Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
wright.dan

Adrien silva

4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

No point keeping him if he's not going to play much - either for the sake of our squad/club or for his sake. Not his fault - there have been no signs of bad attitude or lack of effort, he just doesn't seem to suit our system and/or English football.

Will depend on what concrete interest there is from other clubs and what he's prepared to accept, I imagine. If more than 1 acceptable offer is made, it'd be a financial calculation - wages saved by loaning him, fee received if anyone offers to buy etc.

Tempting as it might be to mess Sporting around (because of the 14-second-late signing fiasco, not because the transfer hasn't worked out - that's our fault), that wouldn't really be on....though I might be biased. Many years ago, I spent 3 months as an honorary Sporting fan, going to all their home matches, during a work placement in Lisbon. The Benfica fans I worked with were a bit on the snobby, superficial side, whereas the Sporting fans were friendly and down to earth! 

Yeah, I know that really. We played brinkmanship with the Drinkwater/Silva deals and we lost. Entirely our fault really. Had we played it better, we would have had a player who could train and play immediately, probably at a lower price.

As for the player, you're right, none of it his fault and I wish him no ill at all. Dreadful waste of time really, especially his (even though he's been paid handsomely for it).

2 minutes ago, murphy said:

We gave Sporting £50m+ for Slim and Silva, plus they may have been to blame for the 14 second fiasco as they upped the price at the last minute and now they want him back for free while we continue to contribute toward his wages?  I'd rather be trapped in a lift with Joey Essex whist they piped in Michael Buble on a loop than let them continue to pull our pants down like this.

I do feel the same about Sporting regarding Silva. Slimani was all us. 

The upping of the Silva price really only came about because we left ourselves in a vulnerable position. That just strengthened their hand. 

I would be inclined to insist he goes anywhere but back there (unless they want to pay a fee, which they won't). I'd practically give him away to ensure we don't pay him a penny whilst he plays for Sporting but I don't suppose that's solid business practice.

6 hours ago, weller54 said:

.....like Benkovic is doing you mean? 

I think the difference with Benkovic is that he's young and still learning and although the Scottish Premier league is perhaps lower quality,  perhaps the physicality and the pace may be more akin to ours but I don't know in fairness.. The 3 players I mentioned, who at the price we paid were expected to perform straight away,  were all talented individuals, who spent most of they're careers in a slower paced game. At 29yrs it was always going to be a challenge for them. I suppose that they were never seemingly chased after by another premiership club for big money might be telling as well. 

9 hours ago, murphy said:

There you go.   Roughly £135m there:

Jakupovic

Soyuncu                            Bennalouane                              Hernandez

Ghezzal                   Inler                       Iborra                       Silva                           Musa

Slimani                                      Iheanacho

Who, the fook, has been responsible for the transfer dealings at the club ever since we did the seemingly impossible?

You’d find it harder to get it more wrong if you tried.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Who, the fook, has been responsible for the transfer dealings at the club ever since we did the seemingly impossible?

You’d find it harder to get it more wrong if you tried.

I'd say but when you point that out you get accused of scapegoating him

2 minutes ago, Farrington fox said:

Feel sorry for him, bet he came here full of enthusiasm and expectation, but it’s been pretty much a disaster. 

He’s a decent player, you don’t represent Portugal if you’re not, ok he’s not a regular but he should have been capable of bossing this league. What goes wrong? Same with kramo, now look!

I think when you come here with a price tag and a reputation to match then you have to hit the ground running. 

Unfortunately he didn't at all. 

1 hour ago, Farrington fox said:

Feel sorry for him, bet he came here full of enthusiasm and expectation, but it’s been pretty much a disaster. 

He’s a decent player, you don’t represent Portugal if you’re not, ok he’s not a regular but he should have been capable of bossing this league. What goes wrong? Same with kramo, now look!

Little correlation with Kramaric.

He was a young lad. He showed snatches of talent. He scored some goals. He just wasn't quite ready to break into a team that was purring for his 18 months here.

Silva was recruited as an experienced boss man. Every single game -and I mean every game - he's been a total liability. Even his brief cameo for Portugal in the world cup, he was useless.

The single worst pound for pound signing we've ever made. By. A. Mile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

Little correlation with Kramaric.

He was a young lad. He showed snatches of talent. He scored some goals. He just wasn't quite ready to break into a team that was purring for his 18 months here.

Silva was recruited as an experienced boss man. Every single game -and I mean every game - he's been a total liability. Even his brief cameo for Portugal in the world cup, he was useless.

The single worst pound for pound signing we've ever made. By. A. Mile.

Nah. Musa was our worst ever signing. Silva is up there though.

14 hours ago, murphy said:

There you go.   Roughly £135m there:

Jakupovic

Soyuncu                            Bennalouane                              Hernandez

Ghezzal                   Inler                       Iborra                       Silva                           Musa

Slimani                                      Iheanacho

The fact a few of those cost almost nothing makes it even more embarrassing 

• Sad 1