Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
H.a.r.r.y

Support + atmosphere

On 21/04/2019 at 13:55, Blanchflower78 said:

Our away ends tend to have a core following of 'older' support, plenty of women and kids. Was next to the geordies last Friday and it was proper lads in there hence the noise. 

Not sure how that will change, affluent County and we attract a real mix of age etc... 

Think that also highlights what a good job the club do in regards to making it a fully inclusive place to be. 

Downside is atmosphere can then become slightly pedestrian....

Doesn't have to be - during the peak of our atmosphere in our first two years back in the top flight I have fond memories of kids winding up opposition fans, getting dogs' abuse back and then L1 piping up with "that is our Family Stand, that is our Family Stand..." to the tune of La Donna E Mobile. lol

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

So our ends are full of people who actually don't support Leicester, and *that's* why our away support is so bad? Is that what you're trying to tell me?

I don't doubt the *odd* glory hunter has manged to wangle tickets for games they'd no right to be at in recent years, but that doesn't excuse the rest of us.

It's one factor. Obviously not just because of the glory hunters. But we've been in the prem for nearly 5 years now. Pre 2016, we had one of the best away/home supports in the country (including the great escape season) but since the title winning season or actually even under Shakespeare it's gone down hill in terms of atmosphere. Think even people who probably used to belt songs out back in the day have been subdued by this gradual decline. Fans who used to sit in the cop, now sit next to the away fans. It sometimes feels like the west stand now...

After Cardiff I thought we might start singing WYS. The only time everyone joins in for any chant is when it's preplanned like the 60th min Vichai one.

Don't know how we solve it to be honest. People in SK1 try and start new chants but unless it's to Sloop John B, no-one wants to know.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

People filming proceedings on their phones makes me slightly wonder at it all. 

Who on earth do they think is interested in the results, when probably the majority of others are doing exactly the same thing?

And it turns it into an individual experience rather than a collective one.

By seeking this constant validation or just record of their time people are in danger of becoming spectators in their own lives rather than active participants. They are actually distancing themseves from events rather than enhancing them, as I imagine they (mistakenly) believe.

It's the opposite of living in the moment.

And it certainly doesn't help the atmosphere. 

But in time it will hopefully improve - and ticketing & pricing should be looked at too (don't hold your breath). But in the meantime, maybe keep your phones in your pockets...

Couldn't agree more.

1 hour ago, RonnieTodger said:

After Cardiff I thought we might start singing WYS. The only time everyone joins in for any chant is when it's preplanned like the 60th min Vichai one.

Don't know how we solve it to be honest. People in SK1 try and start new chants but unless it's to Sloop John B, no-one wants to know.

This is kind of the point. We proved we are capable but it just doesn't happen. It's an odd mentality.

2 hours ago, Stoopid said:

People filming proceedings on their phones makes me slightly wonder at it all. 

Who on earth do they think is interested in the results, when probably the majority of others are doing exactly the same thing?

And it turns it into an individual experience rather than a collective one.

By seeking this constant validation or just record of their time people are in danger of becoming spectators in their own lives rather than active participants. They are actually distancing themseves from events rather than enhancing them, as I imagine they (mistakenly) believe.

It's the opposite of living in the moment.

And it certainly doesn't help the atmosphere. 

But in time it will hopefully improve - and ticketing & pricing should be looked at too (don't hold your breath). But in the meantime, maybe keep your phones in your pockets...

Definitely think this is a part of it but it's a separate issue really, although it's definitely a factor. I think that's very much a societal thing and it's quite sad to see. Everyone does things now for likes on social media. I legitimately think some people will travel hundreds of miles to go to gigs etc... not because they want to but because it'll get them approval on social media.

Maybe I shouldn't be bothered but I find that a bit weird.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I don't film anything. I don't need to put my Smartphone in my pocket.

I haven't got a Smartphone. I don't need one. Hate the bloody things.

I think there will be more like me soon.

I’m with you. I’ve got one, but only use it for work. Never take it to the football. 

1 hour ago, LCFC FOX said:

I’m hoping something happens next season atmosphere wise. Not much but just something like the club advertising where to go if you want to stand and sing. 

Imagine if union fs was at the bottom of the stand rather than the back? It would make a massive difference 

Agree with this. Also think previous suggestions of handing out song sheets would help people to join in. Just one song per match maybe. Plus, and I know this will be controversial, but we need songs with less f'ing and jeffing. As mentioned in the away end discussion, our crowd has changed over time from mostly young blokes into a real family mix of different ages and we need to be inclusive of all these groups to get everyone involved. We've got some good songs like "Leicester boys are we" and "We only love love the boys in blue" etc that would fit the bill. 

7 minutes ago, Manini said:

Right I’m going to be controversial here...if you want to know why we don’t have an away end like United or Leeds or whoever, this is why. “Less effing and jeffing”, attitudes like this. Following a football club isn’t a day out. It’s a, in my eyes, right of passage, it’s bigger than anything in my life and that’s what was drilled in to me as a boy. If anything it’s an ordeal, until you get those three points, then have your sodding day out afterwards. I got brought up going the game with my dad, swearing was part of it, it’s a working class game and it needs to stay that way, you can’t shield your kids forever, they’ll grow up and get involved in all the messed up shit that we all do. Colourful language is part and parcel of football. 

I’m not for one second saying encourage swearing amongs young people (although to be honest I couldn’t give a **** they’re just words at the end of the day, part of the English language, used in an emotive sense as an emphasiser), but don’t try and sugar coat it either.

In my opinion, we care too much as a fan base, we care what other people think, how we’re perceived and how it reflects on the telly, what the old boys and girls must think at the game, what the kids must think. The reason the aforementioned clubs are so good away is because they embrace it all, they embrace the hate and the piss taking and turn it in to almost a siege mentality amongst the fans. 

UFS have got it right, you want an atmosphere, make it happen, stop giving a shit, support the team, sing what ever the frig you like, as long as you sing. 

This is just my opinion as well by the way, to the poster who I’ve quoted, I mean no disrespect to you or your views. Mine just differ quite drastically. 

And I don't disagree with your point either. I was brought up and into football the same way, but you must have noticed that times are changing? For one thing, the ticket prices are forcing out many of the working class and the youth from the game. 

As I say, I don't disagree with your point, but if people really want more atmosphere, you have to include the majority. You can't expect the middle class mums and dads with their 6 and 7 year olds and perhaps some of the older gentlefolk who attend these days to join in. 

My suggestion was simply to focus a bit more on the songs that they can all join in with. 

For fox sake ?

On 23/04/2019 at 19:40, baker11 said:

If the club can give out designated seats to the Ginetta mob then they could 100% help facilitate an atmosphere/singing block.

Is this something you have raised or discussed with the club as a group? I know you are active in terms of trying to book tickets as a group where possible and also advertise on social media, which section you are aiming for.

But as you point out the club still bend over backwards to accommodate other sections of our support. Could you not request they grey out a section for away games the same as they do with the front rows for the coach 1 travel gang.

I don't know how many you regularly get uptake for, for aways but maybe a good starting point would be being pro active as a group.

We purchased our tickets at Newcastle last season behind your group and it was certainly one of the better aways that season.

21 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Is this something you have raised or discussed with the club as a group? I know you are active in terms of trying to book tickets as a group where possible and also advertise on social media, which section you are aiming for.

But as you point out the club still bend over backwards to accommodate other sections of our support. Could you not request they grey out a section for away games the same as they do with the front rows for the coach 1 travel gang.

I don't know how many you regularly get uptake for, for aways but maybe a good starting point would be being pro active as a group.

We purchased our tickets at Newcastle last season behind your group and it was certainly one of the better aways that season.

From memory four occasions. 

I grew up on a working class council estate but the problem is those middle class families, pensioners, middle aged guys, women are now a significant part of our fan base. The world has moved on and so has the game.

Our present owners have made this club feel very inclusive for all. I look at some of the away support who come down to the KP , predominantly white and male between 15 to 60 and I'm really proud of the fact we're not like that. 

I loathe it when I see talk of uprooting people from seats they have held for years to 'create' an area to generate aptmosphere. If you can get an away ticket on the back of your loyalty to this club through the bad times then fair enough, you shouldn't have to sign an agreement that you're going to have to stand for the entire 90 minutes and take your shirt off if we score.

I'm all for more atmosphere but the entire discussion seems to be on forcing that,  which is just as false as the atmosphere the clappers generate.

We are what we are and we need to work with what we've got.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Livid said:

I grew up on a working class council estate but the problem is those middle class families, pensioners, middle aged guys, women are now a significant part of our fan base. The world has moved on and so has the game.

Our present owners have made this club feel very inclusive for all. I look at some of the away support who come down to the KP , predominantly white and male between 15 to 60 and I'm really proud of the fact we're not like that. 

I loathe it when I see talk of uprooting people from seats they have held for years to 'create' an area to generate aptmosphere. If you can get an away ticket on the back of your loyalty to this club through the bad times then fair enough, you shouldn't have to sign an agreement that you're going to have to stand for the entire 90 minutes and take your shirt off if we score.

I'm all for more atmosphere but the entire discussion seems to be on forcing that,  which is just as false as the atmosphere the clappers generate.

We are what we are and we need to work with what we've got.

Good luck with that. 

• Haha 2

Picture the scene: Leicester v Newcastle last game of the season (can’t remember the year but it was the 90s, it was sunny and pen 3 smelt of beer)

The Geordies (following a brief pitch invasion and a few flying chairs) give us some stick.

Our response: Silence. 

Oh no!  someone forgot to hand out the song sheets and the clappers.

• Haha 2