Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Almo-Fox

What retains Leicester from becoming top 6

Think refrain is a better word.

Perhaps more consistent recruitment is preventing the club from progressing more.

They've got/had the gems of Gray, Mahrez, Ndidi, Vardy through their own success, but they've also had poor choices in Musa, and perhaps Slimani and Amartey.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Almo-Fox said:

Every one loves football , stamina , and the fighting spirit , may find all of these in leicester city  recent history ( since 2009). But one will be tempted to ask himself what retain the team from becoming a top 6 club in the EPL, because they have shown they can do it ( even yesterday lose to mancity is a game to forget both from LCFC and man city ( man city know that they were lucky ) 

Could you see some or one of the factors, below, are reasons to explain what retain leicester from ecoming a top 6 ?

1-  the owners s vision to develop a top 6 team is questionable 

2- the ex managers ( Nigel  ranieri and shakey ) were beneath leicester s goals and real value

3- the players ( value and quality ) cannot help this target ( every successful team must respect gauss law in flux distribution ( bell curve ) e.g ,  the team must at lest have 5-6 top players ( value/quality)  to perform as a top 6 . 

4- is puel inthe right direction as he changed the style of play , abondonned counter attacking style, ask for more quality players who can hold the ball and increase possession 

I thought we won the Prem with Ranieri?:ph34r:

6 hours ago, Almo-Fox said:

Every one loves football , stamina , and the fighting spirit , may find all of these in leicester city  recent history ( since 2009). But one will be tempted to ask himself what retain the team from becoming a top 6 club in the EPL, because they have shown they can do it ( even yesterday lose to mancity is a game to forget both from LCFC and man city ( man city know that they were lucky ) 

Could you see some or one of the factors, below, are reasons to explain what retain leicester from ecoming a top 6 ?

1-  the owners s vision to develop a top 6 team is questionable 

2- the ex managers ( Nigel  ranieri and shakey ) were beneath leicester s goals and real value

3- the players ( value and quality ) cannot help this target ( every successful team must respect gauss law in flux distribution ( bell curve ) e.g ,  the team must at lest have 5-6 top players ( value/quality)  to perform as a top 6 . 

4- is puel inthe right direction as he changed the style of play , abondonned counter attacking style, ask for more quality players who can hold the ball and increase possession 

£750 million spent wildly with no FFP consequences.

55 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I've never, ever seen or read the use of 'retains...from' in this context.

Its a quite bizarre use of English terminology

Obviously not his first language and obviously as "prevent... from"or "hold back" to understand. Aside from that whatever the hell he meant.

Edited by ZeGuy

We can still finish 7th. Can't see either us or Burnley catching Arsenal or Totteringham this season with only 12 matches left. Our goal difference got a bit of a battering yesterday. If we finished 7th and sneaked into Europe, or even better won the FA Cup, would we be the first European qualifiers with a negative goal difference in the league?

The biggest issue is that we can't hold onto our best players, just like the other teams outside the top 6 like Southampton and Everton. Kante and DD went and Mahrez is next and no doubt will be followed by Maguire and Ndidi in time. As much as our owners want us to build a strong squad and be in the top 6 every season, if any of the current top 6 (except spurs and to an extent Arsenal) bid for our top players, we are helpless in stopping them from leaving. If we still had Kante and DD now on top of a slightly better recruitment since we won the league, then we would be a top 6 side by now but it seems that as soon as a team threatens the top 6 (when we won the league against all odds) the usual top 6 tries to restore order by poaching the best players from said team. Has always been the way and will always continue to be the way. Our owners are rich, but can't compete with the top teams (except Spurs). I do kind of hope that when Poch leaves Spurs and they can no longer pay the wages needed to keep the likes of Kane and Alli that they will be brought back down with the rest of us and maybe we can talk about the top 5 rather than the top 6. 

• Like 2

thanks mates for sticking the word ( retain from ) used in the title to question the 4 factors that ( prevent , restrain , refrain )  Leicester city to become a tegular tpp  6 club. 

one is free to use ( prevent or refrain or restrain ), but I used retain to avoid any  sense of keeping  by force. Leicester city has shown capacity to be a top 6 club  with class and strength. 

retain  in is an old Anglo- Norman French. 

we can make it to the top six just go for the players that are good but at an age where top 6 clubs don't want them. (25-29) like jonnithan viera, acerbi, berradi pizzi etc.

short term we would be top six then we buy the attraction of a top six club.

the club are moving towards this direction with the aquistion of silva and iborra but we dont play them.

Edited by Fightforever

1 hour ago, Gerbold said:

I've often written that ego is the main obstacle to achieving equanimity in life - maybe not success, but equanimity. In many ways team games must discourage ego - 'there's no 'i' in team' is one saying. If Mahrez stopped indulging his ego he would be a better player for his team. There are many forms of ego - it's a slippery little devil.

When you write about "gauss law in flux distribution" (and it's energy distribution would appear as a bell curve - I think) you're indulging your ego (as I am in demonstrating I comprehend a little of what you mean) - in order to, presumably, impress or provoke your fellow forum members. Many just will ignore your comments as obscure and pedantic. I see them as self-obfuscating. So why not keep it simple? If you want to make more than a rhetorical statement to display your intelligence and knowledge then let the other posters answer the question you put - instead of, as they say in legal circles, leading the witnesses. i notice you ignored one of my responses - I'm not galled, but it seems you avoid a discussion in preference to finding the next opportunity to impress.

What will prevent the team from becoming a top six club? The absence of an inexhaustible supply of money.

as to 1- above - are you asking if the "owners s vision to develop a top 6 team is questionable" or stating it. I doubt their commitment is questionable.

as to 2- above - are you asking whether Pearson, Ranieri and Shakespeare were the managers who developed the goal-scoring ability of the team? "Real value" - is that monetary or in ability?

Only six top players?! I think Man City must have around twenty top 'name' players, Arsenal sixteen, United seventeen, Chelsea seventeen, Tottenham sixteen and Liverpool twelve. Leicester have six I could readily say were outstanding players.

I don't think Puel has abandoned counter-attacking - it's very early days yet to assess anything on a short run of games of four months. I know people are already blaming him for not reaching their expectations and want to see him fired but he appears to be assessing the possibilities of adapting the squad to different systems. We're in mid-table - to expect anything else is unreasonable, especially after our parlous start - we're in the FA Cup still, and we have a developing squad with a youthful feel. Mahrez will go so there has to be consideration given as to his successor. But this is a short term league for managers - however I believe Srivaddhanaprabha will be willing to persevere with Puel.

always a joy to read Gerbold. And posts are always providing  knowledge either about the inside or the outside, the interior or the exterior , the self or the milieu  ( philosophy without a subject is psychology ).

i was called ( rightly ) to check out the meaning of the used word in the title ( retain ) , and three wee proosed ( prevent , restrain , and refrain ) my answer was :  these words can be used by my follw posters. But I deliberately chose ( retain ) since it's has a neutral influence and avoiding the determinism. 

ps :  if you meant your post in the other thread ( I already gave an answer ) 

Edited by Almo-Fox