Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
woznotwos

Mahrez to Man City shock

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I just think unless your any of the top six, you have to have one eye on it.

It only takes a couple of factors to come to play out, let's say we sell Mahrez (Likely), have another summer of bad recuitment (Possible) and a long term injury to Vardy and we would be in big trouble.

Hi there

Oh I agree completely that every club outside the elite needs to think about it and your post is correct but some people seem so certain we will which is what I was confused about.  Outside the top six I don't think many people other than our own fans would put money on us going down.  Yes, we should be wary of it, but there has been an overreaction on here.

5 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Hi there

Oh I agree completely that every club outside the elite needs to think about it and your post is correct but some people seem so certain we will which is what I was confused about.  Outside the top six I don't think many people other than our own fans would put money on us going down.  Yes, we should be wary of it, but there has been an overreaction on here.

I'm not overly concerned, my biggest concern is our recuitment, which has be pretty poor. It's left us in a position were we need a wholesale squad revamp, instead of Minot tweaks here and there.

11 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

Why, when we finished 9th and have a young squad, are some people so sure we will be relegated next season?  X

It only takes a couple of bad results, and a certain amount of injuries, teams behind us playing better/more consistent than this season and a weaker Manchester City side and we're close to the relegation places.

Plus, we're looking at a very interesting/busy summer now.

Of course, that's all hypothetical. But not impossible.

10 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

It only takes a couple of bad results, and a certain amount of injuries, teams behind us playing better/more consistent than this season and a weaker Manchester City side and we're close to the relegation places.

Plus, we're looking at a very interesting/busy summer now.

Of course, that's all hypothetical. But not impossible.

I think you are confusing me saying "why do some people think there might be a chance of us going down" (which of course is a very reasonable fear) with what I actually said which was "why are some people so sure" which is where my confusion lies.  Of course there is a chance but far too much doom and gloom on here.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, esoog said:

With what it pays to be in PL Leicester fully aware by letting Mahrez play out his contract is worth more than the £65m transfer fee being touted around. I don't think he will leave this summer just my opinion 

It's only worth keeping Mahrez and writing off the £65m if he's the difference between survival and relegation which he shouldn't be. 

With two years left on his contract it's probably the right time to sell him and rebuild with the proceeds. It's one thing not selling him within 48 hours of the deadline but another for refusing to sell him in the summer.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I think you are confusing me saying "why do some people think there might be a chance of us going down" (which of course is a very reasonable fear) with what I actually said which was "why are some people so sure" which is where my confusion lies.  Of course there is a chance but far too much doom and gloom on here.  X

Personally, I'd say the amount of people being "sure" of us going down next season is insignificant.

The tendency of results and performances in 2018 is worrying, and I think that's what bugging most fans critical of the team (manager, players, management).

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

Personally, I'd say the amount of people being "sure" of us going down next season is insignificant.

The tendency of results and performances in 2018 is worrying, and I think that's what bugging most fans critical of the team (manager, players, management).

OK, we wont agree as it seems like we are stuck on semantics here but thanks for your input.  X

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I think that was what I was trying to say in my original post.  Some people seems SO SURE we will go down which I think is an overreaction.  I am not sure I agree with wholesale changes?  We certainly need to sell.  I think maybe you are right in terms of the squad, it does need work, but I feel that in terms of a starting 11 we are not too far off.

Kasper

RB  Maguire  CB  Chilwell

Ndidi   Silva

Diabate  Iheanacho  Gray

Vardy

Something like the above with a new RB and CB and I wouldn't be too depressed going in to next season.  Midfield looks OK with Choudhury, Iborra and possibly James/King/Mendy as back up.  Fuchs and Chilwell for me are OK at LB but we definitely need a CB and RB.  No. 10/replacing Mahrez is obviously the big one.  Iheanacho looked great last game but can he play behind Vardy more regularly? Who knows.  Can either Gray or Diabate fill Mahrez's boots?  Not sure.  The good thing is the spine is youngish.  We need more quality in depth you are right but I feel players like Simpson, Albrighton, Okazaki, etc are more than good enough for the bench.

We'll see, with the right additions we could have a very healthy looking squad if the only player we lose is Mahrez.  I personally think we will not lose anyone esle (apart from the players we want to move on obviously) and so far some of the names we have been linked with (Evans, Pereira, Roberts, etc) are exciting young (in the main) prospects.  I dunno, maybe I am just a happy simpleton but I feel optimistic.  X

No room for optimism on here!... 

So just enjoy being a happy simpleton! ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Hi there

Southampton fans are lumping on.

1 hour ago, Gerard said:

It's only worth keeping Mahrez and writing off the £65m if he's the difference between survival and relegation which he shouldn't be. 

With two years left on his contract it's probably the right time to sell him and rebuild with the proceeds. It's one thing not selling him within 48 hours of the deadline but another for refusing to sell him in the summer.

Looking at his stats last few seasons he's worth more than £65m to the club plus the shirts he's selling abroad. Same with Zaha, the £50m link is a complete joke, he's worth a hell of lot more to them than that price tag.

Mahrez knows this and his latest comments suggest to me atleast he's prepared to play out his contract 

My argument is also based loosely on Qatar World Cup. Mahrez, Salah are big names if they can get their national teams into that tournament. It's a 4 year plan, he's better off playing out his contract with regular football fot next two years. 

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

I think that was what I was trying to say in my original post.  Some people seems SO SURE we will go down which I think is an overreaction.  I am not sure I agree with wholesale changes?  We certainly need to sell.  I think maybe you are right in terms of the squad, it does need work, but I feel that in terms of a starting 11 we are not too far off.

Kasper

RB  Maguire  CB  Chilwell

Ndidi   Silva

Diabate  Iheanacho  Gray

Vardy

Something like the above with a new RB and CB and I wouldn't be too depressed going in to next season.  Midfield looks OK with Choudhury, Iborra and possibly James/King/Mendy as back up.  Fuchs and Chilwell for me are OK at LB but we definitely need a CB and RB.  No. 10/replacing Mahrez is obviously the big one.  Iheanacho looked great last game but can he play behind Vardy more regularly? Who knows.  Can either Gray or Diabate fill Mahrez's boots?  Not sure.  The good thing is the spine is youngish.  We need more quality in depth you are right but I feel players like Simpson, Albrighton, Okazaki, etc are more than good enough for the bench.

We'll see, with the right additions we could have a very healthy looking squad if the only player we lose is Mahrez.  I personally think we will not lose anyone esle (apart from the players we want to move on obviously) and so far some of the names we have been linked with (Evans, Pereira, Roberts, etc) are exciting young (in the main) prospects.  I dunno, maybe I am just a happy simpleton but I feel optimistic.  X

Isn’t Fuchs leaving? 

Also, there’s the debate that we have very little creativity in the middle unless Silva comes to life 

8 minutes ago, Mullet1 said:

Isn’t Fuchs leaving? 

Also, there’s the debate that we have very little creativity in the middle unless Silva comes to life 

I believe Fuchs is leaving at the end of next year but I may be wrong.  I personally think Silva has real quality but your fears are not unfounded.  I was not so much saying this is an optimal team more that the doom and gloom is slightly over egged on this forum. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tuna said:

We ought to insist on a buy back clause :thumbup:

I know you are being a bit tongue in cheek, but we should put in a first refusal clause, and should have put them in Drinkwater and Kante's contracts, a buy back clause is based on a player improving, whereas this would be based on a player getting worse. If one of those players that has left for bigger things doesn't make it, then we should have first refusal put in the contract if they are, for example, selling to a non-champions league club.

This doesn't mean they will automatically rejoin us, but if we wanted them and they were in agreement (which they have already signed to the clause) then it makes it simple and cheap. If I knew Drinkwater had signed such a clause I would be less annoyed about him going and welcome him back.

3 hours ago, moore_94 said:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11706/11372698/wilfried-zaha-tracked-by-manchester-city-amid-ongoing-speculation

Man City also tracking Wilfried Zaha, gonna guess he will be backup choice to sign if we start playing hardball again over the Mahrez deal

It has been reported that Zaha was actually Man City's primary target but he has turned them down and stated that he wants to stay at Palace because they believed in him when others didn't. Maybe Mahrez is the backup option but I can  just as easily see him still being at Leicester as being at Manchester.

12 minutes ago, FIF said:

It has been reported that Zaha was actually Man City's primary target but he has turned them down and stated that he wants to stay at Palace because they believed in him when others didn't. Maybe Mahrez is the backup option but I can  just as easily see him still being at Leicester as being at Manchester.

Mahrez is way better than Zaha anyway.

On 14/05/2018 at 12:30, Mullet1 said:

Isn’t Fuchs leaving? 

I think Silva against Arsenal shown us a glimpse of the creativity he is capable of imo.

With a good pre season behind him & hopefully a good World Cup with Portugal I can see him playing a major role for us next season as long as he’s played in the right system.

On 14/05/2018 at 10:26, Gerard said:

It's a fine balance for teams tho, was saying last night we are lucky with have owners with deep pockets and have amassed a few quid in the last 2 season, with a Title and Europe, but look at Swansea, 45 million for a player that was the difference in them staying up most season's with his goals, assists, set-pieces etc, and now they have gone. cost to them, what £100 million a season?

think what worries most is that, with rudkin in charge, there is no way to say we can recruit properly and replace him.

6 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

It's a fine balance for teams tho, was saying last night we are lucky with have owners with deep pockets and have amassed a few quid in the last 2 season, with a Title and Europe, but look at Swansea, 45 million for a player that was the difference in them staying up most season's with his goals, assists, set-pieces etc, and now they have gone. cost to them, what £100 million a season?

think what worries most is that, with rudkin in charge, there is no way to say we can recruit properly and replace him.

With Rudkin in charge we have kept hold of Vardy and Mahrez and not forgetting adding Ndidi. 

• Like 1