Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LCFCb0y

Man City make £50million offer for Riyad Mahrez?

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

Who do we think alerted the media to Man City's interest in Mahrez?

I'm assuming that it was not LCFC.

I also assume that it wasn't a hawk-eyed journalist spotting something, as I'm not aware of any physical meetings and it didn't proceed to medicals or negotiations with the player.

That presumably leaves Man City and Mahrez's agent.

I'm guessing that the agent was instrumental - trying to use the media to help force the deal through. But do we think Man City were in on the plan, using the media to bounce us into selling Mahrez cheap and late?

Anyone with an opinion and a better understanding of how these deals work? @Bert @Babylon

Well it certainly wouldn't have been us. Like Babs says you're probably pretty close. Number one you'd expect it to be Mahrez's agent. Then Man City. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I also assume that it wasn't a hawk-eyed journalist spotting something, as I'm not aware of any physical meetings and it didn't proceed to medicals or negotiations with the player.

I'm guessing that the agent was instrumental - trying to use the media to help force the deal through. But do we think Man City were in on the plan, using the media to bounce us into selling Mahrez cheap and late?

Anyone with an opinion and a better understanding of how these deals work? @Bert @Babylon

His 'friend'? :giggle:

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wymeswold fox said:

If he was doing his best, he would've tried to pushed through a transfer earlier on in the window.

His latest public request to leave last month was way too late to allow us to get a decent replacement in and to try and get the best possibly deal from Man City to make it viable enough for him to leave to there.

Hence why I thought it was daft to leave it so near to the deadline to try and push some deal through.

Just makes it awkward for everyone all round, apart from LCFC imo (who I thought has managed the situation very well).

But it was in direct response to Man City’s bid. Handing in a transfer request with no confirmed firm interest is a bit silly... like what he did in the summer.

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

There are some indications that rumors about unrest or claims that the club had known about Mahrez' intentions to seek a move were planted with at least one French sports news outlet by Mahrez' agent or someone from Riyad's entourage.

I'm talking about SFR Sport, whose chief football editor is Mohamed Bouhafsi... an Algerian:

http://www.gqmagazine.fr/lifestyle/sport/articles/mohamed-bouhafsi-journaliste-rmc-sfr-bfm-tv-est-il-le-futur-boss-du-football-francais-/57072

5 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It wasn’t daft... he was doing his best to push the Man City move through, which is understandable. Putting in the request would remove some of the bonuses / loyalty payments he may have been due on a transfer would it not? 

This aspect has been overlooked by the media. The transfer request being notable is just nonsense. Mahrez just trying to get the two sides closer together financially. . we know he wants to.  leaking of it to the press is the problem as it makes his situation with the fans so much worse without this perspective. Guess this is all down to his agent(s) 

kid needs some good advisors and fast. I would have been asking the club for an improved contract early december with a release clause of £75m, revisable upwards/ downwards  at each window by a factor related to general market inflation.  

4 hours ago, DannyN83 said:

Anyone else wish we have taken Roberts and the 50mil..?

No.

£75 million I would have agreed with.

They made us sweat for Nachoman with this buyback clause and we were held up for a month.

They gave us less than a day at best to find an alternative with a 70% offer.

Pep can moan and whine all he likes. What goes around comes around.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

It wasn’t daft... he was doing his best to push the Man City move through, which is understandable. Putting in the request would remove some of the bonuses / loyalty payments he may have been due on a transfer would it not? 

Yes it would... but he has already handed in a transfer request... are they time sensitive? Expire after 6 months?

seems strange he’d have to hand in another one...

12 minutes ago, MPH said:

Yes it would... but he has already handed in a transfer request... are they time sensitive? Expire after 6 months?

seems strange he’d have to hand in another one...

Lets face it, he would have been like ‘**** yes!’ as soon as he heard the interest from Man City... what pro outside of a top, top side would not want to move to them? So whether he puts in 1, 2 or a million transfer requests, his position was clear. 

Yes you might say “he’d only get on the bench” but as a pro you back yourself to get in the 11.

And so I can see why he might feel pissed off at what’s transpired, probably from both parties. He may also feel that given the club did a late deal with Chelsea on Drinkwater at the last transfer window, it wasn’t unreasonable for the club to do the same for him. 

And let’s face it - he’s had a shit agent for ages, he should have been angling for a move after the great escape season if not before! 

11 hours ago, Abrasive fox said:

Most of us the stuff from Mahrez comes from his agent.

Wouldn't be surprised. 

Most clubs when in negotiations normally have some sort of confidentiality agreement. 

The club ought to set their own transfer window deadline for players it doesn’t want to sell by making it clear to players and agents that outgoing bids will not be entertained within a couple of weeks of the formal end of window.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

I'm going to go against the grain and say we should have let him go for £65m. The way things stand, his value could drop significantly if he isn't playing. We may end up taking something like £50m in the summer window, having paid an unhappy player £100k a week to bring nothing but bad vibes into the club for a few months. People keep saying the owners are rich, don't need to sell unless we get £75m etc... but keeping a good atmosphere and morale in the squad surely has to be considered too? Likewise because they are so rich; £10-15m extra is nothing to the Thais!

Edited by ROB-THE-BLUE

25 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

I'm going to go against the grain and say we should have let him go for £65m. The way things stand, his value could drop significantly if he isn't playing. We may end up taking something like £50m in the summer window, having paid an unhappy player £100k a week to bring nothing but bad vibes into the club for a few months. People keep saying the owners are rich, don't need to sell unless we get £75m etc... but keeping a good atmosphere and morale in the squad surely has to be considered too? Likewise because they are so rich; £10-15m extra is nothing to the Thais!

For any club anywhere in any position its stupid to sell your best player on deadline day with no replacement lined up.

Add to that we would have sold him for less than market value...

There is no way it would have been a good idea to sell him

43 minutes ago, AlloverthefloorYesNdidi said:

For any club anywhere in any position its stupid to sell your best player on deadline day with no replacement lined up.

Add to that we would have sold him for less than market value...

There is no way it would have been a good idea to sell him

Our best player when he wants to be. We'v probably been left with the mopey liability that we had for most of last season. 

3 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Our best player when he wants to be. We'v probably been left with the mopey liability that we had for most of last season. 

That is true and thats a risk.  It may prove to be the way we should have looked at it.  But I still think its better for our rep we dont get pushed over and the potential of having Riyad on song for the last 14 games and potential FA Cup final.... worth the risk

I also think if our squad's spirit is so brittle as to not be able to withstand the dressing room upset then we've got bigger problems than our flying whinger

Edited by AlloverthefloorYesNdidi
  • Like 1

If I were Mahrez I'd be furious with my agent, not the club! The agent must be in a position approaching the transfer windows to know what value a club is placing on players under his care, and what negotiating room there might be in that. Only then can he be in a position to offer advice to his client & engineer deals. In Mahrezs' case it seems they thought that £50m was the magic number, which seems totally ridiculous really.

Having been misled last window Mahrez changed his manager and has arguably been given even worse service and advice and has suffered significant reputational damage as a result, and that adds risk for any potential purchaser.

What he needs is for Qatar to use their tourist board to sponsor another stand at PSG for £300m so they can go buy Messi/Kane/whoever without breaking FFP and spark off another round of massively inflated transfers. As that money passes from club to club maybe one of them will take a chance and cough up £85M for Mahrez.

Edited by Bablemikey

I am really getting annoyed with the narrative being us blocking the move and being the bad ones. If we had carved in, it would just have showed, that the big rich clubs just can underbid for 'smaller' clubs best players and get away with it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Then so be it, £40m in the summer is still more than gettable even if he strops all season. The extra £10m is neither here nor there for any premier league club, it's about principle and letting everyone know it's Leicester City than dictates the transfer of our players and not the players, agents or other clubs.

• Like 4