Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Koke

Southampton (A) pre match

Interested to see if Mendy can not only match his decent performance of last week, but actually improve too. I think he looked nervy at times and made some bizarre passes. The weekend should have given him a real confidence boost though and hopefully we will see at Southampton an even better showing from him. 

Iheanacho has to take his chance too. He knows he has 3 games to make a real impact now. I think he is capable, but has to work his socks off. 

45 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

we will win this and mark poos will bitch and moan like normal

god he's an insufferable ****

I'm fairly confident too on this one. Just think Puel can out think Hughes with ease. 

I can't stand Hughes, so will be delightful if we can hammer them 3-0 or so.

Interested to see Elyounoussi though, as would have liked him here 

5 hours ago, zealot said:

What happened? Surely his pace would be useful...

He’s looked way off, a shadow of the player who finished last season ahead of Gray. Don’t know why.

i suspect he’ll play in the League Cup, and might make the bench while Vardy’s suspended. But he’s 4th choice wide player at the moment 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steve Earle said:

You wouldn't if you'd seen him in pre-season or in last night's game!

Everyone was poor tbf but then he was as poor as the u23s. I think he's had a confudence knock. He's regressed from last season.

• Like 1

I'm really interested in how we'll line up for the next three games.

Mahrez has gone, Vardy suspended, Wes seemingly dropped. With the likes of Chilwell, Gray, Ndidi, Maguire, Ricardo, Madders and Iheanacho, plus a couple of new defenders in the mix with Ghezzal and Diabate too, there is a real feel of evolution to the squad.  We have some really exciting young talent with a strong spine to the team and this game could give a real sense of what's to come for the next two or three years or more.

This is an important game.  It's winnable and come the end of the season, I don't want to miss out on Europe due to dropping points when we could be winning.

We have the pace and talent to beat Southampton, we should be all over them.

• Like 1

It just crossed my mind that this will be the first time in a very long time that we go into a Premier League game without Vardy, Mahrez or Kante our three stars during our most amazing season. Despite that, I am still confident! When I look at the Southampton side, I'm not sure any of their players would get into our team. Maybe Bertrand over Chilwell based purely on experience (though Ben is improving all the time and soon will be better IMO) and though Romeu is a good player, Ndidi is better than him and had Ruben Neves in his back pocket for most of Saturday's game.

You shouldn't take any team for granted in the Premier League and we certainly won't take Southampton lightly, but if both teams play to the potential, then our team is better and should win. Hughes had a good record against us as Stoke manager being the king of the 2-2 draw, but this Southampton side has been struggling for quite a while since not properly replacing or reinvesting money from the Van Dijk, Fonte, Lallana, Pelle and Mane sales. In fact I feel for their fans because they've gone from having a really vibrant and exciting side when managed by Pochetino and Koeman to a team that looks like it will struggle and it's mainly because their board has been greedy and not reinvested that money into the team. We might have lost Mahrez, but we made a lot of signings this summer and many of them already look to be good ones, with Maddison and Ricardo looking great.

• Like 3

A game we should fancy ourselves in really, although you get the feeling that Southampton won't quite be such pushovers this year. There aren't many goals in them, though, and I think we can win this one in midfield.

A huge one for Iheanacho. Must be pretty horrific being compared to Vardy every week, but he needs to give us something here – even if it's just linking up well with others around him. He's just not got anywhere near the same presence as Vardy, so we need to be playing higher up to get him involved.

By any means will do anyway – nobody wants to see that soul-sucking bag of wind in the other dugout with a smile on his face.

Last week we did not play at all to suit Vardy essentially the balls went to Madison shorter first rather than OTT to Vardy which is no doubt partly why he got the ump.

Puel is not playing the old Citeh way and jury is out .Nacho gets the chance a lot more short passes and flick ons so we will have to see what the outcome is.

Ball over the top seems to be history.

3 hours ago, dynamark said:

Last week we did not play at all to suit Vardy essentially the balls went to Madison shorter first rather than OTT to Vardy which is no doubt partly why he got the ump.

Puel is not playing the old Citeh way and jury is out .Nacho gets the chance a lot more short passes and flick ons so we will have to see what the outcome is.

Ball over the top seems to be history.

Rubbish. The space was behind Neves and Moutinho and balls played behind those two were going to cause damage. Any ball over the top would have been easily moped up by the 3 CBs. This isn’t like the rainieri or Shakespeare teams where all they did was knock it over the top, we are more flexible now. 

Edited by OhYesNdidi

15 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'd take a point

Southampton are at home,they too are rebuilding...Hughes will be hurt and will have learnt from his experiences.

I don't like his "blame" tactics,and that sort of approach can bite back.

I actually believe it he can't get Southampton in top 12,and they can't turn a performance,he will join the slag heap of Managers pool,

Who will get forgotten by PL clubs.....but Personally I do think he has got it in himself to be a good PL-manager.

I can't predict this one..... Both fan bases,crying out for stabilty,and team consistency,and hoping for a comfortable top 10,

with an eye on that chase for that 7-5th spot,plus any welcoming great cup run.

This is early season,where 2good clubs have players dying this season to make and collect  "now" their career points.

The team that squeezes that extra 5%, takes the points....

Me... if we take a point,we would of done well. Though again it's the performance I want to see,plus how we play without Vardy.

Can Nacho,Maddison,Gray,Chilwell,help us to forget the need of our last legend...

• Like 1

If we get overrun in the first 15 minutes again. Or it takes a break in play, as with Lille and Wolves, to get us playing well, we may suffer.

But if our team and tactics have settled, if our cb partnership is solid, if we can find Madders, and Iheanacho finds confidence and form, I'd hope we get something.

Despite their start the saints are better than last season. They have a pretty decent strike force now, give either Austin or Ings a sniff at goal and they will take it. Tougher test than wolves as they won’t fanny around with the ball and will more than likely get it into the box quickly. Good early test for our defence though... 

May sound silly after the weekends performace, but I think we’ve re-developed that soft under belly big Nige managed to get rid of, and it’s games like this that I fear we will be easily pushed over, we look good at times, but then often we make some bizarre decisions and simple mistakes, that’s my only concern at this stage, which makes this a very difficult fixture, I’d be more than happy with a point.