Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
sylofox

Premier League Thread 2018/19 stuff it in here.

Wolves have been just promoted, great season yes but the PL is a different level and they will need to make several good signings to even be looking at mid table.  I think they will finish about 12th-15th, and that should be seen as a good season for them 

5 minutes ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Wolves have been just promoted, great season yes but the PL is a different level and they will need to make several good signings to even be looking at mid table.  I think they will finish about 12th-15th, and that should be seen as a good season for them 

Nah it's not. Outside the top 6 the league is poor. Arsenal were generally poor this season and picked up three away points this year but didn't shift from 6th, Burnley didn't win for about 10 games yet still finished 7th.

Bournemouth finished 12th despite starting so bad and still having the likes of Steve Cook and Simon Francis starting in defence every week.

Wolves play decent football and have a few decent players, they'll stay up. 

Edited by Fox92
changed it around

Just now, Fox92 said:

Nah it's not. Outside the top 6 the league is poor. Wolves play decent football and have a few decent players, they'll stay up. 

Bournemouth finished 12th despite starting so bad and still having the likes of Steve Cook and Simon Francis starting in defence every week.

Look at my prediction, 12th-15th I understand there are poor sides in the PL, but they aren’t breaking top 10 either. 

1 minute ago, foxes_rule1978 said:

Look at my prediction, 12th-15th I understand there are poor sides in the PL, but they aren’t breaking top 10 either. 

Yeah just edited my post. Why won't they finish top 10? Look how poor Arsenal and Burnley were for parts of the season but didn't drop below 7th.

Just to clarify: I think the level of football is different in the PL (the standard in the Championship is horrific) and I think Cardiff, generally an old side who play direct football will struggle to get out of the bottom three, but a side like Wolves (and Fulham/Villa) will stay up.

Edited by Fox92

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Nah it's not. Outside the top 6 the league is poor. Arsenal were generally poor this season and picked up three away points this year but didn't shift from 6th, Burnley didn't win for about 10 games yet still finished 7th.

Wolves play decent football and have a few decent players, they'll stay up. 

Really so Burnley everton and us is no step up from Barnsley Burton Forest and Ipswich. lol lol lol The Prem is a huge step up.

17 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Yeah just edited my post. Why won't they finish top 10? Look how poor Arsenal and Burnley were for parts of the season but didn't drop below 7th.

Just to clarify: I think the level of football is different in the PL (the standard in the Championship is horrific) and I think Cardiff, generally an old side who play direct football will struggle to get out of the bottom three, but a side like Wolves (and Fulham/Villa) will stay up.

Can’t see them being above arsenal or any of the other top 6. Can see Newcastle and Everton improving, Burnley might struggle for top ten again but I think we will improve. Also feel West Ham and Bournemouth will have better seasons as well.

Generally teams from the championship even with higher points than wolves rarely find themselves in top 10. Like I said they could make several good signings and get there you never know. Wolves will be very inconsistent like everyone pretty much is especially when first up. The standard is higher because you are playing teams better than any you faced before every game 

Edited by foxes_rule1978
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sylofox said:

Really so Burnley everton and us is no step up from Barnsley Burton Forest and Ipswich. lol lol lol The Prem is a huge step up.

Barnsley, Burton, Forest and Ipswich haven't just smashed the league so that's a stupid comparison. 

• Like 1

Just now, sylofox said:

Well you really missed that point didn't you.

No, you did.

The whole subject started about Wolves. They've won the league. They've got a decent manager, a couple decent players and huge investment behind them.

Do I think they are any worse than Huddersfield, Brighton etc? No.

4 minutes ago, Koke said:

We smashed up the league as well in 13/14 and we found the step up difficult the follwiing season.  

True, fair point. I do think Cardiff will struggle to get out of the bottom three all season but I think Wolves and the winner of Fulham/Villa will be alright.

Of course, it's all hypothetical. Not all squads are complete yet etc.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

No, you did.

The whole subject started about Wolves. They've won the league. They've got a decent manager, a couple decent players and huge investment behind them.

Do I think they are any worse than Huddersfield, Brighton etc? No.

No i dont think they are worse than some sides. They have won a league playing Burton Barnsley Forest and Ipswich.

You claimed other than the top six the prem is a nothing league.

So you don't think us Eveton Burnley and Newcastle are no better than what Wolves played this season.

We won the championship with more points than Wolves. Would care to explain what happened our first season back up.

There’s not much debate to be had Wolves will be fine. Pushing 12th to 10th dependent on fixtures and signings.

Like or not they have a pull now for players given the reputation the coach has built and the players they have. Their depth isn’t great as it stands but I can see that being sorted soon. Very surprised given that they have been promoted such a long time ago, they haven’t signed a couple already. 

I remember when we pissed the championship and look what happened. Survived with the greatest escape

of all time but for a good 5 months it was dreadful. Wolves will stay up and take a scalp or two I think but it would be a hell of an achievement to break top ten. 

Early predictions. 

Man City to retain the title. 

Cardiff, Huddersfield and whoever wins the playoff to be relegated. 

Us to finish 7th. 

2 hours ago, Koke said:

We smashed up the league as well in 13/14 and we found the step up difficult the follwiing season.  

That was annoying, after drawing against Everton and beating United 5-3 we just couldn't win games for weeks on end. Never got thoroughly beaten but sank right down. Could have been very easy for us to get relegated if we weren't so fvcking brilliant

I think when we came up because we were so used to winning once we lost a few games it was hard for us to get back to a standard where we dont win all our games but win some.

I think Wolves will be like us where they start decent be shite then have a great escape

Edited by Fightforever

6 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

There’s not much debate to be had Wolves will be fine. Pushing 12th to 10th dependent on fixtures and signings.

Like or not they have a pull now for players given the reputation the coach has built and the players they have. Their depth isn’t great as it stands but I can see that being sorted soon. Very surprised given that they have been promoted such a long time ago, they haven’t signed a couple already. 

There won't be many major signings until July really. Accounting wise the new season starts on July 1st. That's when Jota will make his permanent move official, and the same will happen with our other loan players we decide to keep. 

Plus the World Cup means players will be away on a short holiday now, then off there so it's unlikely any serious things will happen until after that. 

5 hours ago, The Bear said:

There won't be many major signings until July really. Accounting wise the new season starts on July 1st. That's when Jota will make his permanent move official, and the same will happen with our other loan players we decide to keep. 

Plus the World Cup means players will be away on a short holiday now, then off there so it's unlikely any serious things will happen until after that. 

None of that sounds like it will help your cause. Even possible you could lose your loan players. By the time you start looking a lot of clubs will be finished buying.

People get swept along in this idea that the Premier League is bad and that teams coming up will just smash it and easily make the top ten.

Its a viral thing that goes around, where people equate finishing 7th or 8th to be ho hum in the Premier League. It takes more quality to do that, than win the Championship.

Theres a big gulf in quality between championship and Premier League. Every team in the Premier League is roughly at least equivalent standard to those coming up from the Championship bar one or two exceptions from any given season, and usually considerably better.

Put Bolton, Burton, Birmingham, QPR etc in the Premier League next season, and they would get plastered every week.

There have been teams that have done an even more convincing job in the championship and still found the step up to the Premier League tough, we managed a 100 + points return and barely survived, so whilst I think Wolves will be ok, don't downplay the supposed "poor" Premier League.

Edited by Donut
  • Like 1