Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Frost

Morgan

6 minutes ago, Frost said:

Looked well past his best today in my opinion. He may well be our title-winning captain but it's time for him to either sit on the bench or move on.

Hopefully Söyüncü will step up or Evans when either are actually fit.

You can't say stuff like this, it upsets people. Give him some respect!!

personally i think we should honour him with another contract.

Edited by Matt
  • Haha 2

35 minutes ago, Frost said:

Looked well past his best today in my opinion. He may well be our title-winning captain but it's time for him to either sit on the bench or move on.

Hopefully Söyüncü will step up or Evans when either are actually fit.

Evans isn't fit? I thought he wasn't being played because he's another word that rhymes with fit...

11 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Seriously though, what's going on with Evans?

Against Wolves he was so far off the pace in the first half it was embarrassing. The fact that Morgan has been brought back in for the last 2 league games shows how bad Evans was.  Although against Southampton I actually thought Morgan played well.

Edited by Drew Peacock
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Drew Peacock said:

Against Wolves he was so far off the pace in the first half it was embarrassing. The fact that Morgan has been brought back in for the last 2 league games shows how bad Evans was. 

And the defence of Morgan last year was? When Dragov.....

...You know what, i'm not even going there! There is no point.

Edited by Matt

He’s adjusting his game and backing off more and more which just invites trouble. We need him out of the team as a starter. Annoys me how he gets away with poor games yet any replacement can’t put a foot wrong without being consigned to the bench next game 

• Like 1

I thought he was poor yesterday - as much with the ball as while defending; on one occasion just after Ghezzal had scored I remember us being ready to turn and go at them again, he played a hospital ball to Mendy who got taken out trying to recover it and mane raced away, fortunately losing it for a goal kick. Still not as bad as Evans was v Wolves though.

Wes is a legend and he has been absolutely outstanding in his time here and I am a massive fan BUT his legs have gone hence his nervousness on the ball. His lack of pace is a sign of age and he looks petrified when he receives the ball to feet which in the CP system is key that the centre half's can play - sadly he needs to become a squad back up and either Evans or Soy need to replace him.

He really really struggled yesterday and was awkward all game and it is a shame to watch it tbh....

• Like 1

Morgan hasnt played badly this season. He just stands out from the rest of the team and the back four in particular, as he isn't comfortable with the ball. If he wasnt captain he would probably have been dropped, similar to Simpson. 

Unfortunately you cant teach an old dog new tricks but until we Evans or the new lad are up to scratch, he isnt that bad of a deputy. 

• Like 2

I thought he did ok yesterday and has been “ok” so far this season. For the first goal Maguire and Chilwell could have done much better. Despite Robertson’s touch of fortune that goal was preventable. For their second Firminho had a free header as Maddison lost his man. So you can’t fault Morgan for those. In open play though a bit slower to pass than Maguire he largely kept it on the ground and found Ricardo, Mendy or Maguire. 

What I would say is that so far this season we have exactly the same problem as last. We start slowly and we concede goals due to poor defending rather than being cut open. And this is with the same centre half pairing as last season so perhaps we shouldn’t be surprised. 

I think Puel will swap Morgan out but he was concerned with Evans performance against Wolves (where he really was poor) and wanted to get points on the board before the international break given we had to play Man Utd and Liverpool. With the break coming up now is a good time to try something different. 

Wes is 35 and on the decline but I don’t think he has been shocking. Equally he’s not been dominant as he was during 15/17. I’d probably rate him at 6/10 for the season which is ok but clearly indicative of a leaky defence. 

With an “easier” run coming up I’d be more concerned if he’s still starting in 4-5 games time but given the manager is still under pressure playing your most experienced CB isn’t unexpected. I think Huddersfield at home we’ll see a change but not at Bournemouth who we haven’t beaten in the Premier League and who are a very decent side at home. 

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 2

Some of our best plays come from when Maguire has the ball, fights off opposition pressure and accurately threads a pass through upfield, and when a loose ball comes he collects it and does the same thereby piling on the pressure. He effectively allows us an extra midfielder fighting to be on the end of a pass. And this is exactly what Puel wants and what makes our game great.

Morgan is great defensively. But increasingly the game and certainly our system requires a new sort of defender.  It's sad because he's a great defender and when he came into football that's all you needed to be and that's what he was and through that he lifted the Premier League trophy. He may be one of the last great old school defenders. And he certainly was great. But it's now time for a new system and a new type of defender. I just hope we can find a new captain to be as good.   

• Like 1