Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Jonny Evans

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, Lovejoy said:

Haters gonna hate, but this fella is quietly impressing me.

Four of our five clean sheets this season have been when he’s played.

As I said in the Morgan thread, a game up against two quite immobile big guys is quite easy for him ....... Cardiff the same. When arsenal started paying it around, he, like everyone struggled.   I expect he will miss a few weeks anyway so will be Wes and Harry at Brighton (currently expected Harry will be back for then) 

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Better defensively but the amount of times the ball was dropping to him with time and he just hit it away, conceding possession... Still not seeing how this guy is any improvement on Huth. 

Apart from the fact he can actually move? Huth was an incredible defender but his legs had completely gone, we needed to replace him and personally I think Evans has looked decent the last 2 games alongside Wes. 

Edited by ROB-THE-BLUE
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, The Doctor said:

Better defensively but the amount of times the ball was dropping to him with time and he just hit it away, conceding possession... Still not seeing how this guy is any improvement on Huth. 

Where can I find the image of Pearson blowing his cheeks out ??????

i thought he hoofed when he needed to hoof and played it out calmly when he needed to play it out. Bobby huth really didn’t have the latter in his locker .........

• Like 1

On 26/09/2018 at 21:54, Foxxed said:

He's alright, not amazing, but alright, and at a good price and he's competing with Morgan until one of Soyuncu or Benkovik are ready to take over.

Just think we allegedly offered 20 mil and Man City was going to offer more.

Agree he’s doing ok, but like all players to get the best out of them they need to play regular 

23 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

Well, he's not an improvement on prime Huth, but I don't think many players are. But with injuries and age, Huth wasn't really much of an option any more, as much as I love the guy.

Evans has been fairly good, deserves to keep his place.

Edited by Charl91

33 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

i thought he hoofed when he needed to hoof and played it out calmly when he needed to play it out. Bobby huth really didn’t have the latter in his locker .........

Here's a spare one...

:nigel:

p.s. it's at the bottom of the emoji's (7th icon along the top bar) ;)

38 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Nah, two or three occasions at the start of the second half alone where no-one was challenging him, Mendy unmarked 5 yards away and just went for an aimless header back forward. He can defend, but doesn't look that good at collecting at the back and starting attacks again. 

• Like 1

I thought Evans played very well yesterday. He was calm and composed in defending and decent at spreading the play from the back. 

Whilst we've worked several very good chances in the Cardiff and Burnley games, we understandably haven't been red hot in attack. However, to keep two clean sheets shows some real character and resilience. Think Evans has more than played his part in that with some good displays, as has Ricardo who has looked a lot better at RB since Amartey's injury. 

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Charl91 said:

Well, he's not an improvement on prime Huth, but I don't think many players are. But with injuries and age, Huth wasn't really much of an option any more, as much as I love the guy.

Evans has been fairly good, deserves to keep his place.

Bit of an odd thing to bring up, so your pitting Evans now v Huth in his prime, but what about when Evans was in his prime?

Huth's biggest club, apart from us obviously, was Chelsea he played a total of 62 times for them. Evans however played nearly 200 times for Man U are you saying Fergie got the wrong defender?

It's documented that Fergie was stunned when LVG sold Evans, if Fergie was still in charge I'm sure Evans would have been a 1 club player along with Scholes, Giggs & G Neville.

2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Yesterday’s game was tailor made for Evans. He was fine against the lumbering Chris Wood and their other geezer. 

Its when we play against quick and nippy strikers that he struggles.

First thing I should say is that I am neither Jonny Evans himself or in love with Jonny Evans but 99% of the current CBs in the Premier lge struggle against 'quick and nippy strikers' Vardy himself has made a fool of many a top international CB.

Evans when fit and on form is the best CB we have on the books including Maguire who is not without his faults which have cost us in the past without being singled out because it's easier to blame his partnering CB.

• Like 4

Defensively he has been more solid than Maguire this season. 

Controversial but Maguire has made far more mistakes than Evans. We like to blame Wes instead of Harry but if Wes is so bad then why isn’t Evans performing poorly too. 

The only game Evans looked suspect in was against Wolves when he had to cover for Ricardo and we still managed a clean sheet.

• Like 3

Haven't seen him tested much against quicker players and better footballing teams yet. I have rated him so far but Morgan has also done well Vs Newcastle, Cardiff, Burnley etc. 

Evans is similar imo but better than Morgan. Be interesting to see him against the better teams or even Palace coming up with zaha etc

He's suited to playing teams outside the top 6, which is where we are as a team anyways so not sure why we should be concerned about his ability against a team like Arsenal, when in reality its not just him but the whole team who will struggle against such a quality side. I think he's a bargain and will atleast do for us very nicely this season.

• Like 4

21 hours ago, Col city fan said:

Yesterday’s game was tailor made for Evans. He was fine against the lumbering Chris Wood and their other geezer. 

Its when we play against quick and nippy strikers that he struggles.

Yeah and that's the same for pretty much all our centre backs, even Maguire in a back four is hugely uncomfortable against pace and skill. 

• Like 1