Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Jonny Evans

8 hours ago, Ian Nacho said:

Seemed a lot better today.

Slower strikers that look for a tussle are fine for Evans -- the problem is quicker strikers. FFS, he might be less mobile than Wes, he certainly lacks Morgan's effort and tenacity, but he played for Man U. years ago so we imagine he's an actual upgrade. He isn't, and if he has to play against attackers with real speed, he's going to be exposed in brutal fashion.

Realistically, neither him nor Wes should be starting for us, though if I had to keep one this season, I'd prob keep Wes. At least we know Wes wants it.

• Like 3

Better option than Wes but still not the answer. Huddersfield offered little in terms of pace and mobility up front.  Against speedier forwards the pairing of Evans and Maguire will be exposed.   This really needs sorting and once done, this will be a massive leap forward in our progress of change. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

Give him time. Fergie rated him highly and he knew a thing or two about football so that is a good enough endorsement for me to give him a decent run.

Fergie also had the choice to either sell Evans or Pique as they had an abundance of defenders. Well, we know what happened there! Even the very best get some decisions wrong but Fergie would argue that he was vindicated as Evans went on to play under for him as a starter for many years. I am, however, in agreement with you that we need to give him a prolonged run if we are to see the best out of him. After all, Guardiola doesn’t just sniff around players if they don’t have something about them. My only concern is that he was bought in as a ball playing defender, similar to that of our Harry, yet there were various times yesterday when he had the ball at his feet and misplaced simple passes. To his credit, they were forwarded and low passes as opposed to sideways or long-ball distribution that we’ve become accustomed to with many of our centre backs over recent history.

Also worth noting is that he does seem to have noticeably lost a yard of pace and he is only 30 which, by all accounts for a defender is of no age at all. I believe that the West Brom fans of yesteryear emphasised the same. Maybe his injuries have caught up with him which is a crying shame as we all know how reliable a defender he has been over the last decade in the Premier League. He may not score 8’s and 9’s every game but we were told by fans of his past clubs to expect steady performances.

I think he will only get to know his team mates and consequently grow in confidence and standing within the team by being selected and by being given a run of games so he can show that even though he may have lost a yard, he more than makes up for this with his awareness, anticipation and leadership. He will learn to adapt his game if he hasn’t already done so. He just needs the manager to show him some faith and for us fans to get behind him even if he doesn’t convince you quite yet. We only want players to succeed here and for what we paid for him, I think it is a relatively low risk signing that can only really be of a benefit to us.

Good luck for the rest of the season Jonny!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Shambles said:

Fergie also had the choice to either sell Evans or Pique as they had an abundance of defenders. Well, we know what happened there! Even the very best get some decisions wrong but Fergie would argue that he was vindicated as Evans went on to play under for him as a starter for many years. I am, however, in agreement with you that we need to give him a prolonged run if we are to see the best out of him. After all, Guardiola doesn’t just sniff around players if they don’t have something about them. My only concern is that he was bought in as a ball playing defender, similar to that of our Harry, yet there were various times yesterday when he had the ball at his feet and misplaced simple passes. To his credit, they were forwarded and low passes as opposed to sideways or long-ball distribution that we’ve become accustomed to with many of our centre backs over recent history.

Also worth noting is that he does seem to have noticeably lost a yard of pace and he is only 30 which, by all accounts for a defender is of no age at all. I believe that the West Brom fans of yesteryear emphasised the same. Maybe his injuries have caught up with him which is a crying shame as we all know how reliable a defender he has been over the last decade in the Premier League. He may not score 8’s and 9’s every game but we were told by fans of his past clubs to expect steady performances.

I think he will only get to know his team mates and consequently grow in confidence and standing within the team by being selected and by being given a run of games so he can show that even though he may have lost a yard, he more than makes up for this with his awareness, anticipation and leadership. He will learn to adapt his game if he hasn’t already done so. He just needs the manager to show him some faith and for us fans to get behind him even if he doesn’t convince you quite yet. We only want players to succeed here and for what we paid for him, I think it is a relatively low risk signing that can only really be of a benefit to us.

Good luck for the rest of the season Jonny!

If he is looking for a new Agent, you are the man!

• Haha 1

Other than one misplaced pass early in the first half I can't seem to remember him doing much wrong.

Having watched their goal it appears Amartey let his man go.

He seemed quite happy for Maguire to bring the ball out or make the more incisive pass. 

Hard to really read too much into anything from yesterday's game, Huddersfield looked poor.

12 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Nah he was in the right position.  Amartey let his man get on the wrong side.

Evans played one shit ball early on but that aside, I thought he was very good today.

Amartey's man was in the back post. The person Evans was stood next to scored?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Realist Guy In The Room said:

Nah he was in the right position.  Amartey let his man get on the wrong side.

Evans played one shit ball early on but that aside, I thought he was very good today.

Actually it was Ghezzal marking the lad who scored and he got caught ball watching. Again. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Actually it was Ghezzal marking the lad who scored and he got caught ball watching. Again. 

Yep just watched it again and it was definitely his man. Evans should do better  but if Ghezzal marks him properly it doesn't happen.

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

Evans could do better for their goal, as could Ghezzal and Ndidi.

I actually thought Evans was poor throughout and looked the weak link in the side. Often out of position and his heading and passing was very wayward.

He's definitely lost a yard of pace over the last year or so.

Just hope the Turk is good enough.

55 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Evans could do better for their goal, as could Ghezzal and Ndidi.

I actually thought Evans was poor throughout and looked the weak link in the side. Often out of position and his heading and passing was very wayward.

He's definitely lost a yard of pace over the last year or so.

Just hope the Turk is good enough.

Never mind Morgan will be back soon

2 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Amartey was quality yesterday.

Yes I know but he generally gets the blame for things even when it's not his fault. even the 1st goal yesterday.

He's also never given any leeway for his errors despite being young, inexperienced, playing out of position and generally in and out of the team yet Evens with all his experience is continually excused. It just comes across as bias.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I think after a run in the side he'd look much better. 

A massive part of being an effective CB is knowing where your partner CBs are. He ain't gonna be fully confident about that until he's had a run alongside Maguire. 

Man, people have zero ****ing patience lol. 

EVERYTHING NOW 

Underhitting/misplacing passes has nothing to do with knowing where your partner is. Why don't those defending Evens give players like a Amarty a bit more patience?

Evens may improve with time but let's give over players Ghezzal and Amarty the time to settle as well

I give Amartey plenty of patience, he was fine after the first 20 mins yesterday. He looks nervous just like Evans does. 

Sure, Evans has played in this league and at the highest level at Man U but he's hardly had 5 minutes in our squad. 

Both him and Amartey could do with a run to see them at their best. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lifted*fox said:

I give Amartey plenty of patience, he was fine after the first 20 mins yesterday. He looks nervous just like Evans does. 

Sure, Evans has played in this league and at the highest level at Man U but he's hardly had 5 minutes in our squad. 

You may but there's plenty that don't.

5 minutes ago, lifted*fox said:

I think Amartey has had enough time here / chances to prove himself? 

He did much better yesterday but I wasn't impressed with his defence of the long throw. The last one in particular where he was one of three players marking the front post, didn't win the header and no-one was on Delpoitre who should have scored. Being, tall intelligent and the captain of the defence he needed either to take charge at the front post and win the header or be marking their centre forward. For their goal, he was as much to blame as a few others.

Kasper disappointed me most at the back yesterday.

7 minutes ago, FIF said:

He did much better yesterday but I wasn't impressed with his defence of the long throw. The last one in particular where he was one of three players marking the front post, didn't win the header and no-one was on Delpoitre who should have scored. Being, tall intelligent and the captain of the defence he needed either to take charge at the front post and win the header or be marking their centre forward. For their goal, he was as much to blame as a few others.

Kasper disappointed me most at the back yesterday.

Evans is taking time to get up to speed. It’s a little early to judge to be fair and he’s looked a little shaky. He has always played left side of a two so maybe that is an issue with us. It may be a preferred option to have a back 3 with one of Amartey/Soyuncu/Morgan/Fuchs even alongside Maguire though Puel seems not to like that