Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Southampton (A) pre match

7 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

May sound silly after the weekends performace, but I think we’ve re-developed that soft under belly big Nige managed to get rid of, and it’s games like this that I fear we will be easily pushed over, we look good at times, but then often we make some bizarre decisions and simple mistakes, that’s my only concern at this stage, which makes this a very difficult fixture, I’d be more than happy with a point. 

We have bulldozers in midfield in Ndidi & Mendy. And we have a work horse on the right in Albrighton.  Our defenders do like to carry the ball though so I see what you mean.

It's weird that our defenders have more technical ability than our midfielders

Edited by Koke

38 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

May sound silly after the weekends performace, but I think we’ve re-developed that soft under belly big Nige managed to get rid of, and it’s games like this that I fear we will be easily pushed over, we look good at times, but then often we make some bizarre decisions and simple mistakes, that’s my only concern at this stage, which makes this a very difficult fixture, I’d be more than happy with a point. 

We've had it since Hull away 2 years ago- we conceded for fun last season.

The defensive reinforcements and quality added to control games more should reduce it to a certain extent.

37 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Despite their start the saints are better than last season. They have a pretty decent strike force now, give either Austin or Ings a sniff at goal and they will take it. Tougher test than wolves as they won’t fanny around with the ball and will more than likely get it into the box quickly. Good early test for our defence though... 

The soft under belly was present in Pearsons first season in the premier league where we’d play well and get sucker punched losing 1-0 (Palace, West Brom etc). It also re appeared in Claudio’s second season where we’d have been beaten by any of the 91 football league teams, we were that bad. 

The way we defended vs wolves, how does that suggest we’ve become soft? Stupid statement. 

13 minutes ago, OhYesNdidi said:

The soft under belly was present in Pearsons first season in the premier league where we’d play well and get sucker punched losing 1-0 (Palace, West Brom etc). It also re appeared in Claudio’s second season where we’d have been beaten by any of the 91 football league teams, we were that bad. 

The way we defended vs wolves, how does that suggest we’ve become soft? Stupid statement. 

Not really a stupid statement at all. United were awful against us yes still managed to beat us, albeit one goal was a penalty. Wolves on the other hand were presented with a few decent opportunities, the shot that hits the bar and the one cleared off the line go in, and it would have been good night Vienna. We were not by any stretch brilliant against Wolves and our midfield was guilty of not taking control of the game, as Puel said, we were lucky to win. There’s something uneasy about us, and a side like Southampton could quite easily put us to bed if we make some of the same silly errors we did against Wolves. It’s still early days but there’s still something not quite right with the squad, there’s a subtle imbalance somewhere, and that mixed with a change in style could come back to haunt us. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Not really a stupid statement at all. United were awful against us yes still managed to beat us, albeit one goal was a penalty. Wolves on the other hand were presented with a few decent opportunities, the shot that hits the bar and the one cleared off the line go in, and it would have been good night Vienna. We were not by any stretch brilliant against Wolves and our midfield was guilty of not taking control of the game, as Puel said, we were lucky to win. There’s something uneasy about us, and a side like Southampton could quite easily put us to bed if we make some of the same silly errors we did against Wolves. It’s still early days but there’s still something not quite right with the squad, there’s a subtle imbalance somewhere, and that mixed with a change in style could come back to haunt us. 

Too much rotation perhaps? I expect we'll be consistent over the choice of striker for the next couple of games

8 minutes ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

When we played Manchester United away In 15/16 we could have been 2/3 down before we scored, spurs away as well. I assume you meant we’ve still got a soft underbelly and your concerned? We’ve had 3 managers before puel so it seems quite hard to change, you can’t blame puel without relieving responsibility to the other 3 who came before him. 

1 minute ago, norwichfox said:

Too much rotation perhaps? I expect we'll be consistent over the choice of striker for the next couple of games

Perhaps, I think the main thing is Puel doesn’t know what his best central midfield partnership is. I think it’s agreed N’didi is the first name on the team sheet, but then you’ve got a choice of Mendy, Silva and Iborra. He does need to stick with a pairing for a bit to see how they cope, at the moment I think that’s largely where the issue lies... and I do fear that we will struggle to score plenty of goals too, ordinarily it’s not been a problem for us, but I think Puel is the kind of manager to see us nick a goal and see the game out. It’s going to be interesting to see how we develop over the opening months, but I think Pule is still trying to find his best 11, as many are throughout the league at this stage, but there is anxiety waiting to over flow from sections of our fan base if we start to wobble. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, La-li-lu-le-lo said:

Perhaps, I think the main thing is Puel doesn’t know what his best central midfield partnership is. I think it’s agreed N’didi is the first name on the team sheet, but then you’ve got a choice of Mendy, Silva and Iborra. He does need to stick with a pairing for a bit to see how they cope, at the moment I think that’s largely where the issue lies... and I do fear that we will struggle to score plenty of goals too, ordinarily it’s not been a problem for us, but I think Puel is the kind of manager to see us nick a goal and see the game out. It’s going to be interesting to see how we develop over the opening months, but I think Pule is still trying to find his best 11, as many are throughout the league at this stage, but there is anxiety waiting to over flow from sections of our fan base if we start to wobble. 

I guess the advantage of having a pre season was lost to the world cup "stragglers" not being available, and, as you say, he still has to work out his best CM partnership is, same with the back line too. I'm pleased Puel wasn't shown the door, as I am more optimistic regarding our future than I have been for many years.

5 minutes ago, norwichfox said:

I guess the advantage of having a pre season was lost to the world cup "stragglers" not being available, and, as you say, he still has to work out his best CM partnership is, same with the back line too. I'm pleased Puel wasn't shown the door, as I am more optimistic regarding our future than I have been for many years.

I am optimistic too, don’t get me wrong. We will be more than okay this season, I just think that at times we will have the odd game this year where our opposition have a comfortable afternoon... but I think we’re building a very decent side for the future, the younger players will need off days in order to gain the experience needed to harden up. 

Happy with either:

Schmeical

Pereira Maguire Evans Chilwell

Ndidi Mendy

Gray Maddison Albrighton

Nacho

Or:

Schmeical

Amartey Maguire Evans

Pereira  Ndidi Mendy Chilwell

Maddison Gray

Nacho

Wouldn't be greatly offended if Okazaki came straight in for Gray in the bottom one giving him and Maddison behind Nacho and the wingbacks for the width but can't see that happening. 

• Like 1

Nacho had a very good pre-season and I think he'll really want to get a goal or two to show that wasn't just pre-season form and that he can carry it on in the PL. Hopefully anyway, I'd keep the team the same but just swap Nacho in for Vards.

16 minutes ago, smr said:

Nacho had a very good pre-season and I think he'll really want to get a goal or two to show that wasn't just pre-season form and that he can carry it on in the PL. Hopefully anyway, I'd keep the team the same but just swap Nacho in for Vards.

Pretty much agreed. Would like to see Mendy get another run. 

1 hour ago, dynamark said:

I cant see where Okazaki gets his chance in prem games tbh.Im sure Madison if fit gets on the sheet first.

He'll possibly be on the bench for this one, and might come in as a late sub if we're looking to close the match out. His pressing can still be useful to us, and he loves to make runs which could open some space up.

On 19/08/2018 at 06:01, TonyN11 said:

Ghezzal or Diabate as left-sided players would give us more balance as Gray and Albrighton are both very right-footed 

Fine with Gray on the right, especially when we get Harvey Barnes back, he likes the left. That would be quite the pairing, esp with Chilwell in support, and Pereira behind Gray. Watching Barnes attack for West Brom vs. QPR was a real joy, the lad is ready to try the Prem: http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/11475864/west-brom-7-1-qpr

On 18/08/2018 at 12:07, Hammo said:

Nacho in for Vardy. Obviously.

Mendy to keep his place alongside Ndidi. Obviously.

Because Ricardo and Chilwell are so dangerous bombing forward and tailor-made for the wing back role, there must be a temptation for Puel to go with three at the back (with Caglar, if fit, alongside Evans and Maguire) and drop Albrighton, with Gray and Maddison playing off Nacho.

Thst's how I'd like to see us line up for this one, which i feel is a very winnable fixture.

Just don't know about Evans. People seem to think he straightened out in the 2H, but I thought the wings got pulled 2H as Wolves changed strategy. Which would suggest a 3 at the back with Evans might be a bit of a 'mare unless we play him in the middle. Perhaps that would work, Maguire -- Evans -- Caglar. Though I am not at all convinced Evans should be playing over Morgan at this point, I haven't seen Morgan look as obviously bad as Evans did for a loooong time. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Good, I was getting bored of it if I'm honest. 

....no reason why we cant mix it up. A ball over the top would be a good weapon to go with the passing game. We pass for the sake of passing at times and it will be a matter of time until we get the right balance.

The final ball seems to be our problem and I do not think we have the players upfront with the skills in tight situation to get the ball out from under their feet and create the opening for a shot on target. With all the pluses so far we do not register enough shots on target, we need to mix it up. Vardy's rash outburst was due to lack of service, it does not have to be, we can mix it up but this is not the vision of Puel, which then leaves the unanswered problem of how Vardy fits in this team.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

....no reason why we cant mix it up. A ball over the top would be a good weapon to go with the passing game. We pass for the sake of passing at times and it will be a matter of time until we get the right balance.

The final ball seems to be our problem and I do not think we have the players upfront with the skills in tight situation to get the ball out from under their feet and create the opening for a shot on target. With all the pluses so far we do not register enough shots on target, we need to mix it up. Vardy's rash outburst was due to lack of service, it does not have to be, we can mix it up but this is not the vision of Puel, which then leaves the unanswered problem of how Vardy fits in this team.

lol he could score own goals and people would blame someone else.