Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Ian Nacho

Jonny Evans

22 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I think Amartey has had enough time here / chances to prove himself? 

But he's never had a decent run of games he's been in and out of the team with different CBs. I don't know whether he'll be up to top 10 PL but he should at least be given proper time and consideration. In recent times too many of our players have been rejected without being given a serious run of games.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Really fvcked up letting Drag go  ...    :mellow:

Maybe you should see how soyuncu gets on ......and benkovic ........  evans cost a fraction of what dragovic would and he may be happy to be more of a squad player rather than playing every week. no way would dragovic have signed without playing reassurances after last season. 

Evans was decent yesterday. He was woeful in the first half against Wolves but since then has grown in confidence across the appearance he's made. I think unless Puel is confident in Soyuncu's ability to hit the ground running, then the Maguire-Evans partnership has to be the way to go for now over Maguire-Morgan purely because it offers better ball playing ability and we seem intent on playing out from the back. 

I'd like to see Evans play on Tuesday night at Molineux to give him another game in the side/Puel's system against PL opposition. 

1 hour ago, LCCFox96 said:

Evans was decent yesterday. He was woeful in the first half against Wolves but since then has grown in confidence across the appearance he's made. I think unless Puel is confident in Soyuncu's ability to hit the ground running, then the Maguire-Evans partnership has to be the way to go for now over Maguire-Morgan purely because it offers better ball playing ability and we seem intent on playing out from the back.  

I'd like to see Evans play on Tuesday night at Molineux to give him another game in the side/Puel's system against PL opposition. 

Morgan will be straight back into the side at Newcastle.

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Morgan will be straight back into the side at Newcastle.

Sadly, yes he probably will be.

I don't think Morgan is or ever was a bad player and I have the upmost respect for his achievements but I feel his position as a starter is now massively questionable. 

Just now, LCCFox96 said:

Sadly, yes he probably will be.

I don't think Morgan is or ever was a bad player and I have the upmost respect for his achievements but I feel his position as a starter is now massively questionable.  

I 100% agree, although it must be tough for Puel, as we have about 3 potential partners for Maguire, but I personally feel Evans if the best fit.

• Like 1

Well we've won both games he started I...….I think? : albeit rather fortuitously against Wolves compared to Huddersfield yesterday : and he was being touted as an 18mill target for Man Utd throughout parts of last season so I'm not quite sure why the 'doubters' are already out there!  

On 23/09/2018 at 09:12, Babylon said:

Amartey's man was in the back post. The person Evans was stood next to scored?

Amartey would have cut it out if he didnt let his man get across him.

That’s being over critical of both though.  It was a pretty normal goal to concede.  Nothing overly glaring about it. 

Regards Evans in general, he was vastly better than he was against Wolves so if he continues to gain further match sharpness and improves accordingly, he’ll be a very good signing for us.

EDIT - My mistake.  Completely down to Rachid.

Edited by Realist Guy In The Room
  • Like 1

On 23/09/2018 at 06:10, Shambles said:

Fergie also had the choice to either sell Evans or Pique as they had an abundance of defenders. Well, we know what happened there! Even the very best get some decisions wrong but Fergie would argue that he was vindicated as Evans went on to play under for him as a starter for many years. I am, however, in agreement with you that we need to give him a prolonged run if we are to see the best out of him. After all, Guardiola doesn’t just sniff around players if they don’t have something about them. My only concern is that he was bought in as a ball playing defender, similar to that of our Harry, yet there were various times yesterday when he had the ball at his feet and misplaced simple passes. To his credit, they were forwarded and low passes as opposed to sideways or long-ball distribution that we’ve become accustomed to with many of our centre backs over recent history.

Also worth noting is that he does seem to have noticeably lost a yard of pace and he is only 30 which, by all accounts for a defender is of no age at all. I believe that the West Brom fans of yesteryear emphasised the same. Maybe his injuries have caught up with him which is a crying shame as we all know how reliable a defender he has been over the last decade in the Premier League. He may not score 8’s and 9’s every game but we were told by fans of his past clubs to expect steady performances.

I think he will only get to know his team mates and consequently grow in confidence and standing within the team by being selected and by being given a run of games so he can show that even though he may have lost a yard, he more than makes up for this with his awareness, anticipation and leadership. He will learn to adapt his game if he hasn’t already done so. He just needs the manager to show him some faith and for us fans to get behind him even if he doesn’t convince you quite yet. We only want players to succeed here and for what we paid for him, I think it is a relatively low risk signing that can only really be of a benefit to us.

Good luck for the rest of the season Jonny!

I think you make some good points, but until he is fully fit we won't be able to say 'lost a yard' for sure.

Evans just needs game time. OK, he could have defended the long-throw goal in the 5th minute. But he grew into the game and looked solid by the end. Just needs games to get match fit and he'll be excellent. 

Wes Morgan: You have to admit the guy is amazing. Nearly 35 yrs old and still contending for a starting CB spot in the EPL. Doesn't he age? Incredible.

• Like 2

Evans is clearly a good defender, but he has spent the last few years at West Brom a team who parked the bus at every opportunity and had a back 4 of solid defenders with a midfield in front that was conditioned to protect the back 4. 

He he doesn’t have that here and so he needs to adjust. Maguire likes to carry the ball out, Ricardo and Chilwell get forward a lot so it’s a very different style and environment he has come into. Defending is largely about organisation and your relationship with your fellow defenders. I even think right now Wes and Evans could be a better CB combo than Maguire and Evans.

Edited by Captain...

44 minutes ago, Lovejoy said:

Arguably our best player tonight. Fair play to the lad.

The full backs weren't up to much, and while Iborra offered plenty on the ball, his partnership with Silva didn't offer much in terms of cover for Morgan-Evans. They both coped very well but, weirdly, the pace of the game slowed to such a degree as it wore on that neither defence was massively stretched. But yes, he definitely did well.

After Ward's match winning heroics it's hard to pick out a best performer. Morgan, Evans, Iborra and Albrighton would be up there, without any of them particularly blowing me away.