Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Spain v England Nations Cup

Am I the only one who doesn't really see the point in this Nation League? I just see it as unnecessary games adding to the number of games that players play in a league season thus increasing the chance of serious injuries and the top players burning out. Not to mention it disrupts the domestic leagues.

Also, if the FA wanted to appeal to a wider audience for international football surely it should be on terrestrial TV rather than Sky rip off Sports? It just kills it even more for me. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Hardly was the right kind of game to give him his debut 

I'm intrigued. I see no reason not to play Maddison tonight. If you think it too difficult an opposition then look at Winks and Chilwell who have had v little experience but coped ok. What are your reasons?

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Hardly was the right kind of game to give him his debut 

38 minutes ago, The Year Of The Fox said:

Class away end that was tonight. Just made it back to Albufeira ???????

Where abouts in Albufeira are you,anywhere near Oura VIllage?Only asking because if you go down stairs in the Red Lion their's a Leicester shirt on the wall.Left by us just before we won it!

Edited by PAULCFC

21 minutes ago, deep blue said:

I'm intrigued. I see no reason not to play Maddison tonight. If you think it too difficult an opposition then look at Winks and Chilwell who have had v little experience but coped ok. What are your reasons?

Winks has been playing in the PL for spurs for a couple seasons. He has played for England more than a year ago

chilwell would not be starting if rose or Shaw were fit 

madisson still needs some time - his last two performances for us have dropped off from previous levels -  

To be honest it's a bit off the strip,but a great Darlington fan owns if you find it tell him the couple from Leicester,with the two little boys sent you.Butch will know.....and you might get a Maddog shot.......but i would't again!Top of the strip,just across the road from  wild bills or something like that.

8 hours ago, Webbo said:

We're playing good teams in this competition. No good trying to play counter attack against Lithuania.

Was leaning more towards Croatia and Belgium in the WC and previous "big" teams where we've just sat there rather than the teams similar to Lithuania

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

What’s the diff with Chalobah then? I don’t get it personally I really dont

dont pick him if your not going to play him

Chalobah came on to tighten the midfield. Maddison would have come on and defended the whole time which is hardly his skill set. 

People can criticise Nations League but both sides really wanted to win that and you could tell the loss really hurt Spain.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

What’s the diff with Chalobah then? I don’t get it personally I really dont

dont pick him if your not going to play him

Why? There were 7 other players, assuming it was a squad of 21, that didn't play last night. Not everybody could get a game.

I think the jury is still out about Southgate tactically but based on the summer alone he does seem to have the ability to integrate players and create a good atmosphere within the England 'camp.' There's a place in the England squad for the next 10 years if Maddison if he continues to improve and grow into a top class Premier League player. It's given him a taste of an England camp and that should only help him knuckle down and try to keep his place in the squad, which will be a positive for us surely?

• Like 1

We're not going to win away in Spain without having a fair bit of luck. Why can't people just enjoy a good win rather than their first thought being 'we were lucky', "its only a glorified friendly' etc.

A shame for Maddison but with the Nations League being 'competitive' its going to make it harder for new players to get a chance. Attacking players were never going to get on with the way the game was going last night. Are subs limited in the nations league or is it same as a friendly?

• Like 3

I thought that was Harry Kane’s best performance in an England shirt even though he didn’t score! Mainly because he actually passed the ball for once. As a Leicester fan it’s a bit galling to see no Vardy involved when the plan and setup was vintage title winning Leicester but there’s no point crying over spilt milk and both Sterling and Rashford scored and played well. In fact I think Southgate is being rewarded for sticking with certain players as Sterling had a very ordinary World Cup and Rashford was poor against Croatia but by placing his trust in those players, they delivered and given their ages will be in the team and squad for years to come. Sterling is a player who many love to hate but he’s got the talent to play like he did last night. If he is more consistent with his finishing he could arguably be our best player. 

Will be interesting to see how we get on in the Euros. With Southgate as manager I think we are past the era of embarrassing exits but I think that in order to win a big trophy we need another player or two to get to world class status. Belgium have Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois and Lukaku. France have Kante, Varane, Griezeman, Mbappe, Umtitti. England have Kane only in the same bracket right now. But we have lots of good young players and some could make the grade. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I thought that was Harry Kane’s best performance in an England shirt even though he didn’t score! Mainly because he actually passed the ball for once. As a Leicester fan it’s a bit galling to see no Vardy involved when the plan and setup was vintage title winning Leicester but there’s no point crying over spilt milk and both Sterling and Rashford scored and played well. In fact I think Southgate is being rewarded for sticking with certain players as Sterling had a very ordinary World Cup and Rashford was poor against Croatia but by placing his trust in those players, they delivered and given their ages will be in the team and squad for years to come. Sterling is a player who many love to hate but he’s got the talent to play like he did last night. If he is more consistent with his finishing he could arguably be our best player. 

Will be interesting to see how we get on in the Euros. With Southgate as manager I think we are past the era of embarrassing exits but I think that in order to win a big trophy we need another player or two to get to world class status. Belgium have Hazard, De Bruyne, Courtois and Lukaku. France have Kante, Varane, Griezeman, Mbappe, Umtitti. England have Kane only in the same bracket right now. But we have lots of good young players and some could make the grade. 

Great observation about Kane. That was exactly how I saw it too. His game was a lot more than just about scoring goals, last night.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

We're not going to win away in Spain without having a fair bit of luck. Why can't people just enjoy a good win rather than their first thought being 'we were lucky', "its only a glorified friendly' etc.

A shame for Maddison but with the Nations League being 'competitive' its going to make it harder for new players to get a chance. Attacking players were never going to get on with the way the game was going last night. Are subs limited in the nations league or is it same as a friendly?

For me it's the same reason I wouldn't give my team stick if they lost but you can see they played well and created plenty of decent chances.

I'm always about the performances rather than results - if you perform well, you'll more often than not get a good result. Usually if you see a game with those stats, the scoreline would be reversed I'd say. 

That being said, we're not as good at football as Spain so we've managed to defend deep, keeping out 24 of their 26 attempts and use our pace to create a few chances at the other end and put the majority of them in the net.

I can guarantee most people in this thread would be complaining that it was a rubbish, uninspiring performance if we had missed our chances and lost. Most people are results driven and see in black and white.

On Maddison, you'd imagine the experience of being with and travelling with the team would be a good experience for him. I'm sure he's probably disappointed not to get any game time, hopefully he can keep playing at a high level and earn himself some minutes on the pitch next time England play. 

Just looked at it and it seems that there is a limit of 3 subs per game, so he was always going to be struggling for pitch time.

9 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

Am I the only one who doesn't really see the point in this Nation League? I just see it as unnecessary games adding to the number of games that players play in a league season thus increasing the chance of serious injuries and the top players burning out. Not to mention it disrupts the domestic leagues.

Also, if the FA wanted to appeal to a wider audience for international football surely it should be on terrestrial TV rather than Sky rip off Sports? It just kills it even more for me. 

They’d be playing qualifying games instead over September and October. There’s no additional games here. The idea is to stop pointless friendlies which would normally occur 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

18 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Really hits home how tinpot we've become as a nation in how much is being made of this result. England are properly the national team equivalent of Forest.

Cracking game mind.

England get so much shit, especially from their own fans, so why not enjoy beating one of the best around in their own back yard? 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, fox_favourite said:

The benefit is that they are half competitive opposed to playing Andorra and San Marino in a typical international break and watching Wayne Rooney score a hatrick each game and feeding us  hope we could do something in a major tournament. 

Edited by les-tah