Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
TheUltimateWinner

England Squad Announced

1 minute ago, cityfanlee23 said:

To be honest, I think it was more about the balance of experience in this choice rather than the best form. Could easily make a case for Maguire and Tarkowski as a pair, but neither have much experience. 

Probably the rationale but I don't know what Cahill's experience of abject failure and being a past-it center half will bring to the squad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Danny Welbeck lol

Ruben Loftus-Cheek lol

Gary Cahill lol 

I quite like the Loftus-Cheek inclusion. Damn sight happier with him there than Jake Livermore.

Gives the potential to call on some running power from central midfield, which was lost with Oxlade-Chamberlain's injury.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 3

Welbeck and Cahill the standout poor picks for me, although no centre halves really stood out.

I think it's light in midfield and a bit defence heavy. Maybe have Shelvey in for Cahill.

Then Welbeck... nah not for me. I'd have actually gambled on Sancho over taking Welbeck who we already know is average.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Butland

Walker

Stones

Maguire

Alexander-arnold

Henderson

Alli

Rose

Lingard

Kane

Vardy

That’s the team I would go with but can’t see it happening as it will be Young in for Alexander-Arnold and either Welbeck or Rashford instead of Vardy 

3 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Only when he plays against us.

2 goals and 4 assists all season. Would have rather taken someone like Lallana. Even Wilshere.

Goals and assists are not everything, the two you would take ahead of RLC Both have less goals/assists so not really sure why you made that specific point? 

Lallana 0 goals 0 assists

Wilshere 1 Goal 3 Assists.

RLC plays in a far inferior team that have been inconsistent all season, you cannot seriously be suggesting that RLC has only been good against us? he's been one of their best players this season by a mile.

1 minute ago, jammie82uk said:

That’s the team I would go with but can’t see it happening as it will be Young in for Alexander-Arnold and either Welbeck or Rashford instead of Vardy 

There is absolutely no way Sterling doesn't play. My prediction would be:

Pickford

Walker

Stones

Maguire/Jones

Trippier

Dier

Henderson

Young

Sterling

Alli/Lingard

Kane

3 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

Goals and assists are not everything, the two you would take ahead of RLC Both have less goals/assists so not really sure why you made that specific point? 

Lallana 0 goals 0 assists

Wilshere 1 Goal 3 Assists.

RLC plays in a far inferior team that have been inconsistent all season, you cannot seriously be suggesting that RLC has only been good against us? he's been one of their best players this season by a mile.

Because at least Lallana and Wilshere have been there and done it in an England shirt. I'd be pretty loathed to take either of those two either.

The "only plays well against us" is half tongue in cheek. He played well in both games this season and I think he did a fancy flick when we played Chelsea last year to set one of their goals up.

I just don't think he's done enough to warrant a place in the England squad. he didn't even enter my thinking when I answered your thread earlier.

Not sure why we need Walker, Alexander-Arnold and Trippier. Southgate clearly doesn't trust a defence so he's named a few options.

Extremely light in central midfield, assume Ali and Loftus-Cheek will play deeper if required, might work in the group stages but we couldn't use them against a good side.

No real issues with the forwards, its pretty much as I expected.

Great to have a couple of City players in the squad- very rare.

Much will be revealed by the line-ups he plays in the friendlies, but I fancy Maguire to start and Vardy to be his go-to option off the bench (as much as I feel he should be starting).

38 minutes ago, Osavo said:

My team would be:

Pickford

Jones

Stones

Maguire

Walker

Henderson

Dier

Young

Sterling

Lingard

Vardy

Vardy won't start ahead of Kane however.

Nor should he.

• Like 1

5XUCT0M.png

I'd probably lineup with something like this in the games against Tunisia & Panama with Alli pushed up behind Vardy & Kane, probably have to go a tad more defensive against Belgium though with Walker moving into RWB and throwing Jones/Cahill as the third CB. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

How do you fit him in with a 50 goal partnership up front? 442? 

With his 18 goals and 15 assists this season he's the second name on the team sheet for me behind Kane.

• Like 2

Experience over form rules again, the only nice surprise is Alexander-Arnold.

Cahill and Jones over Tarkowski is a joke, why both of them, makes no sense.

That midfield offers no creativity whatsoever, I don't mind Loftus-Cheek but Delph being included :blink: we'll badly miss someone like Wilshere or Shelvey.

Apart from that the squad is ok.

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Vardy 3.55 shots per goal > Kane 6.1 shots per goal. Just saying. 

Vardy is the better finisher but Kane's all round game is far superior.

In an ideal world we'd have a midfield that could allow us to play them both but we can't have a 2 man midfield with the shite we've got there.