Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Parafox

World Cup TV Coverage. ITV or BBC or R5/TalkSport

World Cup TV Coverage. ITV or BBC or R5/TalkSport  

88 members have voted

1. 1. As the title explains...

• BBC
    • ITV
    • Radio 5
    • TalkSport

Just to note that the TV ratings for this tournament are out of this world. 10.4m for Spain-Portugal, 8m for Russia-Egypt, 9.4m for Spain-Iran and the 21m who watched on TV and online for the England game.

I've also not seen a rating below 2m so far for any game. They're absolutely mad figures for such run of the mill games, and goes to not only emphasise the appetite for the World Cup but the importance of keeping these games on terrestrial TV (though I reckon they'll share with BT/Sky come 2026 and the 48-team tournament.)

1 hour ago, Footballwipe said:

Just to note that the TV ratings for this tournament are out of this world. 10.4m for Spain-Portugal, 8m for Russia-Egypt, 9.4m for Spain-Iran and the 21m who watched on TV and online for the England game.

I've also not seen a rating below 2m so far for any game. They're absolutely mad figures for such run of the mill games, and goes to not only emphasise the appetite for the World Cup but the importance of keeping these games on terrestrial TV (though I reckon they'll share with BT/Sky come 2026 and the 48-team tournament.)

It won't go Sky/BT. Unless there's a huge change, there are certain sporting events that are protected and have to available to all on terrestrial tv. The world cup, euros, grand national, Wimbledon, Olympics, British grand prix, etc, as it stands can't be moved to subscription tv and I've not heard any plans to change it.

34 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

It won't go Sky/BT. Unless there's a huge change, there are certain sporting events that are protected and have to available to all on terrestrial tv. The world cup, euros, grand national, Wimbledon, Olympics, British grand prix, etc, as it stands can't be moved to subscription tv and I've not heard any plans to change it.

Yes, well, well aware of the protected sports lists. My reference was that it's important this list isn't touched. No noises of it of course but it only takes one and it snowballs, especially if the right wrong Culture, Media & Sport minister comes in with their agenda. This, along with the Euros, really are the crown jewels (Olympics were in 2012 too) and are a uniting force for the country.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Yes, well, well aware of the protected sports lists. My reference was that it's important this list isn't touched. No noises of it of course but it only takes one and it snowballs, especially if the right wrong Culture, Media & Sport minister comes in with their agenda. This, along with the Euros, really are the crown jewels (Olympics were in 2012 too) and are a uniting force for the country.

Any minister that tries that is costing their government the next election. You can **** around with healthcare, school, public service funding, numerous laws, but you take away our free sport and you're asking for trouble.

I was driving up to Scotland listening to the Germany game on 5Live.

When Neuer went walkies at the end, there was a hell of a lot of shouting by Chris Sutton and Alistair Bruce Ball.

5Live were then sooooo pleased with themselves that they replayed the recording of all the shouting about 5 times in an hour.

They also read out a lot of tweets from people who had enjoyed the shouting.

Yeah it was funny, but they really pleasured themselves about it.

No need.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

When Neuer went walkies at the end, there was a hell of a lot of shouting by Chris Sutton and Alistair Bruce Ball.

5Live were then sooooo pleased with themselves that they replayed the recording of all the shouting about 5 times in an hour.

No need.

Yeah thought this too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Collymore said:

It's a bit of a silly poll because I'm not going to listen to it on the radio if I'm at home and I'm not going to watch it on TV if I'm in the car!

But when you do watch/listen, which TV channel/radio output do you prefer? What's silly about polling people's opinions?

39 minutes ago, Vacamion said:

No need.

I heard their R5 wankfest and the text/tweet messages they read out glorifying the commentary. It really wasn't that great. Chris Sutton shouting over ABB. Actually it was quite embarrassing. They need to listen to Henry Blofeld's cricket commentaries to get the real understated euphoria when a great moment happens.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

They’re a lot more professional these days and have been for a long time.Most of the stations out there at the minute

Well the last tournament involved Ray Wilkins being taken off air for turning up p***ed on air and he couldn’t commentate on a game from the London bunker 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Well the last tournament involved Ray Wilkins being taken off air for turning up p***ed on air and he couldn’t commentate on a game from the London bunker 

Talksport have got two comentary teams out in Russia and will do the rest off tube to cut costs.This is because they live in the real world where as the bbc live off our hard earned and can afford to over pay the likes of Mark smug ass chapman.Would love to see how they would cope if the license fee was massively cut or abolished 

48 minutes ago, isaidno said:

England have won just 9% of world cup matches on ITV in last 20 years.

wp_ss_20180628_0001.png

Yeah but the one they did win on ITV was against Trinidad and Tobago which is kinda near Columbia so I see that as a good omen for Tuesday :thumbup:

BBC's production is so much better but they ruin it by having too many people on they shouldn't. Pearce, Drogba, Jenas, Murphy, Phil Neville, the women aside from Gabby Logan, all terrible.

ITV obviously have their share of muppets as well but they also have the best pundit (Bilic) and the best commentator duo (Champion & McCoist).

BBC need to do better, especially with their theme tunes, which have gone woefully downhill.

8 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Talksport have got two comentary teams out in Russia and will do the rest off tube to cut costs.This is because they live in the real world where as the bbc live off our hard earned and can afford to over pay the likes of Mark smug ass chapman.Would love to see how they would cope if the license fee was massively cut or abolished 

They have more money than the BBC. 

They are owned by Rupert Murdoch. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They have more money than the BBC. 

They are owned by Rupert Murdoch. 

Talksport are a buisness,if they don’t make a profit there is no more Talksport that is how it is in the real world.That’s why Rupert Murdoch is a very rich man.The BBC however are experts at wasting money.Theres probably more people working for the BBC in Russia than England fans right now.

On 27/06/2018 at 23:46, Parafox said:

But when you do watch/listen, which TV channel/radio output do you prefer? What's silly about polling people's opinions?

Polls are good but your poll hasn't been thought out. TV and radio are totally different animals, obviously.

You needed either multiple polls comparing radio against radio and TV against TV or give the chance to vote more than once. I hate ITV but I'm still going to watch it rather than listening to the radio when I'm at home. 

BBC1 and Talksport for me BTW. 

Edited by Collymore

3 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

Talksport are a buisness,if they don’t make a profit there is no more Talksport that is how it is in the real world.That’s why Rupert Murdoch is a very rich man.The BBC however are experts at wasting money.Theres probably more people working for the BBC in Russia than England fans right now.

Doubt that last line massively mate. The BBC dont operate the cameras recording the match, they're given a feed just like every other international broadcaster of the same images, they send two commentators a match, maybe a couple more like Danny Murphy pitchside and there's probably a dozen handlers and pen pushers at the stadium making sure things run smoothly and to arrange interviews ect. There's not gonna be 1000+ BBC workers in Russia let alone comparing how many England fans there are at the World Cup

On 27/06/2018 at 22:24, Cardiff_Fox said:

Aren’t all but the England games commentated on from a room in London and by watching a TV screen?

On 28/06/2018 at 22:27, Heathrow fox said:

Talksport have got two commentary teams out in Russia and will do the rest off tube to cut costs.

Correct @Heathrow fox

talkSPORT are doing some games off tube ... and it's worth pointing out that 5Live have done some from Salford too

TV companies around the world often have commentators not in the stadium (and often not in the same company) and nobody bats an eyelid but when radio stations do it, it seems to become an issue.

For example, Sky Sports do most La Liga / MLS games from London and BT Sports are the same with most foreign Champions League matches. 

In the past I've commentated on Premier League, Champions League, Europa League games from studios in London for a world feed. Sometimes football league games are done not from the ground for the world feed. It's just the way it is.