Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

27 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Yep. The argument here is that there are "no good versions" but yet again that's just excuse making. Anyone that watched the Bruges away game in Club 13 in that little square we occupied will tell you how good the Jersey Budd version was when sung with some balls. 

I can't work out why know one likes that version. I think it's great and sounds like a proper football song, still each to their own.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I can't work out why know one likes that version. I think it's great and sounds like a proper football song, still each to their own.

Must admit I've never really liked 'When You're Smiling' (whatever version) as a terrace song.

Always struck me as slightly awkward and self-conscious.

I like Brum's 'Keep Right On To The End Of The Road' myself. Rousing stuff, which you can't really say about 'Smiling'

4 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

What I want to know is, what about countries like the Netherlands, Germany, etc? Surely the same thing has happened there, even if not to the same extent? 

The ticket prices have stayed reasonable there for starters.

Throw in the ultra culture which means there’s a designated area for every club - you stand/sit that area you are expected to sing and if you don’t want that you go elsewhere. 

English football did have something similar with each club and ground having an end. Our own Kop being a good example. As new stadiums have been built this has been whitewashed 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ren said:

Demographics of our fan-base are definitely unusual, as a kid it was my dad who introduced me to home and away games and this was the same for all my mates, eventually leading to the older man stopping going for 'bad knees ect' and the lad going with his mates. Don't know if it's just my personal background but everyone I know who go the matches fit this criteria as well.

Same for me. But then we always used to stand home and away and we never really thought about sitting at all. By the time all seater stadia was enforced, my dad had long since given up going.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stoopid said:

Must admit I've never really liked 'When You're Smiling' (whatever version) as a terrace song.

Always struck me as slightly awkward and self-conscious.

I like Brum's 'Keep Right On To The End Of The Road' myself. Rousing stuff, which you can't really say about 'Smiling'

It's rousing because enough people sing it. WYS would be if enough people did every game, as they did at Cardiff.

Also helps that their club are actively proud of the fact their supporters came up with it, and promote it as such. Ours seem desperate to ensure they are seen as responsible for anything and everything to do with creating any kind of atmosphere, and either severely hinder or dismiss out of hand anything that's supporter-led.

https://www.bcfc.com/club-and-fans/club/history/club-anthem/

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

The ticket prices have stayed reasonable there for starters.

Throw in the ultra culture which means there’s a designated area for every club - you stand/sit that area you are expected to sing and if not you don’t want that you go elsewhere. 

English football did have something similar with each club and ground having an end. Our own Kop being a good example. As new stadiums have been built this has been whitewashed 

The spontaneity of football support in England has been largely eroded by all-seaters & the preponderance of season-ticket holders. 

That's not so much the case in Europe.

Shame, because our support retains a lot of the humour and spirit ( for instance, lower-league teams getting numbers you'd never see in Europe) that made it unique.

Hopefully the authorities here can realise that before their 'privatisation' of the game strangles the life out of it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

It's rousing because enough people sing it. WYS would be if enough people did every game, as they did at Cardiff.

Also helps that their club are actively proud of the fact their supporters came up with it, and promote it as such. Ours seem desperate to ensure they are seen as responsible for anything and everything to do with creating any kind of atmosphere, and either severely hinder or dismiss out of hand anything that's supporter-led.

I agree with that. But 'Keep Right On' is rousing because it has a beat that can be kept by hand-clapping as you're singing it, whereas 'WYS' is more of a croon, really, so there's nothing to hang it on rhythmically. So it tends to wander around a bit - not really suiting a mass rendition.

Edited by Stoopid
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

I thought it was a first world war song

It’s fairly obvious who’s involved with UFS on here but nobody ever really directly mentions it (because of the grief on the past I’d imagine). I’m involved with the group and it’s absolutely brilliant and I’ve met some of my best mates as a result.

Its great to see a lot of support on here for the group and thanks to those that have. I’d recommend getting involved heartily.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I bet if you crow barred the words King Power into WYS they would play it constantly.

When your smiling when your smiling King Power smiles with you!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Stoopid said:

I agree with that. But 'Keep Right On' is rousing because it has a beat that can be kept by hand-clapping as you're singing it, whereas 'WYS' is more of a croon, really, so there's nothing to hang it on rhythmically. So it tends to wander around a bit - not really suiting a mass rendition.

YNWA, I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, Blue Moon are all slow songs. It seems to me that WYS is wrecked by belting it out like a machine gun.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

I've only ever considered WYS to be 'rousing' once and that was under the obviously extraordinary circumstances that surrounded that game.

It's never going to be our YNWA or I'm forever blowing bubbles. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

It wasn't so long ago we had fans booing and somehow justifying that as 'support', whilst openly barracking fans for clapping certain players or substitutions. Something is very wrong with the psyche of a percentage of our fanbase.

I think those people you're using to tar with the same brush are about as representative as the idiots who are suggesting banning certain age groups and people from attending away games because they're not vocal enough, really. Each demographic has its extremes.

On WYS - people are right about the pace and tune, it's ruined by people racing through it or mumbling it, though the pace of chants is not limited to that. It also seems to be ends can't seem to sing in unison. My enthusiasm for a chant soon dies when I have to decide which pace to join in with.

6 minutes ago, l444ry said:

YNWA, I'm Forever Blowing Bubbles, Blue Moon are all slow songs. It seems to me that WYS is wrecked by belting it out like a machine gun.  

Yeah - those songs are slower, but rhythmically stronger than WYS. So the crowd try to impose rhythm on it, leading - as you point out - to that machine-gun delivery as it goes on. Just sounds odd to me.

But beauty's in the ear of the beholder, I guess.

My 'problem' with the Fosse Boys/UFS group is that every song has to be unique to us or derived from some obscure foreign team.

All well and good having those chants, but we can't have an entire songbook made from tunes nobody has heard before. It's difficult to hear and pick up on certain words.

Either that or they're all Sloop John B.

There's plenty of scope for easy chants for players that don't require much effort (in terms of knowing lyrics and tune) that can be sung loudly and clearly by an away end but we seem to shy away from them.

1 minute ago, AKCJ said:

My 'problem' with the Fosse Boys/UFS group is that every song has to be unique to us or derived from some obscure foreign team.

All well and good having those chants, but we can't have an entire songbook made from tunes nobody has heard before. It's difficult to hear and pick up on certain words.

Either that or they're all Sloop John B.

There's plenty of scope for easy chants for players that don't require much effort (in terms of knowing lyrics and tune) that can be sung loudly and clearly by an away end but we seem to shy away from them.

Thats a lazy dig.

The group is very open with pushing the lyrics out there via this - http://www.unionfs.co.uk/songbook.html

Plus your point on tunes 'nobody has heard before'. I mean both the newest ones they have tried to get going this year have been Abba and Stone Roses tunes, both hardly obscure artists.

12 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Not for me. They’ve had no problem singing Vichai had a dream or even songs like Bill Shankly said to Bertie Mee before that. 

As for the obscure foreign team, I can’t think of a song they’ve sung what derives from that.

Equally the very nature of most songs which arrive here in the UK have origins from abroad. Allez, Allez being an example of that or you can look how chants from Argentina went to Spain and then to Italy and then to Germany. 

Vichai had a dream song is a great point here. UFS are there to improve the atmosphere (and also do some terrific community work) in between. They are not the only party who can ‘invent’ chants and the Vichai had a dream chant wasn’t their work but others. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, baker11 said:

Thats a lazy dig.

The group is very open with pushing the lyrics out there via this - http://www.unionfs.co.uk/songbook.html

Plus your point on tunes 'nobody has heard before'. I mean both the newest ones they have tried to get going this year have been Abba and Stone Roses tunes, both hardly obscure artists.

lol How?