Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

James Maddison Confirmed

30 minutes ago, les-tah said:

if we replace Mahrez with only one creative midfielder in Maddison then we will have the problem all over again.

The ideal situation is we replace Mahrez with another quality winger who has similar attributes and he will be able to play with Maddison..

It's not the same problem though. We'll have 2 attacking full backs able to provide assists, and depending on our formation, two midfielders able to move forward with one screening. It depends on our formation, to be honest.

Brilliant video of young lad in this thread.

So...win the league next year, Hirst moves over, win Champions league year after, LCFC provide bulk of England team for 2022 world cup, which we win (again).

I know you won't believe us, I know you won't believe us, were goner win the league.

15 hours ago, YorkshireYellow said:

Hmmm.... that's a tough one and probably over egging / contentious.

Ian Crook was the best player of his generation not to get an England cap, he was Paul Scholes before anybody knew who Paul Scholes was. And Chris Sutton was the countries top scorer and then moved for a British record fee, probably a lot better than his final CV suggested because he fell out with the England setup after refusing a B team call up. He was ridiculously important to Henrik Larsson's legacy at Celtic, without Sutton's intelligence and unselfishness the world probably wouldn't have known that Larsson was World Class..... I heard John Hartson (the backup striker) say that Sutton was the one player he's played with who could genuinely play any position on the pitch, he came through as a centre back and a year later was sold as a striker for a British record fee, finished his career as a 6ft 3 inch centre midfielder.... and to top it off he could have quit football at any stage and become a professional cricket player the next day, there was something special about him. Plus his commentary is hilarious. Probably would have played on at a high standard to about 40 like Sheringham and Dublin if he didn't damage his eye. 

And I think even Norwich fans are forgetting how good Eadie (now 43) was before his first serious injury, and he was on his second by the time he finally moved to Leicester. He was probably the fastest player in the country at 21.... he was Bale level fast but with the ball glued to his feet. He could have gone to the top if he didn't do his knee and he was the left winger that England were crying out for at the time. Medical science has progressed so much since, so if he'd been crocked these days it may not have finished him. Those days you'd get butchered by the surgeon and end up with bone rubbing on bone. 

We turned down offers almost treble what Leicester ended up paying.... because he was crocked by the point he finally left. 

Maddison is the best young player at Carrow Road since Craig Bellamy (now 38 years old), that's what I'd declare.... (ignoring the fact that Harry Kane played a few games, and looked like a League 2 player, so lets ignore short term loanees!). 

He's the best young player we've had since Bellamy, who arguably also didn't fulfill his potential due to knee injuries and falling out with too many people.... and Bellamy still ended up a bit of a Premier League legend who was getting offers to return to the Premier League at 35! 

I reckon if Maddison had a career similar to Bellamy's but with hopefully a few less injuries, and with a few dozen England caps instead of the Wales ones, that will be about right. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a decent England career. 

But then you suddenly remember and then throw the name "Dean Ashton" into the mix and does that change things? He was 22 when he joined us and 23 when he left, does that count as young? Because as a target man it almost certainly does I think? He looked like he was only going to keep on going up when he left us, only to get crocked soon after. He was special too, a big unit but really quick feet and close control... another one of those which leaves you wondering how far they could have gone. 

Maddison belongs in the Premier League and is better than Grealish, lets just say that. That's unanimous. 

Very good post. I too thought that Sutton was hugely underrated. Let's not forget the SAS, Sutton was absolutely vital to all Shearers goals. Sutton was a real powerful and intelligent handful for any defender.

Martin O'Neil had coveted Eadie for a long long time, his injury and premature end to his career was tragic as he had bucket loads of talent. Ashton was also very sad, I think he was the striker England were missing at the time.

Maddison is I feel a huge prospect and I just hope we're patient with him and encourage him to grow his talent with us.

All the best to Norwich next year, a really nice club with very decent welcoming supporters when I've been there.

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Dude, Chris Sutton has signed up to foxestalk. 

Hahaha, well Sutton is a bit full of himself.

But he was a Premier League winner and in a different season a golden boot winner, and developed a great partnership with two world class strikers - Henrik Larsson and Alan Shearer. 

Would have won a few more England caps if he didn't fall out with Glenn Hoddle. Definitely underrated. 

Amazing really that he came through our academy as a centre back and turned into a 25 goal striker which earned him a British record transfer. Went from centre back to being one half of the Premier League winning SAS partnership in a couple of seasons. 

5 hours ago, YorkshireYellow said:

Hahaha, well Sutton is a bit full of himself.

But he was a Premier League winner and in a different season a golden boot winner, and developed a great partnership with two world class strikers - Henrik Larsson and Alan Shearer. 

Would have won a few more England caps if he didn't fall out with Glenn Hoddle. Definitely underrated. 

Amazing really that he came through our academy as a centre back and turned into a 25 goal striker which earned him a British record transfer. Went from centre back to being one half of the Premier League winning SAS partnership in a couple of seasons. 

I loved the days of centre halves converting to strikers or vice versa, Sutton, Ian Marshall and Paul Warhurst did it, not to mention our own legend Steve Walsh who did it for one season nearing his late 20's and scored a shit load up with Speedie and Joachim.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 16:47, YorkshireYellow said:

Ian Crook was the best player of his generation not to get an England cap, he was Paul Scholes before anybody knew who Paul Scholes was. And Chris Sutton was the countries top scorer and then moved for a British record fee, probably a lot better than his final CV suggested because he fell out with the England setup after refusing a B team call up. He was ridiculously important to Henrik Larsson's legacy at Celtic, without Sutton's intelligence and unselfishness the world probably wouldn't have known that Larsson was World Class..... I heard John Hartson (the backup striker) say that Sutton was the one player he's played with who could genuinely play any position on the pitch, he came through as a centre back and a year later was sold as a striker for a British record fee, finished his career as a 6ft 3 inch centre midfielder.... and to top it off he could have quit football at any stage and become a professional cricket player the next day, there was something special about him. Plus his commentary is hilarious. Probably would have played on at a high standard to about 40 like Sheringham and Dublin if he didn't damage his eye. 

And I think even Norwich fans are forgetting how good Eadie (now 43) was before his first serious injury, and he was on his second by the time he finally moved to Leicester. He was probably the fastest player in the country at 21.... he was Bale level fast but with the ball glued to his feet. He could have gone to the top if he didn't do his knee and he was the left winger that England were crying out for at the time. Medical science has progressed so much since, so if he'd been crocked these days it may not have finished him. Those days you'd get butchered by the surgeon and end up with bone rubbing on bone. 

We turned down offers almost treble what Leicester ended up paying.... because he was crocked by the point he finally left. 

Maddison is the best young player at Carrow Road since Craig Bellamy (now 38 years old), that's what I'd declare.... (ignoring the fact that Harry Kane played a few games, and looked like a League 2 player, so lets ignore short term loanees!). 

He's the best young player we've had since Bellamy, who arguably also didn't fulfill his potential due to knee injuries and falling out with too many people.... and Bellamy still ended up a bit of a Premier League legend who was getting offers to return to the Premier League at 35! 

I reckon if Maddison had a career similar to Bellamy's but with hopefully a few less injuries, and with a few dozen England caps instead of the Wales ones, that will be about right. I'd be surprised if he doesn't have a decent England career. 

But then you suddenly remember and then throw the name "Dean Ashton" into the mix and does that change things? He was 22 when he joined us and 23 when he left, does that count as young? Because as a target man it almost certainly does I think? He looked like he was only going to keep on going up when he left us, only to get crocked soon after. He was special too, a big unit but really quick feet and close control... another one of those which leaves you wondering how far they could have gone. 

Maddison belongs in the Premier League and is better than Grealish, lets just say that. That's unanimous. 

Great post. You guys had so many good players at the time. I'm really surprised at how highly you rated Ian Crook. I think he went under the radar by most neutrals 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, foxoffderby said:

Great post. You guys had so many good players at the time. I'm really surprised at how highly you rated Ian Crook. I think he went under the radar by most neutrals 

We should have qualified for Europe 3 times in 5 years, but Liverpool fans messed that up when they got British teams disqualified from European competition due to Heysel. So we only qualified once. 

It all revolved around Crook and his genius string pulling in centre midfield.

He was a tiny skinny little thing who didn't look like he should be a footballer, but he had every pass you can think of in the locker like a little runty Pirlo. 

Four Four Two magazine did a poll when people still bought magazines in 2001 and Ian Crook was voted one of the best players never to have played for England, so unless half of their readership was in Norfolk.... it must have been recognised at the time or a few years after the fact, just long since forgotten. 

Oh and can I tell you what is REALLY annoying? When you are supping a pint in Tenerife or stuck next to some chatty bloke on the train and a fan of some other team says "Oh yeah Norwich, you used to be good" and then they'll reel off the names of a few players. If they are 40 to 50 it is always Bryan Gunn, which is fair enough, then its always bloody Jeremy Goss because he scored a few worldies in really important games, including the last ever goal in front of the original Kop at Anfield and in the game where we were the only British team to ever beat Bayern Munich in their old stadium. 

The thing is.... Goss was actually bang average player who could hardly ever get in our side and hardly ever got picked by Wales, spent most of the time on the be bench and averaged about 15 games a season.... and Ian Crook did over 500 games for us in 11 years I think. 

Annoying as **** that, considering how many brilliant players we actually had between 1985 and 1995, including centre midfielders. Steve Bruce another who should have won England caps.

Mark Bowen was another cracking player for us from that Gunn/Crook/Fox/Sutton era.... Goss was second rate compared with those lot. 

Then the chairman started selling off the family silver, and it all went t*ts up and we've been rubbish ever since. 

Edited by YorkshireYellow
  • Like 1

On 24/06/2018 at 22:38, Canaryvisit said:

Hope this works, this is the video I was talking of above ?

My god he is exceptional isn't he. I'm seriously excited to see what he can do for us. That finish at 4:24 is absolutely absurd for someone of that age.

One step at a time but I reckon if he did properly adapt to the PL and carried any kind of form over that he's shown previously he could not only play for England, but be quite key for them - England do not produce many players with that kind of invention.

Quality. Buzzing to see him play.

• Like 1

On 28/06/2018 at 16:47, YorkshireYellow said:

If there's one thing I've learnt from that it's that he's likely to end up hindered by injury lol 

On 29/06/2018 at 19:32, Grebfromgrebland said:

So what you're saying is that he's going to have a career limiting injury now that he's left Norwich?

We have had an alarming number of great young players who had career ending injuries early in their career to be honest. 

Eadie and Ashton would have got a fair number of England caps. 

Another one was Keith O'Neill who had some magic in his boots, had some weird degenerative bone disease which left him with a spine like an 80 year old and he had to quit. At one stage he had some very big clubs watching him. 

Sort of inevitable with pace merchants like Bellamy though, obvious that they always end up getting a cruciate injury which slows them down a bit.... same with Michael Owen, etc. Just almost always happens. 

On 01/07/2018 at 15:07, EnderbyFox said:

I wouldn't be rushing him back that's for sure But I haven't been as excited about a young player for a very long time.

If he can avoid the injuries he;s going to have a very big career with us.

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 18:16, Ric Flair said:

I loved the days of centre halves converting to strikers or vice versa, Sutton, Ian Marshall and Paul Warhurst did it, not to mention our own legend Steve Walsh who did it for one season nearing his late 20's and scored a shit load up with Speedie and Joachim.

Didn't Shearer start off as a CB at Southampton, too?

16 hours ago, deep blue said:

Didn't Shearer start off as a CB at Southampton, too?

I think he started as an oompa lumpa the way he used his effin' elbows....great scoring record though.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, norwichfox said:

I think he started as an oompa lumpa the way he used his effin' elbows....great scoring record though.

Used to really like him and respect the way he chose his team over glory.

Then he blatantly volleyed Neil Lennon in the face and nothing happened from the F.A. I don't even think he apologized so he was a good finisher who won **** all, and then he went bald. The end.

On 06/07/2018 at 02:58, YorkshireYellow said:

We have had an alarming number of great young players who had career ending injuries early in their career to be honest. 

Eadie and Ashton would have got a fair number of England caps. 

Another one was Keith O'Neill who had some magic in his boots, had some weird degenerative bone disease which left him with a spine like an 80 year old and he had to quit. At one stage he had some very big clubs watching him. 

Sort of inevitable with pace merchants like Bellamy though, obvious that they always end up getting a cruciate injury which slows them down a bit.... same with Michael Owen, etc. Just almost always happens. 

Keith O’Neil I remember him . Look a great player. And who was that great midfielder who everyone forgets played for you Garth crooks. :ph34r:

On a more serious note keep Kasper and harry . And I’m backing us for top four there I’ve said it . Lose them be happy with top ten . And let’s all give the lad a chance to settle and get fit . Will probably be a slow start from the bench . Will now start every week and be amazing ? 

Edited by waylander

On 07/07/2018 at 01:55, waylander said:

Keith O’Neil I remember him . Look a great player. And who was that great midfielder who everyone forgets played for you Garth crooks. :ph34r:

Keith O'Neil was really talented but only played about 120 games in his whole career I think. Fell out with managers (including at Norwich) who thought he used to pretend to be injured or injure himself on purpose to avoid playing. 

Eventually Bryan Robson at Middlesbrough got the doctors at Man Utd to have a look at him, when they were miles ahead in medical science and every other club was stuck in the dark ages.... they told him he had a spine like an old lady and that was causing his constant injuries. Some degenerative bone disease or something, a strange one. 

Just read an interview with Ruel Fox by the way, and he says this about Ian Crook!....

"In my day, Ian Crook at Norwich was very underrated. He didn't quote make it at Spurs and came to Norwich. Everything went through him in the middle of the park. He smoked about 30 fags a day and drank about eight cans of fizzy Coke a day, but he could play football. As a winger, you knew you could make a run and he would find you. He could hit a pass perfectly.:thumbup:

• Like 1