view he's just the annoying git in the pub who goes against the consensus and keeps shouting until everyone checks their watch or  goes off to play the quiz machine 

Apparently it was Sav's dream to play for Mark Hughes. Dream big Robbie! Dream big!

• Haha 1

Who do we think alerted the media to Man City's interest in Mahrez?

I'm assuming that it was not LCFC.

I also assume that it wasn't a hawk-eyed journalist spotting something, as I'm not aware of any physical meetings and it didn't proceed to medicals or negotiations with the player.

That presumably leaves Man City and Mahrez's agent.

I'm guessing that the agent was instrumental - trying to use the media to help force the deal through. But do we think Man City were in on the plan, using the media to bounce us into selling Mahrez cheap and late?

Anyone with an opinion and a better understanding of how these deals work? @Bert @Babylon

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

Who do we think alerted the media to Man City's interest in Mahrez?

I'm assuming that it was not LCFC.

I also assume that it wasn't a hawk-eyed journalist spotting something, as I'm not aware of any physical meetings and it didn't proceed to medicals or negotiations with the player.

That presumably leaves Man City and Mahrez's agent.

I'm guessing that the agent was instrumental - trying to use the media to help force the deal through. But do we think Man City were in on the plan, using the media to bounce us into selling Mahrez cheap and late?

Anyone with an opinion and a better understanding of how these deals work? @Bert @Babylon

I have no idea personally, but what you suggest sounds about right to me. Had to be coming from them to try and pressure us.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Babylon said:

I have no idea personally, but what you suggest sounds about right to me. Had to be coming from them to try and pressure us.

Cheers.

This whole business is making me feel pretty sick about football - both the sordid manoeuvring for a deal and Mahrez's conduct since.

I've had mates in the past who asked why I bothered with football any more, given the dominance of big money, the prima donnas, the diving and time-wasting etc.

They wondered why I didn't stick to music or politics or whatever. At times like this, I see their point.

I know the focus now has to be on keeping this season on the rails, with or without Mahrez, as the consequences of a downward drift could be devastating in the summer transfer market & next season.

I'll also be ready (eventually) to cheer Mahrez if he returns and plays as he had been doing, certainly not to boo him. But this all leaves a very sour taste.

We'll probably never know who hatched plans in advance so would be on dodgy legal grounds making accusations.

Agents? Yeah, we know about them. But, put it this way, I have a new hate-figure in football: Guardiola. I never liked the way he hugged and praised opposition players at the end of matches: disrespectful. 

Claude & the LCFC owners have been very restrained in their comments so far. Rightly so, as making accusations would reduce any chance of Riyad returning - and, without evidence, they could even be sued.

I wonder if they'll have anything to say if he remains AWOL? I hope he gets his head together and returns, obviously.

11 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Cheers.

This whole business is making me feel pretty sick about football - both the sordid manoeuvring for a deal and Mahrez's conduct since.

I've had mates in the past who asked why I bothered with football any more, given the dominance of big money, the prima donnas, the diving and time-wasting etc.

They wondered why I didn't stick to music or politics or whatever. At times like this, I see their point.

I know the focus now has to be on keeping this season on the rails, with or without Mahrez, as the consequences of a downward drift could be devastating in the summer transfer market & next season.

I'll also be ready (eventually) to cheer Mahrez if he returns and plays as he had been doing, certainly not to boo him. But this all leaves a very sour taste.

We'll probably never know who hatched plans in advance so would be on dodgy legal grounds making accusations.

Agents? Yeah, we know about them. But, put it this way, I have a new hate-figure in football: Guardiola. I never liked the way he hugged and praised opposition players at the end of matches: disrespectful

Claude & the LCFC owners have been very restrained in their comments so far. Rightly so, as making accusations would reduce any chance of Riyad returning - and, without evidence, they could even be sued.

I wonder if they'll have anything to say if he remains AWOL? I hope he gets his head together and returns, obviously.

I agree Alf. It’s all an act and it’s the same type of player he does it to every time. He does it to Mahrez but I can’t imagine he’d do it to Albrighton or Vardy in the same way. It’d be pointless! 

Don't think that it's the agents' fault for this situation.

It's been known for a while now that Mahrez was looking for a move elsewhere, and still find it daft of him to hand in a transfer request so late in the last window.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

10 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Don't think that it's the agents' fault for this situation.

It's been known for a while now that Mahrez was looking for a move elsewhere, and still find it daft of him to hand in a transfer request so late in the last window.

It wasn’t daft... he was doing his best to push the Man City move through, which is understandable. Putting in the request would remove some of the bonuses / loyalty payments he may have been due on a transfer would it not? 

14 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It wasn’t daft... he was doing his best to push the Man City move through, which is understandable. Putting in the request would remove some of the bonuses / loyalty payments he may have been due on a transfer would it not? 

If he was doing his best, he would've tried to pushed through a transfer earlier on in the window.

His latest public request to leave last month was way too late to allow us to get a decent replacement in and to try and get the best possibly deal from Man City to make it viable enough for him to leave to there.

Hence why I thought it was daft to leave it so near to the deadline to try and push some deal through.

Just makes it awkward for everyone all round, apart from LCFC imo (who I thought has managed the situation very well).

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If he was doing his best, he would've tried to pushed through a transfer earlier on in the window.

His latest public request to leave last month was way too late to allow us to get a decent replacement in and to try and get the best possibly deal from Man City to make it viable enough for him to leave to there.

Hence why I thought it was daft to leave it so near to the deadline to try and push some deal through.

Just makes it awkward for everyone all round, apart from LCFC imo (who I thought has managed the situation very well).

I'd have no problem with Mahrez's agent seeking a move for him or with Mahrez making it clear that he still wanted to leave....provided any deal was acceptable to LCFC.

I presume that the agent WAS trying to find a deal earlier in the window - and last summer. But none were forthcoming, apparently - none acceptable to LCFC, anyway.

If the agent had discovered (before or after the Sane injury) that Man City were interested in Mahrez, but only at a comparatively low price, and if he then connived with Man City to put in a late, low bid, connived with Mahrez for him to act up, and either the agent or Man City released information about the bid to the media so as to pressurize LCFC, I would have massive problems with that. Maybe some or all of that didn't happen. I have no evidence and am only speculating. But my guess is that is roughly what happened!

• Like 1