Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

17 minutes ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Imagine if Top and Vichai had this attitude when they bought the club. The club wants to be ambitious and improve on the pitch, why can't the fans be ambitious and want to improve in the stands. 

Did you skip the previous paragraph?

It’s interesting because in the end this debate always has the same conclusion: the atmosphere is worse because the fan base has become more middle class. 

What I want to know is, what about countries like the Netherlands, Germany, etc? Surely the same thing has happened there, even if not to the same extent? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VIKTOR-LE5 said:

I'

I'm Sikh, Leicester born an bred, but who gives a puck if the away fans are  predominately white, ffs, some white people got to get over this nonsense.

One of the things I really loved about our title win three years ago was the way the whole city celebrated it.

I saw elderly ladies in saris, young middle-eastern families, Eastern Europeans, Africans - you name it - all ages, all races and all classes.

Our crowds now though don't really reflect this - price and ticket access/availability seem to have aged/greyed/gentrified our support to the point of approaching senility. And I include myself in that by the way.

The success of the Premier League brand has bred a conservatism in the clubs - especially at Leicester - that seems to encourages this 'safeness' in the following.

As other posters have pointed out, the people's game is, increasingly, excluding the people.

perhaps when/if we build a bigger ground we could take the revolutionary step of letting people pay on the day and at the turnstile and get more support from the city as well as the suburbs and the county.

Society has changed, I get that, but at the moment there's an awful lot of that society that aren't getting into the ground.

Away games are difficult, unless you have designated area big enough to accommodate all that what to stand and sing. No excuses at home though, there are enough people to create an atmosphere if they really wanted to.

Fact is our songbook is crap, all new songs don't take off because people don't know the words or they are too long or clever. Too many people are quick to say how shit the atmosphere on the internet but won't really do anything about it.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Sol thewall Bamba said:

No I read the whole thing a couple of times. I just felt that last line was strange, why can't we look to improve things while accommodating everyone. The ground is big enough and is likely to get bigger. 

When the ground is expanded we may be able to do something. The cap on STH’s, the vast majority who renew, and those having to relocate from the Family Stand each year must mean available seats in rest of the ground are reducing slightly each year. 

I’m all for improving it just not to the point where we are forcing people to move seats or talking about stopping anyone over 60 attend an away game because they actually need to sit down.  

For me the KP has been at it’s best when the team has been playing well. To be honest since we won the league, excluding the CL night’s, there have only been a few home games where we have really turned it on. The vast majority will get behind the team if they are playing well. 

I sit in G1 and whilst I don’t stand I do make the effort but i’ve got a friend in the East Stand and I have to teach her the words to a lot of the newer stuff because she can’t work out what’s being sung. 

I’m with Jason

Demographics of our fan-base are definitely unusual, as a kid it was my dad who introduced me to home and away games and this was the same for all my mates, eventually leading to the older man stopping going for 'bad knees ect' and the lad going with his mates. Don't know if it's just my personal background but everyone I know who go the matches fit this criteria as well.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Away games are difficult, unless you have designated area big enough to accommodate all that what to stand and sing. No excuses at home though, there are enough people to create an atmosphere if they really wanted to.

Fact is our songbook is crap, all new songs don't take off because people don't know the words or they are too long or clever. Too many people are quick to say how shit the atmosphere on the internet but won't really do anything about it.

Easy way to fix that...

34 minutes ago, Livid said:

When the ground is expanded we may be able to do something. The cap on STH’s, the vast majority who renew, and those having to relocate from the Family Stand each year must mean available seats in rest of the ground are reducing slightly each year. 

I’m all for improving it just not to the point where we are forcing people to move seats or talking about stopping anyone over 60 attend an away game because they actually need to sit down.  

For me the KP has been at it’s best when the team has been playing well. To be honest since we won the league, excluding the CL night’s, there have only been a few home games where we have really turned it on. The vast majority will get behind the team if they are playing well. 

I sit in G1 and whilst I don’t stand I do make the effort but i’ve got a friend in the East Stand and I have to teach her the words to a lot of the newer stuff because she can’t work out what’s being sung. 

I’m with Jason

Same at Huddersfield. 4 twats near the home fans giving it large. It's one thing singing a few songs but another on the wind up for the sake of it knowing they're in a protected environment. Need a good kicking. 

Everyone has a right to watch a live game of football however they want. Whether that be standing or sitting, singing or not singing.

The tweets I've read from some "Ultras" who are a part of the awful "fan" culture in modern football make me cringe. Someone actually said they wouldn't want to go games any more because they're not loud enough ? I honestly dont see the big deal. Some people have some serious growing up to do.

Always when the atmosphere is criticised there will be several responses dryly stating "But people have a right not to sing if they don't want to."

And yes, they do. But part of what I think it is to be a 'supporter' is to try and offer support for your team. We should all want to support. As passionate fans, we should see it as a role that we're eager to take on.

Edited by Harry - LCFC
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Harry - LCFC said:

Always when the atmosphere is criticised there will be several responses dryly stating "But people have a right not to sing if they don't want to."

And yes, they do. But part of what I think it is to be a 'supporter' is to try and offer support for your team. We should all want to support. We should see it as a role that we have and are happy to take on.

Always makes me laugh when I read stuff like that too. 

Yeah, support the team how you want, but by sitting there with your flask you aren't contributing anything to the atmosphere so don't get on your high horse when people wanting an atmosphere are critical.

2 hours ago, leicesterseddon said:

It’s interesting because in the end this debate always has the same conclusion: the atmosphere is worse because the fan base has become more middle class. 

What I want to know is, what about countries like the Netherlands, Germany, etc? Surely the same thing has happened there, even if not to the same extent? 

The thing about those places is, the majority have standing terraces, so it's fairly easy for groups to get together and create and atmosphere (plus standing also seems to encourage more vocal crowds but maybe that's just the people who are in it).

The other point is that they generally cater for groups and some even have "singing" sections so that everything is a bit more organised and not a complete mix and match throughout the ground.

Now imagine if at the KP we could get UFS and other vocal groups in SK blocks mixed into the same area as L1 and that group. If they were all in one place it would be much easier to get chants going and be heard. The club really need to take some action and listen to the fans, there are many ways to improve the atmosphere.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

I remember when I started watching football I stood in pen 3 at Filbert Street. Everyone sung, but the people in the stand were almost exclusively male and the vast majority were under 35.

I now sit in virtually the equivalent stand at the King Power stadium. When I walk up to my seat I pass middle aged and elderly people. I pass old woman with flasks. I, myself, am now a middle aged man who isn’t as vocal as I was 30 years ago. 

The “problem” is a simple and obvious one. The more vocal supporters do not coalesce in a single area. They are spread thinly within the general masses. 

The solution is more difficult. Everyone has a right to support their team. You can’t really exclude people from certain areas, which are often the cheaper seats. One thing that would cure it overnight would be a safe standing area. Many of the older supporters would still choose to sit. The standing supporters would highly likely be much more vocal, which would encourage more to migrate to that area.

The only thing I believe that would improve atmosphere significantly would be to create a bespoke section like this. I can’t see, other than safe standing, many ways you could “encourage” less vocal supporters to move to another part of the stadium. But it’s the only way I could ever see the atmosphere of years gone by being replicated. 

Looks like my post and yours have touched on very similar points.

Nothing will change unless fans constantly contact the club (in large numbers) to change the layout of the ground and introduce a section for fans that want to create an atmosphere.  This has happened at various clubs.  I still don't think it will create a good atmosphere just a better one as lots of English fans just want to stand in silence.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Play it over the tannoy before kick off at every match, like they used to,  then people will join in with it when it gets sung during the match. Easy.

Yep. The argument here is that there are "no good versions" but yet again that's just excuse making. Anyone that watched the Bruges away game in Club 13 in that little square we occupied will tell you how good the Jersey Budd version was when sung with some balls. 

• Like 1