Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frost

Morgan

45 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Four CB's is ample unless we get into Europe. 

The 5th choice CB can be covered by the best youngster or Amartey. Our five CB's at the moment either are on £60k+ a week or cost £10m+, that's overkill IMO. 

Wes won't be on that and didnt cost that and neither did Benny. Amartey will be right back cover. A couple of injuries and we'd be massively short, Europe or no Europe.

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

If Morgan is offered a new deal then it won’t have anything to do with Puel - he will say all the right things but Puel would rather promote the younger players 

tbh, a new contract for Wes probably reflects the fact maguire is defo leaving 

Where exactly is Maguire going to?

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Why do we need 5? 

Because it's good practice. 

How many times have Was, Fuchs and Benny ended up covering that position in the past because of loads of injuries or suspensions. 

It will not be Wes blocking progression, it will be the manager deciding he's still first choice.

With two young purchases it makes no sense to think about using a youth teamer as fifth choice. If they are good enough then they should be on loan rather than fifth choice.

Chucking a decent player in the bin makes no sense. Make him club captain, move him down the pecking order and progress the two youngsters.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Because it's good practice. 

How many times have Was, Fuchs and Benny ended up covering that position in the past because of loads of injuries or suspensions. 

It will not be Wes blocking progression, it will be the manager deciding he's still first choice.

With two young purchases it makes no sense to think about using a youth teamer as fifth choice. If they are good enough then they should be on loan rather than fifth choice.

Chucking a decent player in the bin makes no sense. Make him club captain, move him down the pecking order and progress the two youngsters.

I do get what you are saying and totally agree with your last sentence IF he is pushed down the pecking order, but that hasnt been the case in the past.

I would have preferred to have seen more of Soyncu as he is the way forward in terms of age and Morgan to have taken more of a back step this season, which tbh most of us were expecting when we recruited Evans, Soyuncu and Benkovic in the summer. 

• Like 1

if Wes accepts a much lower wage than he's currently on and understands he won't be starting there won't be a problem, I actually hope he gets a better offer elsewhere and chooses to leave, otherwise I fear Wes will still be starting week in week out Christmas 2019

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I do get what you are saying and totally agree with your last sentence IF he is pushed down the pecking order, but that hasnt been the case in the past.

I would have preferred to have seen more of Soyncu as he is the way forward in terms of age and Morgan to have taken more of a back step this season, which tbh most of us were expecting when we recruited Evans, Soyuncu and Benkovic in the summer. 

:appl:Me too.  I was so pleased when we recruited the two youngsters and expected to see then both given some game time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

You'd rather Amartey fill in than wes Morgan are you mental?

4 hours ago, Babylon said:

Wes won't be on that and didnt cost that and neither did Benny. Amartey will be right back cover. A couple of injuries and we'd be massively short, Europe or no Europe.

I'm actually asking a question that I don't know the answer to but who are the top six teams 5th choice CB's?  I'd be surprised if at least half of them have a better 5th choice CB than us and they expect to be playing at least 15 games a season more than us. 

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Babylon said:

We have zero idea off how good Soyuncu or Benkovic actually are though. 

It's Iheanacho, Slimani, Silva, Must all over again. Screaming for players to start and be ahead of x, y and z other players. Then it turns out they are shit... we just don't know yet. Shakespeare got absolutely slaughtered by many for not starting Iheanacho, I'd wager it's the same people calling him shit now. 

As it stands those two could be worse than bottom 6 5th choice centre back. That's another reason for absolutely having 5 centre backs next season. 6 clean sheets in 11 for Wes, just beat Chelsea away and we're advocating getting rid of him. Mental. 

You are forgetting his two red cards.  Wes will be 36 next season, will he be the oldest player in the EPL?  We have better options.

2 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

You are forgetting his two red cards.  Wes will be 36 next season, will he be the oldest player in the EPL?  We have better options.

No I'm not forgetting them, frankly they were soft IMO. Especially the first one. 

36? Good if that's the case. Again, I believe we need 5 centre backs. It makes sense to have one of them as an older player seeing their career out as they know they can't start all the time. We also have no idea how good the other two are yet do we. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrsJohnMurphy said:

Has he? Not to me, seems like he's stepped up to the challenge once again. Much better than Maguire yesterday.

Oh dont get me wrong, he has stepped up for sure, but what i was referring too was, pretty much all of us were expecting Wes to be taking a back seat this season based on purchasing Evans and then on the last day of the window also bringing in Benkovic and Soyunco.

And have to disagree that he was better than Maguire. Wes is a great defender and puts his heart and soul on the line, i have no problem with him playing but his overall play was not better than Maguire yesterday. :D 

7 hours ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I agree with you in essence Suzie but I always think you should play your best player regardless of age (young or old). After a shakey start, Wes has in fairness played really well against all the odds. Puel has noticeably been slow to introduce Soyuncu presumably for a reason and in fairness, the first game I saw him I could understand why. He's being careful I think as the Premiership and our supporters can be quite unforgiving. In all honesty I'd have to say on defending alone,  Wes and Evans seem to be the most solid and who'd ever would have even suggested that some time ago.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

We will need 5 centre backs, so what do people propose. We let Wes go and buy another, or we promote a youth teamed who won't play, won't be able to go on loan and we stagnate them as well.

Just had a look at the top four clubs in the PL 5th choice CB's.

Liverpool and Tottenham don't have one in their first team squad. Man City have Sandler who hasn't played any minutes this season and Chelsea have Ampadu who has played 117 mins in the Europa Cup this season.

i don't mind if we kept Morgan as he has played well this season but we have paid over £30m for two young centre halves in Soyuncu and Benkovic, paid a fair whack including contract for Evana and we have Maguire. All five should not be here next season. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Jimmy said:

if Wes accepts a much lower wage than he's currently on and understands he won't be starting there won't be a problem, I actually hope he gets a better offer elsewhere and chooses to leave, otherwise I fear Wes will still be starting week in week out Christmas 2019

Why should he accept or understand that he won’t be starting? He’s been our best centre half this year. I really don’t get what goes through some people’s brain sometimes, or why they feel they have to go against the grain. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Just had a look at the top four clubs in the PL 5th choice CB's.

Liverpool and Tottenham don't have one in their first team squad. Man City have Sandler who hasn't played any minutes this season and Chelsea have Ampadu who has played 117 mins in the Europa Cup this season.

i don't mind if we kept Morgan as he has played well this season but we have paid over £30m for two young centre halves in Soyuncu and Benkovic, paid a fair whack including contract for Evana and we have Maguire. All five should not be here next season. 

Maguire won’t be. 

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

We have zero idea off how good Soyuncu or Benkovic actually are though. 

It's Iheanacho, Slimani, Silva, Must all over again. Screaming for players to start and be ahead of x, y and z other players. Then it turns out they are shit... we just don't know yet. Shakespeare got absolutely slaughtered by many for not starting Iheanacho, I'd wager it's the same people calling him shit now. 

As it stands those two could be worse than bottom 6 5th choice centre back. That's another reason for absolutely having 5 centre backs next season. 6 clean sheets in 11 for Wes, just beat Chelsea away and we're advocating getting rid of him. Mental. 

Sometimes I think we have to have a bit of trust in the people that are around these young players every day coupled with their experience of working with young players in the past. You can bet your life that if these young lads had been absolutely ready for the first team, Puel and his staff would have been gagging to get them on the pitch, after all, they have shown a willingness to play youth. As you say, certain supporters on here have screamed for the inclusion of certain players but this has largely been based on curiosity and supposition as opposed to knowledge and experience.

It should be good news and to be celebrated that, when others have been injured or suspended, against popular opinion, Morgan has had a renaissance and risen to the challenge,  how brilliant is that!  Some just hate to acknowledge it. Yes, we and he recognise that he's towards the end of his career but we also need to recognise and appreciate good performances even if it doesn't fit our agenda. Puel, against criticism persisted with Chilwell. After a shakey start he persisted with Pereira. More game time has been given  to Gray and Maddison has invarioubly been ever present. He's slowly introducing,  at his discretion, both Soyuncu and Chowdhury when and where he deems it appropriate, I feel sure there are reasons for this. Barnes and Benkovic should be back for next pre season, these are all exciting young prospects but, don't let's throw the baby out with the bath water, the likes of Wes, Evans and Vardy have a lot to offer these young lads. 

• Like 1