Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest seanfox778

UEFA Champions League 2018/19

56 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Can see why the lino doesnt wave his flag just yet , if its doesnt deflect off Bernardo then he's stopped play no for no reason.

In real time I assumed its was directly through from the Spurs player as I was surprised Aguero wasnt flagged the first time and sadly though the goal was good.

Tough call but the lino probably thought its better to let play continue and check after than flag when it wasnt clear if the ball was from a Man City or Spurs player.

I think that is the direction linesmen have been given. It looked like Aguero was "clearly" offside but I couldn't make out if the ball was kicked by the Spurs or City player (I was watching on my phone!).

6 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

Spurs have just spent nearly a billion on their new stadium and Liverpool have a net spend of £130 million this season on transfers!  They aren't exactly Cardiff City in terms of spending!

But Spurs are not Man.city.Manutd,Chelsea,arsenal or L'pool. Plus I like L'pool so they can do what they like!!!:P

Stadium spend doesn't count.....according also to many posters on this forum.!!:D

So sniping at non-issues fall on the stonies....!

47 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

I think that is the direction linesmen have been given. It looked like Aguero was "clearly" offside but I couldn't make out if the ball was kicked by the Spurs or City player (I was watching on my phone!).

• In that case..why the fk!!!  Didn't you give a  call to the linesman...:dunno:

31 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

Considering Spurs had 1 point after 3 games and they're in the semi final, you have to take your hat off to them. 

Saying that, all Ajax aren't we?

2 minutes ago, Fightforever said:

Ajax will tear them apart so who cares anyway

We said that about Dortmund and Man City...

Ifs buts and maybe though to think it all stemmed back to Inter messing up their last group game at home to PSV...

8 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I do think Tottenham got quite lucky tonight but shit happens. They were bound to have one of these fall their way. Just had to be tonight rather than that Liverpool game didn't it?

The biggest farce is the Llorente goal and the lack of angles the referee looked from. The one that we all saw on BT numerous times was inconclusive, you couldn't actually tell the ball hit his arm, you were guessing. The angle that is posted above proves it did in-fact hit his arm - why was the referee not privvy to this?

Do agree with the point about VAR being a slippery slope too. The ultimate highs and euphoria of football is scoring a goal. You're going to lose a lot of that now and no matter what, nobody will convince me that celebrating again after initially celebrating with doubt is anything close to the euphoria that you get from goals now. It's a huge change to the sport and a massive gamble.

You've got to question Man City. They're routinely poor in Europe, two years in a row they've gone out to a team they will finish comfortably ahead of in the league and they frequently seem to give themselves far too much to do. If it was a League Cup semi final against Tottenham I'd be confident of them progressing but I always had a doubt in this.

An extraordinary game of football though. Game of the season.

If that Llorente goal is ever disallowed, then football has lost the plot. The goal was clearly scored with his thigh/hip/arse. You needed about 500 angles and replays to even see that it may have touched his arm, I think it did, but his arm was leaning into his body and didn't change the direction (and most importantly, wasn't used to score). Pretty much agree with what st albans fox was saying. For me, the goal was fine and should count.

VAR is improving the game and making it fairer. Imagine if VAR was not available, Spurs would be out and it would have been unjustified. I see the point about the high and lows of excitement, but yesterday was an extreme example.

Anyway, the final will be Liverpool vs Ajax. Also aided by Son missing the first leg with suspension. Spurs have down well to get out after being close to elimination, then facing a Dortmund side that are poor in the second half of the season. Man City messed up in the first leg by taking it too easy. Pep continues to fail in big games and that is his biggest flaw. I watched the games as a Munich fan and it was the same thing, dominate the league but 3 successive semis in the CL, always failing at that stage. It's now happened three times at quarter stage for Man City. There is something he is not doing right at the latter stages of the season.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Personally hope for a Spurs vs Liverpool final and a Chelsea vs Arsenal final.

I'd be happy with that. Hopefully then spurs bottle it, Liverpool get Europe but NOT the prem.

Chelsea beat Arse.

Man city get the prem and the FA Cup

We get 7th.

Pep has been a massive failure in the Champions League for Man City. he was brought in specifically by their owners to win it and he has failed miserably. he may be a fantastic coach but he made mistakes which led to Man City's downfall against Spurs. absolutely incredible game to watch for the neutral. I am just grateful we don't have to hear endless crowing about them doing the quadruple.

12 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

Pep has been a massive failure in the Champions League for Man City. he was brought in specifically by their owners to win it and he has failed miserably. he may be a fantastic coach but he made mistakes which led to Man City's downfall against Spurs. absolutely incredible game to watch for the neutral. I am just grateful we don't have to hear endless crowing about them doing the quadruple.

Same happened in 3 years at Munich, 3 CL semis but never made that next step. I think the squad rotation costs him in the end. See first leg against Spurs, some key players that could have made the difference.

6 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Dates of ties confirmed:

Tue 30/04 Spurs vs Ajax

Wed 01/05 Barca vs Liverpool

Tue 07/05 Liverpool vs Barca

Wed 08/05 Ajax vs Spurs

Why do Spurs and Ajax get the extra two days?

46 minutes ago, foxy boxing said:

I'm a big Pep fan, I think he's frankly a genius in footballing terms. As a manager he's much like he was as a player, he reads space just sensationally well. 

But one thing that's really struck me over his time at City is him constantly criticising the club and the squad when it comes to Europe. I think in his own mind he's perhaps trying to lower expectations because he wants to take pressure off them.

But all he's really doing is hyping up the difference between Europe and the Prem, telling them they're basically not good enough. I'd shrug and say he knows best (he almost certainly knows a lot more than we do!) except for the fact they consistently fail to deliver in Europe. 

They almost seem to panic against teams they should be beating.

The champions league is insanely over hyped, its much easier than the Premier League is at the moment. This year, to win the league, City have to play Liverpool, Chelsea, United, Tottenham and Arsenal all twice each, all of whom would expect to get to the knock out stages of Europe. 

Even your Burnleys and Brighton are infinitely better than the muck you get in the group stage. It always confused me people honestly thought Leicester would struggle to get out of a group containing Brugge and FCK. They're like ****ing Championship teams at absolute best. The FA Cup is harder than the earlier stages of Europe. 

You'd absolutely never get Mourinho doing this in the early stages of his career, he'd never have gone to Porto and Inter and told his players they were never going to win it because they're not mature enough as a club. He'd have gone there, told his team they were invincible, built up a solid, winning, killer mentality. Pep's telling his boys they're all weak. 

I think it's genuinely significant that as good as he is at domestic management, he's only won the thing as the overwhelming favourite. 

37 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Why do Spurs and Ajax get the extra two days?

It happens every knockout round. One set of fixtures are Tuesday and the following Wednesday (8 days if one week apart) and the other set are Wednesday then Tuesday (6 days if one week apart). No idea why it has been done like that.

Either way, doesn't matter as Liverpool and Barcelona both have 6 days between the fixtures and Spurs and Ajax both have 8 days between games. Same for both in a fixture.

Yesterday's game was probably one of the most incredible and intense games I have seen for a long time, which had everything. 

Even though there is a dislike to spurs from me, I think I enjoy seeing man city go out even more as they are quite simply an amazing side. 

7 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Pep seems to struggle tactically over 2 legs, particularly defensively. Can't concede as many goals as they have against Monaco, Liverpool and now Spurs in the knockout stages and expect to get through. 

I think his tactical struggle is the fact he leaves himself with too much to do after the first leg. Doesn't take it serious enough.

5 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I think his tactical struggle is the fact he leaves himself with too much to do after the first leg. Doesn't take it serious enough.

He seems to be too extreme in his approach in first legs. Away at anfield last season they were too open and away at spurs they were too defensive.