Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wymsey

The Royal Wedding 2018 (Harry and Meghan)

Windsor police seize rough sleepers' bus ahead of royal wedding

Charity’s bus impounded after police claim there was an issue with the driver’s licence

A double-decker bus used as a shelter for rough sleepers in Windsor has been impounded by police before Saturday’s royal wedding.

Thames Valley police said The Ark Project’s 10-bed bus was seized from the town centre due to an issue with the driver’s licence.

The charity’s founder, Michael Longsmith, 42, said nine people on the bus had been “kicked out” on to the streets because police wanted the bus removed before Prince Harry and Meghan Markle’s wedding, despite it being parked on private land with full permission.

The bus had been parked in “a lovely spot” right on the corner next to the castle, said Longsmith.

Police had towed it away, claiming it was a public service vehicle – which Longsmith said it was not. “They towed it away to be inspected and categorised and it’s not going to be given back until after the wedding.”

Inspector Gavin Biggs, a roads police officer, said the force seized the vehicle on Thursday afternoon. “It was being driven otherwise than in accordance with a licence, a man was reported for the offence and the vehicle was removed,” he said.

Windsor council’s Conservative leader, Simon Dudley, sparked controversy earlier this year with a letter to Thames Valley Police, saying rough sleepers should be removed from the Berkshire town before the wedding. But, after a backlash, it appeared no homeless people had been removed and the Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead said it has been working with charities to get rough sleepers the help they needed.

Longsmith said of the bus: “It’s been used as a motorhome for the last year, since it was converted.” Normally used at a shelter in Reading, he had moved it to Windsor two days ago “to help the homeless because of the kerfuffle around them”.

“There were nine people on board at the time it was seized. They’ve just been kicked out back on to the streets. There is nowhere for them. No provisions set up for them in Windsor. Now we are trying to rally around to find tents for them.”

“The real motivation was because the place we were parked in was right opposite the castle and with the amount of press and media that it was shining on the homeless problem, they just wanted it gone. So they have used whatever power they could.”

He claimed police had lured them out of a private car park “saying they wanted to have a word, and can you bring the bus down the road. They were all smiley-faced. But, when we got out of the view of the public that is when they seized it”.

“That was deliberate. They lured us away from the public view, down a little side street, and then they did what they did.”

Biggs said the bus would be retained as part of an ongoing investigation to ensure it was roadworthy.

He added: “Once the investigation has been completed, we will be happy to release the vehicle, as long as the correct documentation is in place.

“Officers will execute their duty compassionately and discretely where appropriate. This is what Thames Valley police tried to do on this occasion.”

Doing something better. On an all day CAMRA Mild day tour. Will do what I can to avoid it.. One pub in Derby (and I suspect many more across the country) has declared a RWFZ and any conversation re it will be punished by a donation in the charity box. There is also a Cup Final will try and watch that if we get back to a pub  or home in time.

Guest MattP

The "look at me I'm not watching the Royal Wedding" lot are actually now more annoying than the event itself.

If you don't want to watch it fine, if you do and enjoy it fine, but harping on about it just makes you look a bellend.

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, Webbo said:

I'm a royalist, they seem a nice young couple, I wish them all the best but I'm not really interested.

Pretty much exactly where I am.

24 minutes ago, MattP said:

The "look at me I'm not watching the Royal Wedding" lot are actually now more annoying than the event itself.

If you don't want to watch it fine, if you do and enjoy it fine, but harping on about it just makes you look a bellend.

How are you supposed to take the piss properly if you don't even watch it?

It beggars belief etc

If people want to enjoy it then let them, if you doesn't bother you then why say anything about it? Personally there was always going to be a lot of media overkill on it but it's our royal family, one of the greatest things about Britain. The same royal family that brings billions into our economy year in year out. Watched a bit of the coverage, only thing that's slightly annoying me is how much they keep referring to Meghan's race. This is 2018, does it really matter what race someone is? I get all the history behind it but it seems like the BBC are really pushing some sort of agenda. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

I'm a royalist, they seem a nice young couple, I wish them all the best but I'm not really interested. I suspect my wife will probably watch it though.

Plastic royal fan, only turning up for the big events.