Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Spain v England Nations Cup

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

We're not going to win away in Spain without having a fair bit of luck. Why can't people just enjoy a good win rather than their first thought being 'we were lucky', "its only a glorified friendly' etc.

A shame for Maddison but with the Nations League being 'competitive' its going to make it harder for new players to get a chance. Attacking players were never going to get on with the way the game was going last night. Are subs limited in the nations league or is it same as a friendly?

Maximum of 3 subs so it really makes it difficult for the fringe players, if this continues you'll see a fair amount of players drop out of squads much more than currently happens (which can be a lot)

52 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maximum of 3 subs so it really makes it difficult for the fringe players, if this continues you'll see a fair amount of players drop out of squads much more than currently happens (which can be a lot)

If that's the case then the friendly against USA in November has to be treated as almost a B fixture.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

They’d be playing qualifying games instead over September and October. There’s no additional games here. The idea is to stop pointless friendlies which would normally occur 

Its not so much to stop all the pointless friendlies, but more to get rid of the even-more-pointless qualification games where the result is essentially already known before kick-off. I'm talking the likes of England vs Andorra, Germany vs Faroe Islands etc. The matches which ultimately don't affect anything other than maybe GD in a quali group, and don't benefit either side involved.

There were a few sides over the weekend who won their first competitive game in years/ever, partially because they've been seeded against sides who are actually a similar ability to themselves rather than being the whipping boys of a group.

I was sceptical of the Nations league at first and still think it might be unnecessarily complicated, but so far it seems like a decent solution to fixing the qualification process.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, The Bear said:

xG had Spain winning 1.93 to 1.66. So it  wasn't really that much of a robbery.

For reference, this is a robbery:

Dk5P0C0X0AApVHb.jpg

I do like me some xG, surprised to hear it was so close.

Reading the football code gave a pretty good insight to the guy that pioneered it and now owns Brentford.

I have been a big critic of both Sterling and Rashford, but fair play they both played very well in Seville. Just hope it gives them a boost in confidence for the future. Don't go back to their normal previous displays.

Forgive me, but I don't understand why Wolves have been mentioned in this thread. They had an early chance at our gaff, but were generally rubbish and non threatening. Not our best display, but relatively relaxing game with the result never really in doubt. Some so called fans just don't understand the game - the team knew they were having an off day so just ground out the result. Very professional imo.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BoyJones said:

I have been a big critic of both Sterling and Rashford, but fair play they both played very well in Seville. Just hope it gives them a boost in confidence for the future. Don't go back to their normal previous displays.

Forgive me, but I don't understand why Wolves have been mentioned in this thread. They had an early chance at our gaff, but were generally rubbish and non threatening. Not our best display, but relatively relaxing game with the result never really in doubt. Some so called fans just don't understand the game - the team knew they were having an off day so just ground out the result. Very professional imo.

Nice one mate. Hope you’re ok

12 hours ago, The Bear said:

xG had Spain winning 1.93 to 1.66. So it  wasn't really that much of a robbery.

For reference, this is a robbery:

Dk5P0C0X0AApVHb.jpg

What an insufferable bore you are. Supposed to be this amazing up and coming club yet you can’t let go of a defeat 

20 hours ago, Xen said:

Its not so much to stop all the pointless friendlies, but more to get rid of the even-more-pointless qualification games where the result is essentially already known before kick-off. I'm talking the likes of England vs Andorra, Germany vs Faroe Islands etc. The matches which ultimately don't affect anything other than maybe GD in a quali group, and don't benefit either side involved.

There were a few sides over the weekend who won their first competitive game in years/ever, partially because they've been seeded against sides who are actually a similar ability to themselves rather than being the whipping boys of a group.

I was sceptical of the Nations league at first and still think it might be unnecessarily complicated, but so far it seems like a decent solution to fixing the qualification process.

It's not, as they are still going to happen I am afraid. Qualification process for 2020 is the same as it always was bar some modifications being made around the play offs which are now tied in the the Nations League.

The UEFA Nations League pretty much benefits everyone, gives UEFA a marketable competition to make money off, gives the players an actual competition with a trophy at the end which I'm sure they vastly prefer over friendlies, and the fans get some decent football to watch that actually matters instead of dire friendly matches with subs being made every 2 seconds.

Why anyone would view the competition as a "glorified friendly" I don't know. It might be a new trophy, but it is still a trophy, the game are played under competitive rules and from most sides are going full strength trying to win every game. The format might not be perfect in my opinion, and I'd still prefer it if they just binned off a few international weeks instead of implementing this competition as it's clear professional footballers play far too much football,  but it's certainly preferable to how things worked before.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, davieG said:

Press Association:
Harry Maguire: 7 - So calm and collected in possession of the ball, could have taught his counterparts a thing or two on the night.

Ben Chilwell: 7 - Taken to international football with aplomb, his second start for the Three Lions coming against a team with the attacking wealth of Spain but the Leicester man coped well.

BBC:
HM: 7 - Stood tall and powerful in the physical challenges as Spain bombarded England after the break.

BC: 8 - Outstanding once again as he built on his fine first start in Croatia.

The Guardian
HM: 7 - Some shaky moments and got a booking to boot, but largely nullified Spain’s threat from crosses.

BC: 6 - Not as effective as against Croatia but has an old head on young shoulders and stood up to the defensive task.

Daily Express
HM: 6 - Bizarrely went in the book for a clean yet forceful tackle on Dani Ceballos. Showed his grit after taking several big hits in a bruising encounter.

BC: 8 - Given a thorough examination of his defensive qualities but more than stood up to the test. The Leicester full-back represents real competition for Luke Shaw and Danny Rose.

Isn't it good to read such positive reports regarding two young players that play for Leicester who are both, let's face it, because of their age still learning their trade. Contrast that with the vitreol Chilwell has received on here from footballing experts. Sometimes it takes commentators from outside of a club to appreciate young talent regardless of inevitable flaws due to age and the learning process. Sometimes we wonder why young players develop an aloof attitude and hard exterior appearing ever increasingly distant from their fans. Sometimes encouragement and support, despite the odd mistake goes a long way and just sometimes you don't appreciate something until it's gone.

Despite results, because a club like us are destined to win and lose games, I personally get a buzz, albeit understadably frustrating at times, at watching the current crop of young kids develop. Arguably results are perhaps ahead of where they could be expected to be at this stage of their development and journey all things considered.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

What an insufferable bore you are. Supposed to be this amazing up and coming club yet you can’t let go of a defeat 

What's boring is people's reaction to a bit of tongue in cheek ribbing.

I got banned for a week last week because apparently a bunch of babies on here were crying about me and getting upset, which the mods actually took seriously. 

If you can't handle it just tell me and I'll **** off for good. 

23 minutes ago, The Bear said:

I got banned for a week last week because apparently a bunch of babies on here were crying about me and getting upset, which the mods actually took seriously. 

I love you really 

Plus you can’t rib us for a game you lost :thumbup:

Plenty on here seem to like you and they don’t like anything so you must be alright

Edited by foxfanazer

20 minutes ago, The Bear said:

lol there's some proper wet blankets on here

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Bear said:

Well if you were upsetting little kids mate I'm not surprised you got banned. Can't be doing that.

On 16/10/2018 at 01:36, deep blue said:

I'm intrigued. I see no reason not to play Maddison tonight. If you think it too difficult an opposition then look at Winks and Chilwell who have had v little experience but coped ok. What are your reasons?

I was referring more to finding it unsurprising that he didn’t come on. 

At 3-0 we were flying, playing the best football we’ve played in 17 years. You couldn’t make a case for anyone to be subbed off.

Hindsight also proved that 3-0 nearly wasn’t enough, which was kind of the feeling at HT in anticipation of Spain chucking the kitchen sink at us 

Certainly when the second half began and the inevitable did happen it certainly wasn’t the time to introduce debutants (the chabaloah introduction  did puzzle me) but I guess GS thought the game was ours by then

I was as surprised as anyone to find maddison not starting, but GS starting 11 was fully vindicated 

Edited by The Year Of The Fox

On 16/10/2018 at 06:34, Bob Weasel Fox said:

What’s the diff with Chalobah then? I don’t get it personally I really dont

dont pick him if your not going to play him

But the result fully vindicated the starting 11 and any subs brought on really. Chalobah or whatever he’s called aside 

Maddison was a certainty to start in my eyes, especially after not playing v Croatia. But his being around the squad for a couple of awAy games will have done him no wrong at all

On 16/10/2018 at 09:15, leicesterlad1989 said:

Why? There were 7 other players, assuming it was a squad of 21, that didn't play last night. Not everybody could get a game.

I think the jury is still out about Southgate tactically but based on the summer alone he does seem to have the ability to integrate players and create a good atmosphere within the England 'camp.' There's a place in the England squad for the next 10 years if Maddison if he continues to improve and grow into a top class Premier League player. It's given him a taste of an England camp and that should only help him knuckle down and try to keep his place in the squad, which will be a positive for us surely?

Exactly all this. And on top of it- only 3 subs can be used anyway ?

I wanted him to get his debut on Monday more than most because I was in the ground. But I can’t complain in the slightest after witnessing what we did ?

9 hours ago, The Bear said:

Mate you'll get banned on here for saying hello in the wrong way so I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Actually, I'll probably ben banned just for pointing that out.

See you all in a week.  X